The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Default Tried DR Sunbeam Strings For The First Time

In large part due to the reviews of people on this forum whose opinions I respect I decided to put a set of DR Sunbeam 12's on my D2H. I've been a devotee of John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights for a long time but I found that the Sunbeams decrease the stiffness that was characteristic of the Pearse strings on this guitar so its playability has improved via easier fretting and note bending. I also noticed that the Sunbeams are holding pitch better than the JP's, the overtones seem to blend better and the tone has a smoothness to it versus a louder more cutting sound that the JP's produced. Overall for the D2H with the improved playability and excellent tone I think I'll probably switch to the DR Sunbeams.

I also put a set of DR Sunbeam 13's on my J-15. The results were not so impressive as with the Collings. Perhaps due to the Martin's all mahogany construction the Sunbeams seemed a little too mellow. A nice tone but for this guitar I like the cut that the John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings impart to the sound. This is a guitar that needs a bit of an edge and I think the JP's are a better fit. And by the way the Sunbeam 13's do seem to have the same playability on this guitar as JP 12's which is what I'll go back to on the next string change.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Catdaddy,

Interesting comments. I put DR Sunbeam 13's on my '68 Martin D-35, which is RW/spruce and they worked really well. My wife, who has exceptionally good ears, commented that it was like having a new guitar, a different tone. I also put a set on my Gibson AJ and also on my Taylor GS8. Both sounded very good; both are Rosewood/Spruce.

However, I can see the effect of these slightly mellow DR Sunbeam strings on your Mahagony J-15. My wife has an all-mahagony Gibson LG-0 and it really needs bright strings.

Glad they worked for your Collings. I can't remember who clued me in on DR Sunbeams on this forum, maybe Rich from Addison, TX. Either way, they are a good find for the right guitar.

Regards, Glenn
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM

I'm a fan of the Sunnys also. I've done the buy a bunch of brands, record them fresh and at a pre-determined change interval and compare at a later date thing. They are a bit mellower out of the box than my 2nd choice out of those tests (Martin SP) but recorded better at the change (25 hrs). The playability and sustain that holds in tune have me captured for now. I use them on my rosewood dread and my mahogany 12 string and I'm very pleased with them on both.

I do have to admidt if the Curt Managan's I've tried recently were as comfortable I would likely switch, they too have a similar sustain and are brighter but are considerably stiffer. I am surprised with the Sunbeam lifespan too, they hold up very well for a non-coated string. I usually change strings about 25/30 hours (about once a month), for general clean up and out of habit, and I can't say they need changing at that point. Very nice strings.

I can see your point with your J-15, not all guitars respond alike, I guess that's why it seems like an endless quest, but relatively cheap entertainment too.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Iīve just received some DR Sunbeams, 12'54s, for the first time to put on my handbuilt Hullah. On hearing these experiences, itīll be interesting how they sound because this is a guitar of cedar and mahogany which has thus far benefited from bright strings. It may sound too muted. A ver...
Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM

I had to order some new strings last week and just put my first set of Sunbeams on my Taylor 614CE last night. They sounded pretty good, tonight is band rehearsal so I'll get ample opportunity to check them out, so far so good though!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM

I have noticed that they do sound great on Spruce/Rosewood guit's as well. I was also surprised at how long they last.
Alvarez MD 60
Gibson Les Paul
Fender Twin Reverb
1965 Fender Vibrolux reverb
Genz Benz 150 LT.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

The Sunbeams to me fall in the middle tonewise, not too bright and not too dark, all my Martins wear 13's.

While I like them on my one hog, D-18GE, it has an Adi top and I could see an all hog guitar maybe needing a brighter string like Martin SP's or maybe DR Rares.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker View Post
I have noticed that they do sound great on Spruce/Rosewood guit's as well. I was also surprised at how long they last.
Ok you guys have convinced me. After all the talk ive heard about Sunbeams I bought a couple packs...we will see what theyre like on my new Yamaha LL16D..engleman/rosewood, anc Im going to put a set on my son's Alverez...hopeully they wont be dull, as I purchased them before I read those statements. I have heard a of of good things about them too tho....so I aint a sceered
Old 11-15-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbankjr View Post
Ok you guys have convinced me. After all the talk ive heard about Sunbeams I bought a couple packs...we will see what theyre like on my new Yamaha LL16D..engleman/rosewood, anc Im going to put a set on my son's Alverez...hopeully they wont be dull, as I purchased them before I read those statements. I have heard a of of good things about them too tho....so I aint a sceered
Hope they work for you.

I can't recall seeing the resurrection of an almost seven-year-old thread.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Hope they work for you.

I can't recall seeing the resurrection of an almost seven-year-old thread.

I think we generally accept that DR make good strings by now.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Spooky thread. I just recently put 12s on my Martin and Guild, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion