The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Bose s1 pro

These amp sounds great I have a Huss and Dalton 00sp with k and k
,Taylor gs mini,and classical guitars with the anthems .they all sound really good not even using preamp.i just wanted an amp with battery,and not weigh a ton .just an all around great small and light amp .
Taylor mini Koa,
huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides
Felix preamp
Aer compact 60/3
Fishman loadbox performer
bose s1 pro
Old 02-28-2018, 07:49 PM

Default Bose S1

Do they really sound as good as a few people say they do??
Old 03-01-2018, 05:47 AM

They get a lot of respect in a lot of places.

I've yet to get my hands on one.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I've gigged with mine 4 times so far and have owed some really stellar acoustic amps. This is the best tone I've ever had on stage. If you don't require a ton of volume the S1 is impressive. Vocals also sound excellent.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Mine is on the truck and out for delivery. I'll be posting a detailed NAD in a few days!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Mine is on the truck and out for delivery. I'll be posting a detailed NAD in a few days!
The quick and dirty test today was not promising. I only had a short amount of time with it before work so this is by no means the final review but my guitar straight into the amp was awful. Not nearly enough volume for even my small living room and any attempt to raise it up it gave feedback like crazy. Tone was even worse regardless of the Tonematch position and EQ.

Then ran it through my pre-amp/mixer set up and got much better tone and volume but still extremely prone to feedback. Lot's more experimenting to do for sure but I really needed this to be great with minimal inputs - just guitar and vocals. (Note: did not try a mic yet.)

If I have to run a couple pedals to get usable tone from the minimalist standpoint it will go back and get replaced by a K8.2. Stay tuned. Next opinion will be on it's own thread.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

The only time I've run into a feedback problem with my Bose (L1C) was using a guitar with a passive pickup. Using a small (battery powered) DI/EQ box solved that issue; made the guitar sound better, too. All my other guitars have active pickups, and there has been no issue. When first using the Bose, I (instinctively??) ran the volume louder than it needed to be (using it like the cabinets/horns PA it replaced).

Granted, not with an S1 (haven't even seen in in person, yet), but I would expect a similar reaction. Start with the volume low enough that you aren't getting feedback, then bring it up gradually to see where the problem crops up. Best positioning for me is with the Bose behind and to the side of my position, so my body is between the speaker and the mic.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM

Smile

Alright you guys! I couldn't take it any longer. Bought a S1 Pro from Sweetwater, it should arrive tomorrow. I sure hope it is as good as ya'll say. I'm still bummed out that Bose didn't make the 3rd. channel available for a guitar, guess I'm going to have to go the small mixer route.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM

If you're used to playing through acoustic amps, you should be delighted by the nuanced sound.

If you are used to gigging with a proper PA, you'll be delighted by its weight. Otherwise, your mileage WILL vary. :-)
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
Alright you guys! I couldn't take it any longer. Bought a S1 Pro from Sweetwater, it should arrive tomorrow. I sure hope it is as good as ya'll say. I'm still bummed out that Bose didn't make the 3rd. channel available for a guitar, guess I'm going to have to go the small mixer route.
Whatever you do, take the time to dial it in. I'm sure you've seen my NAD thread with the video. It took a little time but once I got the guitars pre-amp tone where it needed to be, the reproduction through the S1 was very nice. Vocals came even easier.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
If you're used to playing through acoustic amps, you should be delighted by the nuanced sound.

If you are used to gigging with a proper PA, you'll be delighted by its weight. Otherwise, your mileage WILL vary. :-)
Agree. I find if it’s behind me it gets fatiguing on the ears in a way my K8.2.

It’s a nice compact unit but if I had to choose I would take the K8.2 (which costs the same).
Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 AM

I'm still dying to make the trip to Nashville to check one out. Work and business and family stuff has tied me up for months.

I was thinking TWO of them for a duet with multiple instruments should cover a decent sized room.

Is it possible to use 2 mics in one unit? My mandolin and resonator don't have pickups, and a lot of times (for simplicity) I'll just use an SM57 for everything, including my Gibson acoustic (either a J-15 or a J-45).

In other words, one mic for vocals and one for instruments?

I wonder how 2 of them would work at an outdoor event? Loud enough?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Yes, it has two separate inputs, with independent EQ as well as Tone Match fixed settings for guitar, vocal, and off.

My wife sings on one channel and an acoustic guitar is on another.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I'm still dying to make the trip to Nashville to check one out. Work and business and family stuff has tied me up for months.

I was thinking TWO of them for a duet with multiple instruments should cover a decent sized room.

Is it possible to use 2 mics in one unit? My mandolin and resonator don't have pickups, and a lot of times (for simplicity) I'll just use an SM57 for everything, including my Gibson acoustic (either a J-15 or a J-45).

In other words, one mic for vocals and one for instruments?

I wonder how 2 of them would work at an outdoor event? Loud enough?
Once you get beyond what a single S1 can do by itself, the value proposition diminishes significantly.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 PM

Well, I received the Bose S1 Pro and spent three days trying to find a good and consistent tone. I used all of my guitars and mics and eventually found an acceptable guitar and vocal sound. But, although it is hard to explain, the S1 seemed to change EQ at various times all by itself. Yes, different positions did produce the advertised automatic EQ, but I was hearing changes without moving it. Perhaps it was just my singing and guitar playing style but it needed constant adjustments. So . . . I returned it and ordered a Schertler Jam 100.

The Jam 100 arrived this afternoon and I spent a couple of hours with it. Just as with the S1 Pro, I plugged straight in without any pedals, etc. The headroom and 3 band EQ are exceptional for such a small package and the three input channels fit my needs. I think this one may be a keeper!

Tomorrow I'll use my other mics and guitars through it and report back.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification