The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-12-2005, 12:49 AM

Default What to look for in an ES-335 type semi-acoustic?

I never thought I'd be posting about an electric guitar on this forum, but here goes...

While basically an acoustic player, I've been spending a little time messing around on a Tele copy for the past couple of years and really enjoying it, even if my technique is largely nonexistent. (It's not fantastic on an acoustic either. ) Lately, thanks to the recurrent GAS with which many of us are familiar, I've been thinking of getting an inexpensive ES-335-type copy. I've got a very good idea of what guitars are out there in my price range, so this thread is not about that. What I'm curious to know is what forum members think characterizes good tone/performance from a semi. Unlike on the acoustic side of the fence, I don't have a strong view as to how an electric guitar should sound (even now, I have no idea if my Tele copy is a "good" or typical Tele or not - I just get a kick of out playing it). Of course, tone is a personal thing, and half of it is down to your amp anyway, but I'd still like to canvas opinions. For example:

* People say a semi-acoustic should be tested unplugged to start with - if it sounds good, that indicates it's going to be good plugged in. Is that really a factor? (Personally I would test even a solid-body unplugged, anyway, so I'll do the same with the semis.)
* Are semis supposed to sound more "woody" than a solid-body, and if so, what does that mean in practice - more midrangey, thicker?
* Is sustain a big deal? I read a lot about the importance of sustain with electrics, but sometimes I think sustain is overrated - even in the acoustic world, for some purposes you want string separation and clarity over sustain.

If there are other questions that I should be asking while choosing a semi, then feel free to ask them for me - and then answer them too.

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 AM

If you're looking for an ES-335, then you should buy the real thing. You'll be much happier in the end. I owned some good copies including a Heritage H535, and they didn't sound as good as the '71, ES-335TD that I own now.

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter
If you're looking for an ES-335, then you should buy the real thing. You'll be much happier in the end. I owned some good copies including a Heritage H535, and they didn't sound as good as the '71, ES-335TD that I own now.

Sprinter
I disagree. Sprinter may be right if this was the focus of your playing, but as a fun around-the-house kind of guitar, you can do fine with something much less expensive than a 335, especially a '71 335. I have a Hamer Echotone, an amazing guitar for the money, and there are other good choices out there.
710-L9
Old 06-12-2005, 10:35 AM

I don't know much about semi hollow bodies but I have selected several hollowbody electric guitars over the years. I much prefer to select them based on their amplified tone as opposed to their acoustic qualities. I guess some folks can listen to the unamplified tone of an electric guitar and understand how it will translate to an amplified sound. I for one cannot. I prefer to play the guitar through the amp I will be using and at volume levels I will be playing at, to determine if the guitar has the tone, feedback resistance, etc. that I am searching for.

By the way, there are several neat semi hollow body guitars on the market now as well as some great used ones. I for one will be interested to hear about the guitar you select.

I once owned a mid eighties Ibanez AM-70 which was a part of their Artstar line. The AM series was decent quality and had a smalller lower bout than the es-335 which was great for a person small in stature such as myself. I wish I still had that guitar - I bought it used in 1986 for $225 and sold it for $275 a year later. Now I see them on e-Bay for over $500.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 PM

In my opinion, a good semi hollow should be able to do a variety of styles, and here's the key word= Convincingly.
My D'Angelico fits the bill quite nicely!
'69 Les Paul Deluxe
Old 06-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Eric Skye

I just bought a 335 this week, my first electric guitar in years. I played a 335 for a long time in the past... my favorite electric guitars. Testing it unplugged makes a little sense, but I personally don’t think it’s that big a deal. I think if you could compare several at the same time maybe you could determine something significant, but by it’s self... I don’t know, sounds like an unplugged electric. As for the “woody” question, I think what you said is true, a 335 has a more pronounced midrange than a solid body. Though a 335, in my opinion, is much closer to a Les Paul in terms of it’s woodyness and sustain, than a true hollowbody like a 175 or L5. It really is a solid body from the end pin to the tuning machines, like a solid 2x4 up the middle, but hollow on the sides. I would of course agree that if you really wanted a 335, getting Gibson would be the ideal ( check your local paper, I got a steal on the one I just got) but on the other hand I’ve played a few Heritage, Hamer, and Ibanez 335 style guitars that were really great. Personally I haven’t been very wowed by the Epiphones, but I’ve heard that they’ve gotten a lot better in resent years.

Last edited by min7b5; 06-12-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:49 PM

In looking for a semi, I played a bunch of different ones and finally settled on an Epiphone Sheratom II. For the $$$, it is really quite a good buy. It has decent (not great) electronics, a very comfortable neck, looks great - nice blonde wood. The inlays are a bit much, but overall, a very nice guitar for a very nice price. Hey, the Edge is playing one in that U2 video where they're on a flatbed truck!

MC
Old 06-12-2005, 06:13 PM
More guitars than talent

Buy used and save some $. I owned an Epiphone Dot and was very impressed with the quality. Only sold it because the body size of a semi-hollow just isn't for me.

Also on the Fender Forum, the Agile brand gets great reviews. They are available from www.rondomusic.net The Agile AS 820 is the 335 copy.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 06-12-2005, 08:05 PM

Buy my 1993 ES-335 TD AN. It's gorgeous!

Old 06-13-2005, 03:58 PM

That is indeed very pretty Joe. Pity I'm on the wrong continent!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I thought it was interesting to pose this question because, let's face it, on this forum people often have very opinionated views as to, say, how a dreadnought should sound - it should have *this* much bass, it should (or shouldn't) be boomy or honky, etc. Yet try to get definitions of how an electric should sound, and people seem much less forthcoming. I posed the same question on another forum and got several responses mentioning every budget semi you've ever heard of, but nobody wanted to say what they regarded as a decent semi-acoustic sound.

I agree the Epiphone Sheraton seems really nice, and if I was really serious about electrics I might well go for it, but I have my eye on something cheaper... If I pull the trigger I'll let you guys know what I end up buying.

Richard
Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 AM

There were some very nice japanese copies made during the 70's. Here is a pic of my '77 Electra.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldermt
In looking for a semi, I played a bunch of different ones and finally settled on an Epiphone Sheratom II. For the $$$, it is really quite a good buy. It has decent (not great) electronics, a very comfortable neck, looks great - nice blonde wood. The inlays are a bit much, but overall, a very nice guitar for a very nice price. Hey, the Edge is playing one in that U2 video where they're on a flatbed truck!
MC
Couldn't agree more! (Well, it's not blonde heh!)

I let a '73 Model 335 slip through my fingers (curse you Lonnie Mack & you know why! heh!)

My Epi Sheraton sounds amazingly good, plays like buttuh.
Alvarez PD100 NAT
Old 06-14-2005, 07:15 PM

I don't know much about these types of guitars and I don't own one, but I have played an Ibanez Artcore in that body style as well as other body styles. Seems like a great guitar for under $500.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:31 PM

I found the one I have at a yard sale about 15 years ago. I love the freeze cracks, worn neck, tabacco stained binding, and buckle marks it came with. It has great character. Don't play it much anymore but this thread has prompted me to get it out and restring it! It still plays great and always gets a comment when I pull it out.

Last edited by SMan; 06-14-2005 at 07:34 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Thumbs up

I've had old and new Gibsons, Epiphone, Samick, Hamer...
Gibsons are surely at the top of the heap, but the imports are very nice for ALOT less cash.

I believe Samick=Epiphone=Tokai=Hamer etc...

Copies are made in Korea (mostly) and Japan (really good ones, but twice the money)

Depends on just how serious you want to get with your earnings here.
Pretty much, it's hard to go wrong with the product produced today...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification