The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-15-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzTurner View Post
DupleMeter said, "The reality is that every mic has circuitry that alters the natural sound of the capsule." Not every mic. Schoeps CMC Series, Neumann KM100 Series, Neumann KK Series and Sennheiser have bodies that will accept different capsules. I'm most familiar with Schoeps and can confirm that the difference is in the capsule not the amplifier body. Schoeps has offered some amplifier bodies that do introduce equalization (linear, high frequency boost) but their standard amplifier bodies are known to behave the same way with any capsule.

There is still a good amount of circuitry to tune the mic. They build all the interchangable capsules to work withing the limits of the mic's tuning. It's how they can have different capsules with the same polar pattern that have differing frequency responses. They build them knowing how the circuitry in the mic already sounds & can use that to get different characeristics from the capsule.

If you want the gory details of how that's all done, ask Klaus or Dave Bock on GearSpace. I have only a very basic understanding of how it all works. I can't tell you what cap tames a 3k ring or stuff like that. My understanding of the mics themselves comes from decades of using them in studio & getting info from reputable sources, like Klaus, David Bock. or my friends at Sennheiser/Neumann.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-15-2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Yeah, I had a pair too for some years. I could not get them to sound the way I wanted after messing around over and over again. They're not bad mics, in my opinion, but too thin for what I want to hear from finger picked ac. guitars. Even with EQ I could not get them right and that may be because of my limited mixing skills.

Not too long ago I got a Roswell k67. Oh man, I love that mic.
That was my experience too. They just felt brittle (you said thin, but I think we're describing the same thing).

I really like the mini k67x! I just used one on some 12 string tracks we did today at the studio for a client. Kept enough of the sparkle & jangle of the 12 string (a Taylor), but was able to retain body...and it takes EQ nicely. I think that & the mini k47x are the best value in affordable mics around. Hands down. To give you an example. Those guitar tracks we recorded were backing a vocalist on a u47. They held there own & never felt $29,500 cheaper than the u47. ;-) I'm glad you're digging it.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a warm sounding SDC, but I remember Warm Audio coming out with their Neuman KM84 style offering, the WA84, which is probably closest to what you're looking for.

On the other hand, you could try a Beyerdynamic M201, if you haven't yet. The frequency response looks promising, and it's a very well liked and long running product.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

If you are looking for flat and don't want to spend a ton I'd recommend checking out the Line Audio's. They are definitely small. I had a pair for a good bit but ultimately found them to flat for my tone at the time, which was already pretty dark.

But they might be just the thing for you, if you are looking for something to mellow out your recorded tone.

The Line Audio's do have a tad higher self noise than other mics, and a lower output, so you'll need a bit more gain from your preamp. I'll try to dig up some recordings I made with mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD