The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Default Disappointed in Gold Gravity Pick

Just came in today. Been doing and A/B test for the last few hours between the Gravity Gold classic 1.0 and my trusty Gravity classic 1.1mm and I honestly can't tell the difference.

I'm really surprised since the Gold is made from different material. If anyone wants one I'll sell it to them for half price. Just PM me. Maybe your ears can tell the difference.

The good news is I still love my Gravity 1.1mm. Oh well, at least my curiosity has been cured.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I guess it's subjective. I think the gold sounds much nicer than the classic. I love the gold. Ireally hear a big difference on the attack on the strings.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 PM

Cool

Didn't hear any difference with the gold either. I'm with you. Other, much cheaper brands I have are every bit as good. My opinion.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latigo View Post
Didn't hear any difference with the gold either. I'm with you. Other, much cheaper brands I have are every bit as good. My opinion.
I personally don't think the cheaper brand sound as good at all. I'm just saying there is no difference (for me) between the regular Gravity pick and the Gold. I'll never go back to the cheaper picks.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I guess it's subjective. I think the gold sounds much nicer than the classic. I love the gold. Ireally hear a big difference on the attack on the strings.
I have one for sale half price if you are interested.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have one for sale half price if you are interested.
PM sent I will buy it if picks still for sale.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 PM

Hi Paul. Your opinion has gone and made me doubt the difference !

I have a Gravity standard acrylic 1.5mm which I have been using for about a year.
I very recently got a Gravity Gold in the same 1.5mm thickness. I thought it was better out the box, partly because it is already bevelled.
(I did some edge sanding on the old one myself).

I had previously only used very flexible picks, but all the big boys here recommend something thicker and more rigid, so I tried and am now a convert !

It was my first "better" pick ($5 ) and I think it has made me a better flatpicker/strummer . (Still also struggling with some fingerpickin'...)

Anyhoooo.... I have now been sitting here switching between the standard and the new gold and trying to really see if I can hear or feel any differences.

Jury now in, says gold one has a slightly more mellow tone and just feels a little better to me, glides "thru'" strings better IMO, less "clicky".
Too late at night here to really attack the neighbours now, will check for headroom tomo ...

I might still bite the bullet and go BlueChip someday !
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I might still bite the bullet and go BlueChip someday !
I had a Blue Chip but returned it. Stick with your Gravity.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I had a Blue Chip but returned it. Stick with your Gravity.
I also bought a Blue Chip and while I think it's good my hair wasn't blown back either. I am still playing mostly with a $1 Dunlop nylon max grip most of the time.

I will say though that I was happy to spend $35 to check it out given all the endorsements it has from a great many folks that play guitar pretty well! For me I'm happy to spend somewhere between $1 - $35 to try something that might quite noticeably change my guitar sound and playing experience... Especially when a great many people are willing to spend $1000's on a new guitar for improvements that are sometimes comparable to upgrading your pick. ...Besides you can return a Blue Chip if you don't dig it (and if your postage costs to the US aren't comparable to the pick itself....)

Last edited by CycleBob; 02-10-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Too late at night here to really attack the neighbours now, will check for headroom tomo ...
UPDATE: Just been havin' m'self a really good loud thrash alternating between the standard and the gold.

The standard line is a nice pick but the gold IS all round a little bit better.

Probably not 4 times as good, but we all know you have to pay disproportionate prices for teeny increments in tone, feel, bling, pizza, whatever.

Over and out. I think my public (the neighbours) are waiting eagerly for the encore !
Old 02-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Got a Gold for Christmas and wasn't very impressed either. Not bad but a little too "glassy" for me. I like Blue Chip, Wegen, and Red Bear much better. Red Bear heavy gauge is my personal favorite and Wegen Bluegrass my go to due to price. Even though it hasn't happened yet Red Bears are supposed to wear out and break.

As for Gravity, I really like using their acrylic picks, especially when I dust off the electrics every blue moon or so. Big Metecarb. fan too.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Give it some time.

When I first got my Blue Chip my initial reaction was to return it; now it's my favorite pick for most applications on acoustic.

I think there's an expectation than when you spend real money on a pick that it's going to be a magical improvement versus a $1 Dunlop. In my experience, it's more an issue of tonal nuance. I like my BC a little bit more than my other picks, and I think I'll be able to keep track of it, so I don't mind having $35 tied up in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion