The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Default Looking for a little Eastman advice

Looking for some input here. I have been back into the game after a bunch of years away from playing. So after a lot of research and playing guitars locally, I bought a new 2014 Takamine P4DC off of the internet through Reverb at a very good price. I really really like this guitar but didn’t realize what a handful (armful) it was after playing it for a week. It’s like wrestling a water buffalo. I have a few days to decide whether I keep it or send it back for a refund or swap. By the way, I have had surgery in both shoulders. My left shoulder surgery was about 12 weeks ago so I am factoring that in also. Goal is to possibly downsize to an OM /GA size guitar.

The music store I bought the Takamine from also has Eastman guitars which he said he would swap with me. I am looking at the E10OM but have never played one. When I went to some stores and played locally I realized I am not into that Taylor sound. Too much treble ringing from their guitars for me. I love the Martin DM15 sound so I do like some bass. So now I’m trying to find a balance of a guitar that will offer good bass plus not too much highs like the Taylor models and hoping maybe one of the Eastman’s like the 06 or E10 will fit the bill. The Eastman AC508CE looks promising too which I can exchange for a little more upgrade price. I will not be able to play any of these models before exchanging.

One more thing – I am recording some music so also want to make sure the guitar sounds balanced for that. The AC508 states it’s a good guitar for that purpose.

A mahogany body with spruce top or all mahogany seems to be a good combo for my ears. Thanks for any input.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Gary, I have owned 4 Eastmans and played a substantial number of others.

If you want warm, with a decent amount of bass you should look at the E8OM. Rosewood gives good bass response and their OM's have plenty of punch.

Although the lower bout specs on the 508 look the same as an OM - it is a smaller guitar. Narrower at the waist and upper bout. The 508 is a nice guitar but very sparkly with a lot of treble and midrange. If you don't care for the Taylor tone I would not recommend it. Excellent for fingerstyle though.

If you like the sound of Mahogany Eastman also sells a very spartan looking model called the AC-OM2 (as you can see, I own one). Very warm and dark sounding - quite similar to a Martin 000-15m. I was OTD for way less than 5 bills with mine brand new.

If you want volume go with the E8OM - if you want warm, chocolaty tone you may want to consider the AC-OM2. Not as loud but excellent tone. Depends on how you wanna use it. Do you play just for yourself or for others?

BTW, I just sold an ac522. BIG sound and excellent tone but too large for me to play comfortably. They are thicker that the Taylor GA's in the lower bout.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Thanks for that information Roy.

The Taylor's I played were Rosewood and I thought that caused that trebly brightness. I'll look into the E8OM for sure.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MO View Post
Thanks for that information Roy.

The Taylor's I played were Rosewood and I thought that caused that trebly brightness. I'll look into the E8OM for sure.
No, that is part of Taylors signature sound. Mahogany pushes more treble & mids while RW pushes more bass. RW DOES have a signature sound that rings with overtones that some consider metallic - this may have been what you heard.

Taylor = somewhat bright
Martin = somewhat dark/bassy
Eastman = hybrid sound - 75% Martin bass & warmth with a boost in the treble (25% Taylor)[IMG]

Here is a chart about tone woods that might help.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Gary, I have owned 4 Eastmans and played a substantial number of others.

If you want warm, with a decent amount of bass you should look at the E8OM. Rosewood gives good bass response and their OM's have plenty of punch.

Although the lower bout specs on the 508 look the same as an OM - it is a smaller guitar. Narrower at the waist and upper bout. The 508 is a nice guitar but very sparkly with a lot of treble and midrange. If you don't care for the Taylor tone I would not recommend it. Excellent for fingerstyle though.

If you like the sound of Mahogany Eastman also sells a very spartan looking model called the AC-OM2 (as you can see, I own one). Very warm and dark sounding - quite similar to a Martin 000-15m. I was OTD for way less than 5 bills with mine brand new.

If you want volume go with the E8OM - if you want warm, chocolaty tone you may want to consider the AC-OM2. Not as loud but excellent tone. Depends on how you wanna use it. Do you play just for yourself or for others?

BTW, I just sold an ac522. BIG sound and excellent tone but too large for me to play comfortably. They are thicker that the Taylor GA's in the lower bout.
I have a Eastman AC320 and was considering the AC-OM2. Since I bought the AC320 via Internet and not local I was chatting with the same salesman about the OM model and he told me he thought the OM2 was bright and perhaps not built as solid as the AC320. I found that odd and it caught me by surprise. Now I am wondering if I should dismiss what he said as I must admit those comments of his resonated and I took it of my GAS/Want list. I like the idea of a smaller guitar from time to time especially one that has some warm tones, even if they are a bit more intimate. What's your take on this?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I have a Eastman AC320 and was considering the AC-OM2. Since I bought the AC320 via Internet and not local I was chatting with the same salesman about the OM model and he told me he thought the OM2 was bright and perhaps not built as solid as the AC320. I found that odd and it caught me by surprise. Now I am wondering if I should dismiss what he said as I must admit those comments of his resonated and I took it of my GAS/Want list. I like the idea of a smaller guitar from time to time especially one that has some warm tones, even if they are a bit more intimate. What's your take on this?
Either your salesman thought you meant the AC-OM1, is a dread lover or he is clueless. The 320 is a great dread with that fundamental punch that Spruce over Hog provide. The OM-2 is a totally different animal in every respect.

The AC-OM2 has a warm, deep, resonant voice - very similar to the Martin 000-15m. Balanced but more towards the bass end of the tone spectrum. It is not a loud guitar but the tone is great and if you are a singer/player it blends great with vocals (mine anyways). I have a deep(ish) voice and I always thought a brighter guitar was a better pairing - boy was I wrong.

The AC-OM2 seems just as well made as my E6 and the AC522 I just sold only with a simpler, more austere appearance. It is very well made.

You should call and ask someone who knows this guitar like Ted at LA Guitar Sales or Robinson at Soundpure music in Durham, NC (where I bought mine). They can tell you the real scoop on them.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Either your salesman thought you meant the AC-OM1, is a dread lover or he is clueless. The 320 is a great dread with that fundamental punch that Spruce over Hog provide. The OM-2 is a totally different animal in every respect.

The AC-OM2 has a warm, deep, resonant voice - very similar to the Martin 000-15m. Balanced but more towards the bass end of the tone spectrum. It is not a loud guitar but the tone is great and if you are a singer/player it blends great with vocals (mine anyways). I have a deep(ish) voice and I always thought a brighter guitar was a better pairing - boy was I wrong.

The AC-OM2 seems just as well made as my E6 and the AC522 I just sold only with a simpler, more austere appearance. It is very well made.

You should call and ask someone who knows this guitar like Ted at LA Guitar Sales or Robinson at Soundpure music in Durham, NC (where I bought mine). They can tell you the real scoop on them.
Yeah what he said in this particular case really threw me. It didn't make sense
especially that part about them being overly bright. This salesman was spot on with 2 other purchase recommendations that I ended up going with. Might just have to chat with people you suggested.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion