The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I have found that some Gibsons require that you place your fretting finger as close to the fret wire as possible, or a slight buzz can result. This happens on all guitars to some degree, but for some reason my Gibsons have been especially sensitive in this regard.
When I get home tonight, I'll experiment with this. I've been playing for about 25 years, and playing this guitar for about 18 (its my only guitar), so I doubt I've changed my technique recently. Although, its possible I just didn't notice it. I have been paying more attention to nuances in sound lately with all the changes I've had done.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
If you capo on fret one, two, or three... Do you still get the buzz? If not, perhaps it's your new nut. I'm guessing the slots could be better cut.
I still get the buzz on the 21st fret, so I'm assuming that rules out the frets and the nut.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Just throwing it out there....My guitar buzzes like that when the end pin button that screws into the end pick jack loosens. It's a horrible buzz and almost sound like loose bracing.
I've checked that the end button is tight. It's a taylor button that's made to fit the 1/2" hole left over from an end pin jack. Could these rattle somehow even when tight?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
I had a weird buzz on one of my Larsons that drove me crazy. I finally found that one of the string ball ends wasn't fully seated against the bridge plate and was vibrating against the pin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
Could it be a string ball end on the inside that isn't pulled up snug against the bridge plate?
It's lasted through 3 different types of strings and both before and after the bridge plate repair. I doubt this is the issue, but I'll check with a mirror tonight to be sure.

See my more detailed reply to Willie Voltaire
Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1 View Post
There's your problem.....it's the J45 rejecting the 'transplant' if this proves to be incorrect I'm out of ideas
I really laughed out loud at this You're probably on to something!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustophersmob View Post
I really laughed out loud at this You're probably on to something!
Sorry I couldn't be more help, I have a 94 j-45 myself and I recently changed out the strings ( with the exact same brand/ gauge) and I have noticed a 'shimmer' for lack of a better term ( I suppose it could be described as a 'buzz') and I'm in the NE region and the air is EXTREMELY dry here this time of year so I attribute it to the aforementioned phenomenon of low humidity (sorry, I forget which poster mentioned it) and will wait until things moisten up a bit and see if it changes anything. Good luck with your problem.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM

I agree, it's probably not the ball ends. I'm grasping here, but is there any chance the truss rod could have come adrift?

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I agree, it's probably not the ball ends. I'm grasping here, but is there any chance the truss rod could have come adrift?
That's what I thought when I had it at my luthier for the bridge plate repair. He tapped around and didn't think that's what it was. If I don't figure anything else out, I'll take it back in a few weeks and have him look over it again. I used the truss rod to set the relief, so it seems like its functioning. Doesn't mean it can't make noise, though.

Short of tapping on the body and neck, is there a better way to test for a loose truss rod or brace?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1 View Post
Sorry I couldn't be more help, I have a 94 j-45 myself and I recently changed out the strings ( with the exact same brand/ gauge) and I have noticed a 'shimmer' for lack of a better term ( I suppose it could be described as a 'buzz') and I'm in the NE region and the air is EXTREMELY dry here this time of year so I attribute it to the aforementioned phenomenon of low humidity (sorry, I forget which poster mentioned it) and will wait until things moisten up a bit and see if it changes anything. Good luck with your problem.
No worries! The good thing about not being able to get it in for a few weeks is it gives me some time to really make sure the humidity is right in the case. Yesterday my hygrometer was reading 50%. It just snowed and the humidity dropped quite a bit today, so we'll see tonight where its at.

I've currently got a Gibson branded clay pot humidifier by the neck heel, a music nomad humiditar in the sound hole and a sponge in a baggie by the headstock.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustophersmob View Post
That's what I thought when I had it at my luthier for the bridge plate repair. He tapped around and didn't think that's what it was. If I don't figure anything else out, I'll take it back in a few weeks and have him look over it again. I used the truss rod to set the relief, so it seems like its functioning. Doesn't mean it can't make noise, though.

Short of tapping on the body and neck, is there a better way to test for a loose truss rod or brace?
Adjustable truss rods are set in a cavity in the neck with at least a little space around them. Something could be loose in there that could cause a buzz. It could have been loosened when the rod was adjusted.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Adjustable truss rods are set in a cavity in the neck with at least a little space around them. Something could be loose in there that could cause a buzz. It could have been loosened when the rod was adjusted.
That's a good thought. Do you know of any way to check for that other than tapping around?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I haven't read if you've switched out the horn pins, have you? Sorry if I missed it, but if you haven't...
Old 02-09-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
I haven't read if you've switched out the horn pins, have you? Sorry if I missed it, but if you haven't...
Not yet, but that's the next thing in gonna try.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:40 AM

Well, I changed the bridge pins back to the ebony ones I had in there for years and the buzz is still there.

In the process of playing around with it, I also realized I could sometimes duplicate the buzz playing the 12th fret harmonic on the E and A strings. Seems to further reinforce it isn't related to the frets.

I have no ode what this could be...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion