The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Talking Picking a Blueberry!!

On my way to the offices for Blueberry Guitars tomorrow. I know for some that the ornate carving may not be to their liking, I however think they are beautiful. Not only do they look awesome they are supposed to be a beautiful sounding and playing guitar. I will post pics and a review tomorrow!! Another sleepless night!!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Talking

Obviously lots of lookers at this thread but no replies. I am back from Montreal and came back with not one but two spectacular Blueberry Guitars. For those that don't know them Blueberry is relatively new...a couple of years since startup. I picked up a Grand Concert size cutaway with a stunning cedar top and rosewood back and sides. Has an carved ebony headstock, carved with a celtic design and ebony fret board with beautiful abalone and wood inlay. A carved ebony bridge, also with celtic design. The rosewwood is also quite spectacular and both the sides and back are also carved. The back with a beautiful crouching tiger and the sides with celtic knot type of design. The setup on this guitar seems to be perfect for me. The action is nice and low. The inside of the guitar is neat and tidy....no glue blobs or anything like that. The guitar literally just sings, great base response, ringing trebles and a nice even balance across the strings. The guitar comes with a dark blue hardshell case with the Blueberry name in gold and lifetime warranty and a hand carved ebony Blueberry key chain. This guitar is nothing short of spectacular to look at and and sounds as good as it looks. I will post pictures as soon as my batteries are charged for my camera.

The second guitar is a dreadnaught without cutaway. Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides. I will post my review on this one later as I can't put down the Concert size model. Check out the Blueberry add on page 46 of the March issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine.

I'll be back with pics and more thoughts later!!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Monty Python might have some thoughts...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Blueberry guitar

I now have 4 blueberry guitars and I have to say I am very impressed with them. Very unique sound - the tenor side just rings. I have three Grand concerts and one dreadnought. My favorite is the Grand concert carved top. Some of the best quitars I have. Good luck on finding the one you want....you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Vision; 03-11-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart4328 View Post
I know for some that the ornate carving may not be to their liking, I however think they are beautiful.
Sweet! I'd never heard of them before but I checked their website out. Very cool!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Not my thing, but the world economy fascinates me. Are these built in China? Vietnam? Malaysia? Then shipped to Bali for carving? Then shipped to Canada for distribution?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Exclamation

Here is the story on Blueberry Guitars. The company is owned by Danny Fonfeder. He was on business in Bali and ended up staying longer than he originally thought. Being an avid guitarist and missing one while he was away he decided to go shopping. He bought a guitar, but while he was shopping he noticed the quality of work that was around from Balinese wood carvers. As it turned out the guitar he bought was quite disappointing. He asked who the best wood carver was in Bali and he was directed to Wayan Tuges. Wayan made Danny a guitar which looked great but acoustically it just wasn't there. Upon Dannys return to Canada he contacted George Morris of the Vermont school of luthery. George spent many months in Bali with Wayan and Danny and the three formed a partnership. They built a shop in Bali, which they own, so the guitars are not sub contracted out, and they now employ about 47 people full time. The employees are well looked after and well treated. The shop is completely climate controlled. They build roughly 25-30 guitars a month. These guitars are all hand built and hand carved. They are truly outstanding in terms of their visual quality, but more importantly their tonal quality. I have a spruce/mahogany model which is just mind blowing. People who have played it have all said that they have never heard a more beautiful sounding guitar. I have owned Martin HD 28's x 2, Guild F50R, Blueridge Br183, 2 Avalons and I can honestly say that I am astounded by the two guitars I have. With a production of lets say 400 guitars a year for all of North America I can safely say that as the word gets out, you will have a hard time getting one at the price they are currently being offered at. Well worth looking at!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Stewart,
Glad you found some guitars that you love. Play them in good health.
LC
Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I contacted them with a custom question over a week ago and haven't heard back.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 AM

I know for a fact that they are over the top busy right now. It may take awhile, be patient. It's a small operation over here.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM

I find their guitars very interesting and would love to hear your review of them and some photos.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart4328 View Post

I'll be back with pics and more thoughts later!!
Did I miss the pics?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Smile I love my Blueberry

I also own a Blueberry Guitar - a Grand Concert with a rose motif in the headstock. Before buying the guitar, I did side by side comparisons with other acoustic guitars and found the Blueberry to be superior in sound. I had my friends give their opinions as well and they agreed. My Blueberry is a companion for personal playing pleasure as well as for performance. It's equipped with an L.R. Baggs I-beam (active pick-up) and I process the sound with the L.R. Baggs Para-Acoustic D.I. box which allows me to achieve higher volumes while performing without feedback. The Blueberry not only looks great (a real conversation starter) but it provides a clear, natural and well balanced acoustic guitar sound. The sound you hear on the Blueberry Guitar website is very representative of the actual guitar sound - crisp and clear. I play in a variety of styles (fingerstyle, celtic, folk, blues and jazz) and the Blueberry performs well in all of these applications.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Contact the owner

If you are having trouble getting someone to return your call - here is the number of the owner - I talk to him quite often and he is a great guy. Where do you get a chance to talk to the owner of the company these days Tell him Leslie from Texas gave you the number - after buying 4 from him, I think he will remember the name

Danny Fonfeder
514-497-9784

If I could figure out how to get pictures on here, I would show you the four I have. I have one of the carved tops - and it is my favorite.

Last edited by Vision; 03-12-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 AM

Let's see if I figured this out - This is a carved front Grand concert Lobster - they have only make 10 carved fronts from what I have been told. The wood on the back and sides are cherry wood.

[img]http://www.ovationfanclub.com/photos/vision_5191_LobsterGC0801281010.jpg[img]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion