The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Default Opinions on the Stonebridge g23cr?

Hey guys,

As many of you probably know I'm in the long search for another guitar, one more suited to my needs. I've exhausted the stores in my area (they only carry Taylor, Martin and the occasional McPherson anyway) so I'm speculating before I take any serious journeys.

I play primarily fingerstyle but also do a lot of session work so I need some versatility. The instrument that has most recently come into my sites is the Stonebridge g23cr. A couple of my idols use or have used them. Do any of you guys own one or have any experience with them? My (somewhat petty) concern is that I'm looking for an "upgrade" from my Taylor yet the Stonebridge is of a lesser value. I'm not sure how this translates to craftsmanship/quality of materials.

For those of you who need a better idea of what I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUcbVBy_nGc
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 03-18-2012, 06:06 PM

I have a Stonebridge G23CM and it is a wonderful guitar. I would rate it above many other high end guitars and is (at least in the UK) one of the best value for money guitars out there. I have played several Stonebridge guitars including the G23CR and again it is great. It has a lot more of a ring to it than my mahogany version and in my opinion is a much better looking instrument (but I do like the look of rosewood more).

Many top players use Stonebridge and they seem to be doing fine .
Old 03-18-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
I have a Stonebridge G23CM and it is a wonderful guitar. I would rate it above many other high end guitars and is (at least in the UK) one of the best value for money guitars out there. I have played several Stonebridge guitars including the G23CR and again it is great. It has a lot more of a ring to it than my mahogany version and in my opinion is a much better looking instrument (but I do like the look of rosewood more).

Many top players use Stonebridge and they seem to be doing fine .

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

PRS CE22
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 PM

Can't discuss prices on the forum but I will send you a PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
Can't discuss prices on the forum but I will send you a PM.
Oh really they put that rule back in place? Thanks very much though!

PRS CE22
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fichtezc View Post
Oh really they put that rule back in place? Thanks very much though!
I'm fairly certain you can still discuss prices.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I've seen lotsnof pricing info. Seems to be ok.

As for the Stonebridge, I played that model at an appointment-only shop in NJ, and was very surprised at the tonal response all across the strings and the volume (projection?) that the guitar has. The fit and finish were excellent. I was very impressed.

Please keep in mind, I am not a Martin guy. No offense to anyone that is, but for me, they just don't make me want to own one. I think the Stonebridge was head and shoulders better sounding than any Martin I've played. And the neck was very comfortable too. It was a beauty and I don't think you'd regret the purchase.

That being said, I didn't buy it, or any other Stonebridge model. Per my signature, I am a Taylor guy, and while I didn't know it at the time, I was hunting for the sound of my maple GSCE. Had that not been the case, though, or if I were in the market now, I would easily consider that model again.

Hope that helps a bit,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Hi Fichtezc,

I have never played the particular model Stonebridge you are referring to but I have a Stonebridge D24SR and a Taylor 710ce. Between the two guitars, I prefer the Stonebridge.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 PM

I had a G25CR and really miss it. Compared to the sitka variety it sounded darker, trebs were thicker and the bass deeper. Depending on the strings it can either sound closer to fundamenals or bring out the over-tones. I found the Dean Markley's PhosBronze pefect for it.

I tried a >4 yr old taylor 514 side by side with it and they were close in sound. The 514 was a bit tighter even with the age difference, G25cr was only a few months old. The looks, however, put the 514 a far second and it was more expensive!

Furch/Stonebridge = value for money.

Last edited by mcoliver77; 03-18-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Dang iphone keyboard!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Hearing a lot of good things, this may be a winner. Thanks guys!

PRS CE22
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 AM

I wouldn't worry about the perceived value - Furch/Stonebridge are very high end guitars and a G23cr will be a lovely guitar. If you look at this way - my wife's OM23sf (spruce/flame maple) is roughly comparable to a Taylor GC6. Here in Sweden the Furch costs less than half the Taylor. The build quality is great, the flame maple on her guitar is gorgeous and the faux-tortoiseshell binding and tuner buttons coupled with gold-plated hardware really makes it somewhat of a luxury guitar for less than the price of a Taylor 300 series. What's more Furch don't graft the headstock with a fingerjoint anymore, similar to How Taylor used to, the neck (apart from the heel) is all one piece.

I have also played a G23 with a cedar top and rosewood back and sides. Again, fantastic build quality and beautiful woods, though this time the guitar didn't impress as much, but I think the guitar was in need of a good setup!

In conclusion, I'd buy a G23cr in a heartbeat, even untried if it hasn't been hanging on a dealer's wall too long.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 AM

I think this gutar is one of the best to come out of Furch / Stonebridge.

Im fortnate to live in the country where they are produced and visited the main showroom and played all the guitars. This was one of the best 3-4 in the shop.

Its ideally suited for fingerpickers, very rich and warm, amazingly responsive.

Highly rated.

On a side note, locally they are priced around 60% less than you would buy them new in the US. I think the model you ar talking about goes for around $1200 new. I know the Prague dealer ships them across Europe, perhaps US also ?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 03-19-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 AM

You can see what Stonebridge I own from my signature. If you like the neck on your Taylor guitar then you will feel at home with the Stonebridge neck, but they vary quite a bit because of their hand-built (finished) nature. There is nothing that matches the projection, sustain and overall tonal quality... in the guitars that I own.. but that's not saying much!!
You already have heros that play them and so do I.. Having praised them.. Mine sits either on the wall or in it's case.. I hardly ever play it!! It comes back to the neck. I'm just not comfortable with the nature of it's neck. For me it just isn't all that playable. I prefer a full bodied (if that is a description) neck. The neck on my Stonebridge is too Taylorish. FWIW..
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 AM

Thats quite a good point. Stonebridge seems to focus on Taylor neck design for their GA models and very much the full Martin neck for their dreads and OM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
You can see what Stonebridge I own from my signature. If you like the neck on your Taylor guitar then you will feel at home with the Stonebridge neck, but they vary quite a bit because of their hand-built (finished) nature. There is nothing that matches the projection, sustain and overall tonal quality... in the guitars that I own.. but that's not saying much!!
You already have heros that play them and so do I.. Having praised them.. Mine sits either on the wall or in it's case.. I hardly ever play it!! It comes back to the neck. I'm just not comfortable with the nature of it's neck. For me it just isn't all that playable. I prefer a full bodied (if that is a description) neck. The neck on my Stonebridge is too Taylorish. FWIW..
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 AM

I have a 23cr and swear by them; they are good all around guitars leaning more towards the fingerstyle approach. probably not as bright as taylors but close, if thats what you want. I'd recommend getting one with an aged top if you can find one or if you have the patience to order one with an aged top.
I've had mine nearly five years and it holds up well. I personally think it plays better than most as I seem to get around it easier than some of the other guitars I own or have owned.
its a lot more guitar than what others are in that price range. resale value isn't that great. there seem to be a bunch on Ebay that don't move.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion