The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2016, 06:38 PM

Default Taylor 414ce or Martin d-18. Which one first?

Hello

I am about to make a new purchase and would like some advice. I have played a bunch and have it narrowed down to 2. They are a Martin d-18 and a Taylor 414ce. I will eventually own them both but with a kid in college and 2 more right behind the budget only allows for one at the moment. Right now I am predominantly a strummer but recently have been finger picking allot. I am looking for some advice on to witch one I should buy first. My other steel string acoustics are a Yamaha fg730 and a fender cd140. Both starter guitars so this will be my first higher end steel string. I was thnking the Taylor first as most describe it as a good strummer and finger picker but every time I go to pull the trigger the thought of the d-18 stops me. When I think of ordering the d-18 I stop because I already have 2 dreadnoughts.
Hit me with your thoughts

Thanks
Daniel
Old 01-10-2016, 06:40 PM

The D-18 will be much more versatile. I'd go there first.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome to the forum! It's hard to say which one you should get first but I suspect the D-18 will quickly make you forget the starter guitars- so in effect, you'll really only have 1 dreadnought.

Best of luck and I'm confident you'll get some great suggestions here.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-10-2016, 06:45 PM

martin d18 for sure ~
Old 01-10-2016, 06:49 PM

I am super super incredibly partial to Martin's and the D18 is my favorite model, so I'm definitely biased but...

The Martin is the way I'd go. It can do fingerpicking, it strums like a champ, and it's a dread...so it has the power and presence of a deep body.

The PA neck is very easy to play, so unless you need/want the small body of a 414, I'd go with the D18.

To throw a curve, have you played the 000-18? It's the baby brother of the D18, same construction but a 000 body (similar to the -14 Taylor size). It's a thought.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I am super super incredibly partial to Martin's and the D18 is my favorite model, so I'm definitely biased but...

The Martin is the way I'd go. It can do fingerpicking, it strums like a champ, and it's a dread...so it has the power and presence of a deep body.

The PA neck is very easy to play, so unless you need/want the small body of a 414, I'd go with the D18.

To throw a curve, have you played the 000-18? It's the baby brother of the D18, same construction but a 000 body (similar to the -14 Taylor size). It's a thought.
Sometimes a like "button" would come in handy.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:53 PM

I've been playing for a long while... But just in that past year got into acoustic guitars.

When I went to get my first "real" acoustic (last Jan) I bought a new 414ce ... It is truly is a wonderful guitar. But I never really bonded with it.. It was a bit stiff in feel and sound.

So I sold it and was seriously looking at the D18 when I played the new Martin 000-18. If you want something slightly different than a Dread ... But has a real nice balanced sound .. Check it out. It is super toneful, easy to play and equally works with a pick, strumming and finger style.

The 000-18 is smaller size than the D18 .. But has some similar characteristics and is short scale..Works well for me!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:55 PM

ah yes 000-18 great guitar also.. you can't go wrong with martin 18 series.. \m/
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM

To answer the question...
414ce or D-18?

D-18 !
Old 01-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the D18!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM

I have not played the 000-18 but I have played the 000-28 and the Eric Clapton. Both great guitars but I'm not looking short scale right now. I also tried the om-21 and really liked that but the D-18 beat it out for me. So I did play allot of guitars. Breedloves, laravees, seagulls, martins, yamahas and Taylor's. It really came down to these 2. I do love them both.
These opinions are very helpful.
It's very interesting that it's a landslide for the Martin.
Anyone think the Taylor?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Since you do have two dreads already, I would go with the 414ce or the 000-18, which are both fantastic. As great as the D-18 is (and I love the post 2012 D-18's), there is something to be said for variety, and the 414ce is truly a "swiss army knife" type guitar. It can do everything very well. The 000-18 is also a great choice, and if I'm not mistaken, a practically brand new one just came up for sale on the forum today. Not sure if it's sold or not yet, but I think it was for a great price. Ultimately, your in a win-win situation with whichever guitar you choose. Have fun!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
Sometimes a like "button" would come in handy.
I like that.

I would go with the D-18.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:50 PM

Hi Daniel.

Welcome to the forum.

Based upon my experience - i have a cd140 - and in line with what MaurysMusic said, once you get a better guitar your two starter guitars will probably not get a look in.

Having got that out of the way.

There is a lot of love for the D18 on this forum.
You are not going to go far wrong with one of these.

Steve
Old 01-10-2016, 08:10 PM

If the price is very close, it should all come down to tone and playability and playing style.

I would suspect that you like the tone of both, or they wouldn't be your final two.

I would also guess you found them equally easy to play, since, again these are your top two.

So, it all comes down to what you intend to play on them. The Martin, being a dred will have more pronounced bass. That can be enticing. For me, Martin's don't lend them selves to all styles. The dreds specifically have a range that does not suit more quiet playing styles. You need to drive them harder to get them working, in MY view. The Taylors I have played have been on the whole easier to play than the Martins and have good tone no matter how I play them. They are NOT as bass heavy as a Martin dred. But, unless you need that low end, I think the Taylor is more versatile for MY type of playing and sound goals.

Since you are the one playing them, the goals you set and the sound you like will be the key. If you plan on getting both a Martin and a Taylor, I would pick the guitar that sounds the least like what you already have. That way, it stands out. It gives you a reminder of why you bought it. Don't duplicate the tools in your arsenal.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion