The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-17-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
https://soundcloud.com/pier-lim/fa-r...-12-23-1018-am

Another test with a chinese pop song to even things out. Made sure to sing a bit further from the mic this time round.

Shure SM7B with presence boost,
followed by RE20
followed by Shure SM7B flat
It may be because the RE-20 has become my "hometown" in my non-sound-isolated home office "Studio B," but I'm still liking the RE-20 the best. But that's my taste, which may not be educated or predictive of others.

I make use of the SM7b on some vocalists when recording at my "Studio A", my larger studio space with other amplified instruments sounding live in the room. There's unavoidable leakage there (electric guitarists like to turn up) but I manage. In that same studio space, when I'm recording solo with acoustic guitar I use a Warm Audio LDC that I know AlohaChris doesn't care for -- but it's paid for and works well enough for me in that room. However, using any LDC I've tried in my home office/"studio B" has not given me the consistent results I'm aiming for. Outside environmental noise leakage is a big part of that.

That quick and consistent thing is something I put a high value on: I want to (and have) produced a lot of recordings where I have to wear many hats (engineer, "producer," composer, musician) and with short windows for recording sessions. I'm likely an example of the reverse of an old maxim, in that with those constraints I'm a "good is the enemy of the perfect " example.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-17-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
It may be because the RE-20 has become my "hometown" in my non-sound-isolated home office "Studio B," but I'm still liking the RE-20 the best. But that's my taste, which may not be educated or predictive of others.

I make use of the SM7b on some vocalists when recording at my "Studio A", my larger studio space with other amplified instruments sounding live in the room. There's unavoidable leakage there (electric guitarists like to turn up) but I manage. In that same studio space, when I'm recording solo with acoustic guitar I use a Warm Audio LDC that I know AlohaChris doesn't care for -- but it's paid for and works well enough for me in that room. However, using any LDC I've tried in my home office/"studio B" has not given me the consistent results I'm aiming for. Outside environmental noise leakage is a big part of that.

That quick and consistent thing is something I put a high value on: I want to (and have) produced a lot of recordings where I have to wear many hats (engineer, "producer," composer, musician) and with short windows for recording sessions. I'm likely an example of the reverse of an old maxim, in that with those constraints I'm a "good is the enemy of the perfect " example.

Yeah Frank, I bet I could get these two mics to sound similar with eqing, re20 perhaps adding a bit of body and sm7b add a bit of top end.

Agree with the good is the enemy of perfect maxim, I’m quite wary of going into a rabbit hole of chasing gear in the same fashion I did with guitar pedals. These 2 just happened to be in the classifieds at a good price.

I think what would actually give me more delta above a new mic are vocal lessons [emoji13]

Probably keeping these 2 for the time being to see which one I like in the long run. Meanwhile, I think I have a sdc mic lying around somewhere in the house..
Old 12-17-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I have the RE20 and SM7b -- nothing wrong with those. However, the Beyer M88 is the one that gets used regularly. It sounds better on me, and has better rejection.... The rejection is good enough that if I point the null towards my monitors I can get usable takes without using headphones.

Yup I really think the mic chooses you rather than the other way round!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD