The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Default Yamaha NCX ?

Hi I am in the market for a new classical guitar my only classical is a cheep Antonio Hermosa AH-10 CE. It plays and sounds ok I leveled and dressed the frets so that helped. None of the stores have the NCX line in stock I had a chance to play NTX700 and it played vg but neck is small but the sound was not there playing acoustically. I have read good things about the NCX line and would like to know if anyone has any playing time on one. Thanks for any help. Barry
Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Anyone seen one?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 PM

Default Ncx

I own the NCX 1200R and have played the entire
Line of NCX.The 1200 has a neck a bit more similar
to a classical guitar but it is still smaller.They are crossover
guitars though and really shine when plugged in.They are
Over built so as not to feedback.Great guitars but not strickly speaking
classical guitars.Hope that helps
Old 07-15-2015, 08:56 PM

Thanks RastaRobbie I have played the NTX700 and was very impressed with the build but the neck was cramped and the sound unplugged was OK. I can't find any NCX in stock in Atlanta.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C. View Post
Thanks RastaRobbie I have played the NTX700 and was very impressed with the build but the neck was cramped and the sound unplugged was OK. I can't find any NCX in stock in Atlanta.
I was curious out here in L.A. as well, Barry, and can't find a dealer for NCX either. Cordoba seems to own this spot in the market.

I have a friend who bought a new 1200R sight unseen, and had to buy it online since he couldn't demo it anywhere. He loves it, but I hate to spend that kind of money on something without a test run.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 PM

I wish I could try the NCX700 , 900 and 1200 to see if there is a big difference in sound. I know the solid Rosewood should sound better but is it 500.00 better? Only if you play it will you know for sure. I know if I get the NCX700 I will always wish I went with the NCX1200. Sometimes you get what you pay fore. Barry
Old 07-16-2015, 07:00 PM

I was on the fence between the Yamaha and a Cordoba. Since I dont play plugged in very often, I bought the Cordoba Fusion 12. Yes, the Yamaha was a bit thin, ( in depth and in sound) unplugged but did sound awesome plugged in. The Cordoba does have a built in p/u and both have a similar neck width 1 7/8" for both I believe and are real nice crossover models. Tough choice btw the two.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Smile

New guitar Yamaha NTX700 I was at my music store and played NTX and thought this guitar has a great neck and sounds good not great but good. The owner made me a offer I could not refuse. When I got home I played it about two hr. to see where I could make it better. This is what I did the neck has a small radius but the saddle was flat, put radius on saddle, leveled and crowned and polish the frets (they were good as is but had the strings off). Set string slots in nut for better playing, oil fret board and new strings D'Addario EJ46. This made a big improvement plays great and sounds better. Someday I want to make a bone saddle and nut. Thanks for all the help and thanks Yamaha for a nice guitar. Barry

Last edited by Barry C.; 07-25-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add a few words
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 PM

I have a bone nut and saddle on one of my nylon string guitars..sounds amazing.
Good luck with your new guitar and have fun.
RR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical