The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 PM

I don't hate it, but a little bit of that goes a long way with me...

Speaking for myself, if you're tapping/slapping continually thru a 3 minute tune, that's about 2 minutes past my personal limit...

A concert of it?

I'm like Bob Seger, in 10 minutes I'll be late for the door...
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
What, do you know the heart of every person who string taps? At least give it the old, IMHO.

A more important question might be, why does it bother you if some people don't like string tapping? Now, off the lawn.

I can put 3 cowboy chords together, btw.
scott
I was responding to

Quote:
always appears to be done more for "look at me"
I am certain it's not always, because I do it and it isn't for "look at me" reasons. No IMHO necessary.

It bothers me to hear one particular style treated with vitriol and its practitioners denigrated over and over, especially by people who from what I've heard can barely play themselves. Though you are likely an exception with your three chord prowess.

I don't care what you like or dislike. What bothers me is how it's somehow ok to poop all over an entire group of musicians and ascribe motives to them without any basis or evidence. Aren't we musicians united by an interest in the acoustic guitar? Would you walk up to me at a show and say the things you say here to my face? Would you boo? To what end? To make me feel bad about my life choices? What is accomplished in so doing? And what does that say about you?

Why does it bother you so much if some of your fellow musicians do string tapping that you feel moved to be disrespectful and mean-spirited about it on a public forum? Didn't anybody ever teach you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" growing up? What if your kids or students did the same thing, would you cheer them on like you did here?

I couldn't care less whether people like my music or not. I'm used to it. Doesn't change anything. What I want to hear can't be played any other way. I'm not going to stop because the peanut gallery thinks it's not cool.

There's plenty of music I don't like. I don't go around bashing that music like the AGF mob can't resist doing in the monthly thread about alternative techniques.

Be nice is a rule here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write