The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 PM

Default For the Gretsch guys...

- a little something on the somewhat lesser-known, double-cut version of the White Falcon Project-o-Sonic 6137 courtesy of https://www.musicradar.com/news/clas...h-white-falcon

This one's likely one of the very first double-cuts: "Gretsch" headstock font, elongated trussrod cover, dual dial-up mutes, and lack of gold-sparkle binding inside the f-holes date production to the 1961-62 transition period; a little-known fact is that Neil Young - more closely associated with the '61 single-cut Project-o-Sonic acquired in a trade with then-bandmate Stephen Stills - used a similar instrument in the early days of CSNY. Here's a couple of pics: note differences in mute knob placement (enough to render it essentially unusable after the Bigsby conversion) and trussrod cover length (visibly shorter than the earlier example) which would IMO date it to mid/late-'62, just before the switchover to "King George" '63 Country Gent-style flip-up mutes (small knobs/red-felt bushings):

Old 06-14-2020, 07:30 AM

A Gretsch semi (6120, White Falcon, Country Gentlemen) single or double cutaway is the only electric guitar that can ignite any GAS in me.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous! I'm a sucker for Gretsch double cuts and this one is a ripper.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Seeing and hearing Neil Young and Stephen Stills playing Gretsch's in the Buffalo Springfield was the reason I HAD TO HAVE A GRETSCH!!!

I knew (back then) that the White Falcon was the creme de la creme of them all, but I didn't have a clue as to all the inner workings and in's and out's of Gretsch's... truth be told, I didn't understand any of that, even after I owned my first one! WHAT are all those knobs and switches for, anyway?

Beautiful guitar, Steve; lots of memories!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-14-2020, 10:42 AM

VERY cool!! I love these..
Old 06-14-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Gotta admit the White Falcon is one of the classiest looking guitars ever

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-16-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
WHAT are all those knobs and switches for, anyway?
That's a stereo version.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...WHAT are all those knobs and switches for, anyway?
TMK each of the pickups was split into two mini-Filter'trons - one half for the bass strings, one half for the treble - with each being wired to its own 3-position preset tone switch (hence the four switches on the upper cutaway), while the switch on the lower cutaway is a conventional three-way pickup selector; the two knobs along the rim are individual pickup volume controls, whereas those closest to the tailpiece dial up/down to regulate the pressure of the two foam-rubber mutes (one bass, one treble) under the strings just ahead of the bridge - a distinguishing feature of '62 and very early '63 Falcons and Country Gents (the double-cut "Nashville" 6120 and some period Country Clubs used a single mute, and all would go to a small-knob, flip-up design by mid-'63). Note that the '62 Project-o-Sonic lacks the standby switch - IME a handy feature when you don't have a master volume - fitted to '63 and later versions (as well as most mono '62 double cuts, and a few very rare late-1961 transitional single-cuts)...

Now, wasn't that easy...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars