The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Default Taylor finish repair

Hi All

I hope the festive season is being enjoyed by AGF folks appropriately (or otherwise ;-)

I have a friends Taylor 214 in for a finish repair and set up. The finish has failed on and around the headstock, presumably due to high humidity. It has peeled off pretty cleanly. I am going to scrape back to solid finish and refinish with a solvent based lacquer.

My question is whether I ought to completely remove the original UV cured poly finish or just remove what is necessary to blend it in. The finish has only de-laminated where there are pressure points eg nut and tuners.

Additionally, I am considering changing the nut and saddle to bone if it would make a significant difference in this case. I have always found Taylors on the too-bright side, but I am probably in the minority...

Cheers

Last edited by capohk; 12-23-2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: to correct ambiguity...
Old 12-23-2015, 07:25 PM

I am a little bit lost, you say you have a taylor in for repair and your considering changing the nut as well,

First is it your guitar or a customers, if its your guitar then its not in for repair, you are going to do a repair on it yourself, if its a customers guitar, then should not any decision be the customers

As far as the repair, you need to remove any obvious disbonds of paint, even then any finish applied will likely leave witness marks between the two different mediums, the only really good way is to remove it all nice and clean and redo the finish.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 PM

Thanks Steve. It's a friends guitar and we are discussing options.

The witness line thing is what I was worried about. Ideally, I would have some scrap material finished in the same stuff to test on, but I don't.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:32 PM

Okay, so doing it as a favour.

Once you have removed all tuners, get some hi tack tape, apply and peel, you should be able to remove a lot of the finish this way,

Then flat sand back to wood, any other method will leave witness lines, uv finish is light cured,so putting a coating like nitro on top will not burn in.

A lot of repairers can get a good finish mix and matching but we have all been doing it hundreds if not thousands of times, so play it safe.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair