The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTrail View Post
I don,t think people bash Taylor many love them on the forum we all have what we think is the best sounding. Heck one of my guitars is a Larrivee many dislike them the important thing is I like it that,s all that matters.
Yes- many love Taylors around here AND Larrivees too! I have all 3 brands and like 'em all lots.. My Martin is a 40 year old D-28 but I've played plenty of D-18's and the new ones are fabulous. I also love my Taylor 314ce with a custom Mahogany top. I've played many 414's as well. A lot will depend on your current needs if you're planning on owning both someday.. I personally like Martin's for big strumming and great flatpicking. I prefer my Taylor and Larrivee for fingerstyle playing and intimate stuff- although I think a good mahogany dread like a D-18 or both my older Guilds are quite capable in that department..
Follow your ears, heart and hands and the answer will come to you.. No one here is right or wrong...

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:09 AM

Both great choices. They are very different as you know, I'm partial to the 18 series Martins. Nice to have choices !
Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 AM

IF you plan to play out in in a full band with another guitarist and a keyboard player, you're better off with the 414-CE.

The 414 will sit better in the mix, and the fact it's set up to be played live, makes it the better candidate.

The 414 will sound more balance in a live mix through a sound system, and you won't get covered up by the bass, keys, and drums if mixed properly.

In a full band mix, the D-18 most likely will get lost in the mix because it's low mid and bass tones will not cut.

If you plan to play at home of sit on the porch with friends picking, then the D-18 is the way to go.

I've played a ton of live concert gigs with many other Nashville and Texas country bands over the years, and I seen VERY few Martins on stage.

Most of the guitars I saw these touring bands using were Takamine or Taylor.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 AM

I own both Taylors and Martins. You might want to check out a Taylor GS style before you grab the GA (-16 vs -14). I used to own several GA's, including a 914ce.
After getting a GS cedar/rosewood, I got rid of the GA's.

I play fingerstyle most of the time, and usually do it on a dreadnought. If you keep your eye on the AGF classifieds, you might be able to grab a slightly used Taylor and Martin within your budget for just one...
Old 01-12-2016, 10:33 AM

The new Martin D-18 is a great guitar with lots of punch at a great price point. I think it will give you that classic Martin sound that so many love. I think it you like flatpicking, bluegrass/country, and some of the older stuff, it would work out great. It 'should' be the obvious choice.

The Taylor 414 (i'd recommend finding a used limited with Rosewood) is also a great guitar. It has a more modern sound, responds well to fingerpicking as well as strumming, and its curvy body shape (though not much smaller than a dread) is more comfortable than a dread for many.

Overall, if it were me, I'd just sit there and play each side by side for a long time, and then a few more times. Comfort is huge for me, and if it's slightly uncomfortable, I'll seem to put it down earlier. Just pick what feels good and matches that sound and style in your head.

Overall, it's two winning paths. I'd get one (then save up and get the other used later! They'd make a nice pair!). Overall, if I had to choose right this second... Probably the 414 for me. Ask me tomorrow.... Maybe the D-18.
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqsrv View Post
It's very interesting that it's a landslide for the Martin.
Anyone think the Taylor?
Yes, I recommend the Taylor.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Yes, I recommend the Taylor.

Yeah...for no real reason that you explain but only because it has Taylor on the headstock.

Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
Yeah...for no real reason that you explain but only because it has Taylor on the headstock.

Classic.

I'll let him use my real word reasons for recommending a Taylor.

Lets hear your real world stage experience and hear why the Martin would be a better choice.

I'm not particular to any brand, but I do know that this forum is Pro Martin to the Nth degree, and most don't have any real gigging experience to say why it's any better than a Taylor.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I'll let him use my real word reasons for recommending a Taylor.

Lets hear your real world stage experience and hear why the Martin would be a better choice.

I'm not particular to any brand, but I do know that this forum is Pro Martin to the Nth degree, and most don't have any real gigging experience to say why it's any better than a Taylor.

I already did that. Read the entire thread before jumping in at the end and asking me to do something I've already done. AmericanEagle, on the other hand, has offered no reason why the OP should purchase a Taylor.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 PM

Well it looks like I am going to keep on beating this dead horse.
I have been traveling for work this past week so it has put off my purchase. I did find myself in an area with a rather good sized guitar center so I stopped in and tried a few more guitars.
As far as the Taylor I may have changed my choice to a 314. One of the guys at the store asked me a pretty smart question. If I don't care abt the electronics or cutaway why am I looking at a 414ce? Why not save a few bucks and get a 314 or 324? He made allot of sense so I tried those and I have to say I liked both of them.
They had a d-18 and it sounded only ok. Not like the couple others I have tried in the past. I think it had allot to do with the strings. They were getting king of gunky. I also played a d-28 and a hd-28. Again they were less then stellar. Old strings maybe.
I then drove across the town to another Martin dealer. There I got to try an swomgt. Wow! I have seen them online but never in person. I was blown away with how good it sounded. Now I'm thinking this might be an option.
What do you guys thing of this sustainable wood om?
Also I am starting to realize that string life (or lack of) is so important in getting a true feeling for what a guitar sounds like. At guitar center all of the "high" priced guitars sounded like crap. But these also all had old dirty dead strings on them. You could tell they have been sitting around for a long time. It's hard to get a true representation of the guitar.
Anyway. What do you all think? Does the om stand in the same league as the d-18?

Last edited by djqsrv; 01-18-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Interesting posts, interesting comments. I am kind of in the same position you are. Not ready to buy yet, but I am looking at higher quality guitars. My Yamaha is done.

You are comparing different body styles with different woods, which tells me you are probably not set on either. The 314 is made of Sapele. That is very close to Mahogany which is what the D18 is made out of. If you try a Taylor 310, then you be close in wood and close in shape. The 510 would be a Mahogany Taylor Dread, which is exactly what the D18 is. The Gibson Hummingbird is also in that class.

I am looking at higher end guitars with rosewood back & sides but may consider other woods like maple if they sound good. Trying not to let price sway my decision too much. The best guitars I have played so far is a Taylor 814 and a Martin HD-28. These were in the $3000 price range. To be honest, they both sounded very similar to me. Which surprised me because one was a Dread and the other a Grand Auditorium body style. I would really have to study them for awhile to pick a winner.

I agree with you on strings. If you are really interested in hearing the guitar I would ask them to change the darn strings, as that makes all the difference in the world.

Try to learn a little about what you are buying. The tone woods and the body shaping. And the numbering system of the makers. There is a lot to it. Others have mentioned it, but think of how you will use it. For instance, Dreads and Jumbos(Grand Orchestras) where made to punch out the volume (which is awesome - but maybe not if the kids are in bed sleeping). Another big problem is product availability. You can only try what they have in stock. Maybe search out the higher end guitar stores in your area for better availability. Guitar Center is very limited on the better stuff where I live.

Good Luck. Have Fun.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I would agree that their is no need to get a guitar with electronics if you don't plan to use them. You can always add a pickup later, if you so desire. Buying without a pickup now is, indeed, a great way to save some bucks on the purchase. The 314 and 324 are great guitars, and I am actually partial to the 324. I used to play a DN3 (just like the 310), and I really like Sapele as a tone wood. I also prefer the Taylor Grand Auditoriums without the cutaway. I have no experience with the sustainable wood Martins, so unfortunately, can't be of any help there.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Only you can decide...

As others have mentioned, only you can decide which guitar is right for you. It also depends on your needs and what you plan on doing with the guitar- playing out? Plugging into a PA or amp? 414ce comes with electronics. You would have to purchase and install electronics into the Martin.

Curious - the D-18 vs. the 414ce are fairly different guitars. The D-18 is mahogany back and sides while the 414ce is Ovangkol. Both have solid Sitka Spruce tops. The 400 series recently (within the last year or two) changed in that it now sports a full gloss body (previously a matte finish). One important point to note, I do not believe the 400 series has yet experienced the "Andy Powers Revoicing". This could happen soon - they are working their way down the lines and I believe the 500 series is getting the revoicing treatment this year. That said, resale value could take a hit if you purchase a pre-change Taylor.

The D-18 is a classic Martin dread that will definitely provide you with that Martin bass. Taylors are generally known to be much brighter and the 414 is no exception.

I own several Martins and several Taylors. Both are fantastic guitar brands. As a matter of personal preference, I find myself always gravitating to that deep, rich Martin sound and my Martins get played far more frequently than the Taylors (although my newly acquired GC7 has been getting a lot of attention lately). Speaking from experience, I suspect, that if you purchased the Martin you might not miss the Taylor. However, if you purchase the Taylor, you may still find yourself thinking about the Martin.

In short, there is no wrong answer here - only what is right to you and your ears.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

Last edited by WHguitarNYC; 01-19-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM

If I could only own one guitar, it would be a D-18 (straight-braced model) or a D-18V. I just don't like the neck on the new D-18. But it really doesn't matter what I like, you have to suit yourself.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqsrv View Post
Well it looks like I am going to keep on beating this dead horse.
I have been traveling for work this past week so it has put off my purchase. I did find myself in an area with a rather good sized guitar center so I stopped in and tried a few more guitars.
As far as the Taylor I may have changed my choice to a 314. One of the guys at the store asked me a pretty smart question. If I don't care abt the electronics or cutaway why am I looking at a 414ce? Why not save a few bucks and get a 314 or 324? He made allot of sense so I tried those and I have to say I liked both of them.
They had a d-18 and it sounded only ok. Not like the couple others I have tried in the past. I think it had allot to do with the strings. They were getting king of gunky. I also played a d-28 and a hd-28. Again they were less then stellar. Old strings maybe.
I then drove across the town to another Martin dealer. There I got to try an swomgt. Wow! I have seen them online but never in person. I was blown away with how good it sounded. Now I'm thinking this might be an option.
What do you guys thing of this sustainable wood om?
Also I am starting to realize that string life (or lack of) is so important in getting a true feeling for what a guitar sounds like. At guitar center all of the "high" priced guitars sounded like crap. But these also all had old dirty dead strings on them. You could tell they have been sitting around for a long time. It's hard to get a true representation of the guitar.
Anyway. What do you all think? Does the om stand in the same league as the d-18?

if you are interested in a taylor 414 ce I saw one in Indy at IRC music, brand new for approx 1500.00 I talked to Chris who is their luthier ( Tayor authorized). the owner wants to move it out not sure what year but it is new. That price is a pretty good deal.....it was still there yesterday...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion