The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Comparing Higher End Guitars

Might as well start a thread and compare some of the higher end guitars out there. Let me suggest a general observation that I've made, to see if it rings true with others on the forum. It's been my experience that individual luthiers tend to have a voicing that is characteristic of their instruments, and making them out of different and more exotic wood combinations, and even changing body shape and size, more or less fine tunes that voice as opposed to giving it a whole new one.

I find Martins to be warm sounding, but sometimes a little heavy and stiff to play, with a minimum of overtones. Lowdens I've played have a darker sound, which is full and rich, with lots of overtones and sustain. Goodalls tend to be very bright and clear, with even more overtones and sustain.
2006 Seagull S6+CW Folk
2006 Goodall AKSC
2010 Charis SJC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion