The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2018, 09:38 PM

Default acoustic guitar plugged into fender deluxe reverb

Curious. I've got 2 acoustics with K&K pure mini's. Trying to justify getting one for both electric and acoustic. Convincing the wife lol!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 PM

Well, you can probably get some cool sounds plugging acoustic guitars into a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp - I mean, that's a classic amp. But the sounds you get probably won't sound too much like an acoustic guitar. If you're trying to get an authentic acoustic guitar sound, you'd be better off getting a Fishman Loudbox or a Fender Acoustasonic amp instead.

Fishman Loudbox

Fender Acoustasonic

Of course, if you really just want to get the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp and using it for your acoustic guitars is nothing more than a ploy to convince your wife, none of us can stand in your way. But it's truly not an optimal amp for acoustic guitars with piezo pickups like the K&K's.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones4fido View Post
Curious. I've got 2 acoustics with K&K pure mini's. Trying to justify getting one for both electric and acoustic. Convincing the wife lol!
I've had to plug into electric-guitar amps due to crazy-brief setup time for a quick set with a Road Series Martin and its dreaded Sonitone pickup, and it sounded abysmal. YMMV. Going forward after that in the same scenario I'm able to use a Bugera AC60--which *is* for acoustic guitar + vocal--and it sounds tons better (though Sonitone, you can only do so much).
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 PM

If you're just trying to convince the wife then heck yeah it'll work!

If you really want it to sound like an acoustic, well, not so much. But a Deluxe Reverb is a great amp for electric.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 PM

I’m thinking you’re just fishing for justification.

FWIW I’ve been playing my K&K PWM equipped Larrivee through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the past 10+ years and I don’t think it sounds abysmal.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 AM

I have a Princeton and a Deluxe, I like the Princton better for electric but neither is very good with an acoustic guitar. You might consider a direct box/preamp and go through a pa instead of an acoustic amp.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

I agree with some of the comments above,

I have a vintage Fender Silver face deluxe, it's a great amp for electric guitar,
not so much for acoustic, if you really want a true acoustic tone.

I use a Fender acoustasonic Junior, and also a LR Baggs acoustic reference amp, depending on the playing situation, both are great acoustic amps, the Baggs is my favorite, but the acoustasonic is a great amp in it's own right
Old 03-24-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Convince her of what? If the bills are being paid and you are making intelligent decisions, it should be your decision what you spend your part of the discretionary Income on. Do not use credit, cash only and she would be a lot more comfortable with the purchase. my wife has never really sad much if anything about my purchases. If I took out a mortgage to buy the John Meyer PRS sig Strat and the JM sig double stack, we would have a major problem.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 03-24-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:52 AM

A good DR set up with decent headroom and a pickup system that has reasonable impedence (Fishman barn-door preamps, I’m looking at you) sound pretty good. If you can get a D120F as the speaker, so much the better......
Old 03-24-2018, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pluggin my D35 with a Sunrise into a Vibrolux Reverb was my sound for many years, add an original TS9 and an Echoplex in between. Don't mistake it for anything slightly acoustic, though. It's just a really big hollow body electric. And no, feedback was never a real issue, unless you were standing in front of the amp, pounding the sound board with your fist. Then the feedback was the howl of god on judgement day. Bow down, heathens!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:56 AM

Default Acoustic amp

The whole idea with an electric guitar is to generate a sound that's going to be manipulated by all the petals, effects and everything else that goes along with playing electric guitars.

For that reason the amps aren't designed for a clean faithful sound.

Acoustic guitar is all about the sound of the acoustic guitar. Acoustic amps are designed to be as clean and faithful as possible to the original sound coming into them.

Can you play and acoustic guitar through an electric amp? Certainly!

Can you get it really sound like an acoustic guitar? Not on my less than humble opinion.

By the way, the Fishman loud box mini is an excellent small amp you might want to take a look at that as well.

Again just my opinion, but you did ask
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 AM

I have a Boss AD-3 pedal/processor that has a selector switch on the back that is supposed to work magic on the output signal when it is plugged into a standard guitar amp. I've never used it so I can't say how well it actually works. Perhaps other can chime in on this

Could be a reason to buy both...
Old 03-24-2018, 07:03 AM

I have a Carvin Nomad 112 that sounds amazing with my acoustics and electric both. I discovered this amp at my luthier's place after he installed a pickup in one of my acoustics. He said, "Lets plug it in and see how it sounds." Plugged it into his Nomad and it sounded very natural, so I asked him what amp that was and I bought one.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

If you go with a magnetic sound hole pickup like a Black Angel, Sunrise, M80, etc. it will work fine with a deluxe reverb.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:01 AM

At an open mic I went to last week, the host plugs everyone's guitars into a Fender Twin that's there, rather than the PA.
The volume is low, and the sound is more than adequate. I think the minute you start getting the volume over '2', though, it's not going to sound very good.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification