The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2003, 01:45 AM

Default is this honey or tobacco sunburst?

from the taylor gallery:

http://www.taylor-gallery.com/600/614ce3a.jpg

does anyone know if is this honey sunburst or tobacco sunburst? It is listed as tobacco.. but just wanted to make sure. If that's the case, is the tobacco sunburst that variant in intensity? or is it that the honey is often mistaken for tobacco... also, for all you experts out there... does a sunburst affect the sound of the guitar/the top wood at all in any way?

thanks in advance for your insight!

-bunnygirl gonna be crazy
614CE (regret selling this one big-time)
Old 01-26-2003, 07:31 AM

Hmm? Very hard to tell, but it looks more like honey. If you look at the pics on the Taylot website, the honey and tobacco look almost identical.

As for the effect on the sound, I'm sure there is somebody out there who will say that the sunburst finish affects the sound, just like those who believe a gloss finish affects the sound. I doubt that anyone could possibly hear the difference.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:02 AM

Is that cherry sunburst?
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 01-26-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Re: is this honey or tobacco sunburst?

Quote:
Originally posted by bunnygirl
from the taylor gallery:
http://www.taylor-gallery.com/600/614ce3a.jpg
does anyone know if is this honey sunburst or tobacco sunburst? It is listed as tobacco.. but just wanted to make sure. If that's the case, is the tobacco sunburst that variant in intensity? or is it that the honey is often mistaken for tobacco... also, for all you experts out there... does a sunburst affect the sound of the guitar/the top wood at all in any way?
That's not Tobacco Burst, I can tell you that much.

As for whether or not it has an effect on the sound, well, theoretically, it would. Anytime you change something in the construction of a guitar, you're going to affect the sound of it. Now, would this difference in sound be perceptible? No, I don't it would be. It might be possible to hook up some fancy scientific measuring devices to see the difference, but it's not anything you're going to hear...

Steve
Old 01-26-2003, 09:22 AM

that is a honey burst. as far as finish. alot of very high ends are starting to use a french rub finish again BUT. When you ding the guitar you have REALLY dinged the guitar!!! the thinner the top the more sound. Bill
A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his head is a tradesman. But, man who works with his hands his head and his heart is a professional..... Taylor is a great name for baby boys & girls!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

One of our members earlyer had a 614ce for sale and it looked like this ,He swor that it was Tabaco burst he said the early jobs came out like this . And the flash made it light in color but in natural light was very dark
untill about 2001 when they went very Black . Very Cherry , and Honey
This one looks Kind of Honey to me but almost Cherry.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:15 AM

That looks precisely like my mapleicious honey burst 614CE. It isn't, but it could be its twin. Honey is sweet, and tobacco is, well, darker, one could say, burnt.

Last edited by mtnbrz; 01-26-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:46 PM

Hi,

Tobacco burst is "much" darker...almost black until you get it in the sun light then your can actually see that is is a very dark brown.

My 2001 910B is tobacco.

Also, the finish does not affect the sound the way Taylor and other high end makers apply it in today's modern applications. Years ago it could have been a issue before technology improved the process. It's not like slathering on house paint. He! he!

Have a great day,
-grm
Old 01-26-2003, 08:14 PM

That's a honey, bunny. And no, the finish color does not effect the sound anymore than red, black, blue, or green effect the 6xx series.
Guild A-150 Savoy, T-50 Slim
Reverend PA-1
Fender Std. Tele
2 Tele partcasters
Taylor 810-LTD, 314-MCE, 717-BE
Martin HD-35, D-18, 00-28, CEO-7, OM-28, 000-18, 00015-sm, M-36
Carr Rambler
Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Takamine 12-string
1966 Strat
1966 Ampeg Gemini I
1964 Kay archtop
Old 01-26-2003, 09:42 PM

Hey guys. I can answer your question for sure. It used to be my guitar.

It's a tobacco sunburst. Period. (I called Taylor right after I bought it. I thought it was a cherry as well.) It's one of the first guitars that they made with the tobacco sunburst, and it came out a bit cherry looking. Basically, it's lighter than a normal tobacco sunburst, but darker than the cherry sunburst. It was quite a beautiful color. Dark enough to be elegant, yet light enough to show all the figuring. Now, the sunbursts are a lot more defined. The tobacco-burst is really dark, the cherry-burst very red, and the honey-burst very orange.

No Taylors yet...
Martin 000C-16GTE Premium
Old 01-26-2003, 09:55 PM

awesome, thanks ky224. well.. that sunburst is gorgeous... i wish i could get a honey that resembled that... kind of like the honey and tobacco combined.. and thanks for reassurances about the sound...

does anyone have pics of a recent taylor honey sunburst? the one on the official site is not that that big.. thanks all!
-bgirl
Old 01-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Uncle Bob

It's a honey, bunny

BT
Old 01-26-2003, 11:42 PM

thanks uncle bob!
Old 01-27-2003, 03:20 AM

Hahah. I don't know how to react. Either Bob just liked the "It's a honey, bunny" line...or something got weird.

Anyhoo...I'll take Bob's word for it. Besides...in the end, it doesn't matter because it doesn't look like any of the standard finishes I've seen. Either way...it's somewhat of an oddity.

No Taylors yet...
Martin 000C-16GTE Premium
Old 01-27-2003, 05:05 PM

Default need opinions!

ok here's my dilemma:

about to do a 2003 710ce englemann/w sunburst order. but there is no picture i've been able to find of a 700/800 with a HONEY burst top. Apparently, Taylor doesn't get orders for honey sunburst engleman/IE Rosewood...

~does anyone own a Honey Sunburst Taylor with IE Back/Sides? Does it clash?

~anyone SEEN a honey on rosewood? (Uncle Bob?)

~Don't you think this is beginning to sound like a sandwich?

(yumm i'll take an englemann over easy, with honey on top and rosewood on the back and sides...)

thanks all...-bgirl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion