The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqsrv View Post
Well the saga continues. I got the 000 and knew I made a mistake within the first few strums. The guitar though beautiful was waaaay trebly. The high e string perticularly. It had almost a shrill sound that in no way matched the voice of the other strings. So back in the case it want and shipped back to the store. I'm waiting on my return credit now so I can order the D-18.
The wait is killing me.
Darn. That sucks.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well the saga continues. I got the 000 and knew I made a mistake within the first few strums. The guitar though beautiful was waaaay trebly. The high e string perticularly. It had almost a shrill sound that in no way matched the voice of the other strings. So back in the case it want and shipped back to the store. I'm waiting on my return credit now so I can order the D-18.
The wait is killing me.
Actually not surprised. Why? I was enamored by all the praise for the 000-18 ...but then played one recently at a local shop and it was very nice, yet small sounding and had too much of a 'niche' voice for my personal taste. I would also choose the D18. And honestly, you can't go wrong with a D18~! Although ....I have also found that the new OM28's offer the balanced voicing of an OM body, but with a lot of the punch and projection of a Dread. But in a more balanced frequency response. That said, I love Mahogany and don't think you can go wrong with a D18!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-09-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:

The wait is killing me.

I did second treenewt's recommendation of a D-18. Great guitar!

I hope it is everything you're looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 PM

My D-18 is on its way and I have to say that this shopping experience has been nothing but perfect! I decided to purchase from Maury's Music as they have some great reviews here on the forum. If I am not mistaken they are also a forum sponsor.
Great prices and great customer service usually don't go hand in hand. You give one up for the other. That is not the case with Maury's. I don't even have the final guitar in my hands yet but I know from the experience so far that Maury won't let me be anything but 100% satisfied.
They emailed me this link when my guitar shipped today.
http://youtu.be/4q-jIPNmfRY
How cool is that?
If you are looking for a Martin these are the guys.

Looking forward to posting a review.
Fender CD -140sce
Yamaha FGX730sca
Fender 57 Stratocaster (Time Machine)
Fender 62 Stratocaster RI
Warmoth/Musicraft Partscaster
Gibson LesPaul Studio
Fender P-bass
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

That was WAY-Cool!! Congrats on the new D-18, and way to go Maury's!! Looking forward to the NGD thread when it arrives.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I've been playing for a long while... But just in that past year got into acoustic guitars.

When I went to get my first "real" acoustic (last Jan) I bought a new 414ce ... It is truly is a wonderful guitar. But I never really bonded with it.. It was a bit stiff in feel and sound.

So I sold it and was seriously looking at the D18 when I played the new Martin 000-18. If you want something slightly different than a Dread ... But has a real nice balanced sound .. Check it out. It is super toneful, easy to play and equally works with a pick, strumming and finger style.

The 000-18 is smaller size than the D18 .. But has some similar characteristics and is short scale..Works well for me!
I've thought about selling a couple of rather nice guitars to fund either a D18 or 000-18. The better deals of course being online. Therefore having to buy without playing. My only question is there a certain era/year I should avoid. Being a Martin I would think not but none the less, asking. I already have a 1993 d28, wonderful guitar and a D-15 which is one I would be selling.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
I've thought about selling a couple of rather nice guitars to fund either a D18 or 000-18. The better deals of course being online. Therefore having to buy without playing..
That is the downside to online shopping but when they make it as easy as they made it to return for a different guitar the only thing you loose is a little time. And that I don't mind one bit if it means I get the guitar that I really want.

The 000 was an absolute beautiful guitar. It's just for me the voice was not right. If I was mostly a fingerpicker I would have kept it. For my more strummy style of play a more pronounced bottom end fits better. I think the D-18 will give me that.
Fender CD -140sce
Yamaha FGX730sca
Gibson LesPaul Studio
Fender P-bass
Old 02-11-2016, 03:07 AM

Quote:
When I think of ordering the d-18 I stop because I already have 2 dreadnoughts.
Daniel, for me this is no dilema at all. One really great guitar is inspiring... lots of less than great guitars are more distraction than benefit to growth as a guitar player.

I would get the D-18 and sell (or give away) the Yamaha and the Fender... and then keep it. You are so young it will be a classic and a dear friend in your senior days... they come faster than you can imagine.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
My D-18 is on its way and I have to say that this shopping experience has been nothing but perfect! I decided to purchase from Maury's Music as they have some great reviews here on the forum. If I am not mistaken they are also a forum sponsor.
Great prices and great customer service usually don't go hand in hand. You give one up for the other. That is not the case with Maury's. I don't even have the final guitar in my hands yet but I know from the experience so far that Maury won't let me be anything but 100% satisfied.
They emailed me this link when my guitar shipped today.

How cool is that?
If you are looking for a Martin these are the guys.

Looking forward to posting a review.
Thank you so much for the kind words, Daniel... we really appreciate your business! We hope you love your new D-18. Oh, and I've put the YouTube code around your link in my quote.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Just a quick update.
The guitar arrived yesterday and I opened it this morning after letting it aclimate.
WOW!!!!! There are not words enough to describe how happy I am with this guitar. This IS the sound I had in my head when I started looking for a new guitar. I had a hard time putting it down just now but I knew I wanted to post a quick message.

Thanks to all for the advice and a big thanks to Maury's Music! They were great to deal with. They have a customer for life.

Daniel
Fender CD -140sce
Yamaha FGX730sca
Gibson LesPaul Studio
Fender P-bass
Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Sounds like a great dealer! The video is a nice touch.

Glad you love it!

I think Martin's updated D-18 and 000-18 are really special. But I get why the 000-18 wasn't for you. They're two great flavors, but most people will have a preference.

Play the bejesus out of it - it's only going to get better! Enjoy!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Just a quick update.
The guitar arrived yesterday and I opened it this morning after letting it aclimate.
WOW!!!!! There are not words enough to describe how happy I am with this guitar. This IS the sound I had in my head when I started looking for a new guitar. I had a hard time putting it down just now but I knew I wanted to post a quick message.

Thanks to all for the advice and a big thanks to Maury's Music! They were great to deal with. They have a customer for life.

Daniel
We're SO glad to hear this. Thank you so much for your business!!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Just a quick update.

Daniel
Glad it worked out you have one fine guitar enjoy.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

What a great customer experience. Everybody wins. Nice job by Maury's. They are clearly committed to customer satisfaction. And I believe you got the right instrument for your needs in the process! Hard to beat a GREAT D18. They are great guitars.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-14-2019, 08:55 PM

I know this thread is very old, but I just found it so maybe other people are just now finding it as well? Anyway, on a related note I own a 2016 D-28 Centennial and a 2015 D-18, and yesterday I visited a local music store and spent a good amount of time playing a new 414ce standard (with sitka top and ovangkol back/sides) and I really like that guitar. I found one used in mint condition for a decent deal and ended up purchasing it.

For some background, I do a lot of finger picking type stuff as well as some alternate tunings and also play out at open mics every week, so having a guitar with good on-board electronics is important. I also do some ambient stuff with delay and reverb and the Taylor seems to lend itself better to that. I have a LR Baggs Anthem SL installed in my D-18 and it just doesn't sound all that great to me, while the 414ce with ES2 pickup system sounded great to my ears. But for sure, the 414ce is a very different animal than the D-18. They both occupy different spaces here. The 414ce has a more 'modern' tone while the Martins are more 'organic'. With that said, I may end up selling the D-28 to pay for the 414ce but I'm going to see how I feel once I get the 414ce and can A-B-C them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion