The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-20-2015, 10:52 PM

Default Has anyone used Mel Bay Method to learn classical guitar??

Mel Bay Guitar Method (Grade 1 -7) is primarily designed for picking style. But wondering if anyone here uses it as a classical guitar method?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
Mel Bay Guitar Method (Grade 1 -7) is primarily designed for picking style. But wondering if anyone here uses it as a classical guitar method?
It's not suitable as a classical guitar method. I used the first couple of grades as a general guitar introduction for young students just to get them oriented to the guitar. Then, if they wanted to head toward classical, I would shift them toward Shearer or one of the others. If they wanted classical, I would start out with a classical method. Haven't taught for many years, but I don't see much new, which is surprising.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
It's not suitable as a classical guitar method. I used the first couple of grades as a general guitar introduction for young students just to get them oriented to the guitar. Then, if they wanted to head toward classical, I would shift them toward Shearer or one of the others. If they wanted classical, I would start out with a classical method. Haven't taught for many years, but I don't see much new, which is surprising.
Don't you use the new expanded version which being added quite a lot content.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Don't you use the new expanded version which being added quite a lot content.
It's still oriented to the flat-pick and has the student hold the guitar on the right knee.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I my opinion, these are poorly-constructed books in general, and not suitable for classical guitar specifically.

I would instead steer someone towards Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar as a central resource, perhaps supplementing it with Parkening's and/or Romero (Celedonio) method books. Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon" is also excellent once the student has gained some traction.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I would not recommend using the book as a method book. I have found a few pieces in the book that work pretty well on a classical guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical