The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

JP, I agree. My E40OM has a voice all its own, and it outperforms my E20OM-SB. However, to be fair, my “20” is opening up much more slowly, and both are still less than 1yo, which is quite young for Adi tops.

Both my E40D and E40OM have amazing voices. Plenty of clarity and responsiveness, lots of complexity in the overtones. My E40OM is perhaps the most balanced guitar I’ve ever owned, while the E40D is everything I could ask for in a dread.

I just got an E20D two months ago, and it’s sounding great out of the gate. It’s a cannon (slightly louder than the “40”), but doesn’t have the same complex overtones (yet), and the low end isn’t quite as clear (again, yet).

In both cases, it’s a noticeable difference — perhaps like comparing a Martin D42/45 to a D28 (note: I’m not comparing Martin to Eastman; just the different series from the two companies).
Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Though bling isn't my thing, I am really looking forward to playing an E40 series guitar. They are beautiful and the wood selections look to be top grade.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 PM

I'm looking forward to recording mine when I get the chance. It's definitely a different feel than my Taylor 514ce - but I chalk that up to a 'traditional' design vs the Taylor design.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 AM

You are giving me a case of GAS for that guitar
Old 03-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Eastmans are such wonderful guitars and those E40s are so pretty.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:28 AM

Has anyone installed a pickup or dual-source system on their Eastman OM? I'm looking for something good.....but minimally invasive. I'm reading about the K&K, LR Baggs Anthem or Fishman Ellipse - any others....or any recommendations?
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-11-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post
Has anyone installed a pickup or dual-source system on their Eastman OM? I'm looking for something good.....but minimally invasive. I'm reading about the K&K, LR Baggs Anthem or Fishman Ellipse - any others....or any recommendations?
I’ve got a K&K in my E20OM. I run it straight into an SR Technologies/Schertler Jam. I love the tone, and in the “High” input it’s plenty hot. The K&K is very bassy though so you may need to dial the lows down a bit, depending on the venue. Personally, I love it. As a bassist, I dig the low end girth, and it also helps balance the Adi brightness. I’d have preferred an E8OM, I think (or one with Engelmann!), but got the right price on the 20, so I went for it.

Ive got a few iPhone clips playing around with a Ditto X2 through the Jam. The strings are really old D’Addario NB’s, but it might give you some idea of tone. I’ll try to remember to throw those up on YouTube and link them here.

The only caveat with the K&K... I’ve found that when looping with the X2 and recording a beat on the guitar to start, unless I have the top really dampened, the feedback on the X2 gets out o’ control in a hurry with each iterative loop. I assume it’s because the K&K is UB rather than US and picks up more of the soundboard vibrations. You’ll hear it in a few of the clips. But, that’s obviously not your standard usage. For “normal” playing it’s wonderful, and doesn’t suffer from the piezo quack.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post
Taylor, those are all great choices; however, before you pull the trigger, suggest you look at Trance Audio. This is the rig favored by many of the real tone-chasers in live performance amplification -- Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Bonnie Raitt, CSN, and many many more.

Here is a thread I started when I had mine put in my Eastman slope dread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=466710

I have no vested interest, but these are really fabulous on a great guitar.

You might want to post a new thread in the amplification section and you'll get a lot of great info over there.

Hope this helps.....

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion