The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
Hey Fngrstyl

One thing that was not mentioned about Kenny Hill New World Guitars, was that "New World" means made in China. Buyer beware.

Tom C.
^^^^^ ^^^^^

I've owned a Kenny Hill New World Estudio guitar and I was very impressed. Awesome bang for the buck and an extremely well-made instrument.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM

I agree with the post that said you need to go to a good shop and play the instruments. Price is not the best indicator. Your ears (or the ears of a knowledgeable friend) and your fingers are much better indicators. I've heard a $500 guitar sound better than a $5000 guitar (though I admit that usually the more expensive guitar will be better). Also determine what scale length you want. There are a lot of options there. Also decide if you want spruce or cedar top. They sound different.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma_shortscale View Post
I if I were you I'd find a guitar shop with a good selection of new and used classicals and go play every one in in your price range and maybe a few that cost more and buy the one you like.
10-4 on that recommendation...find a shop and PLAY lots of gits until you find THE ONE for you.
Oft overlooked, I would suggest you look at an Alvarez Yairi series. Quality guitars all hand made. Several models in your price range...check the Evil-BAY listings, Craigslist on local and national search (to get a feel for pricing).
Good luck...ENJOY the search. Lots of good used gits out there, so you can be in the drivers seat.

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 03-17-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I met with the teacher, and I have decided against taking lessons. I would essentially be starting completely over on guitar. Learning to read music ( though good, not necessary for me), different hand/arm position and not to mention a HUGE neck Even if I play "wrong" I'm not ready to try to relearn everything ya know? Thanks again

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
Hey Fngrstyl

One thing that was not mentioned about Kenny Hill New World Guitars, was that "New World" means made in China. Buyer beware.

Tom C.
What an odd thing to say.

Last edited by dwalton; 03-18-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Last edited by dwalton; 03-18-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I met with the teacher, and I have decided against taking lessons. I would essentially be starting completely over on guitar. Learning to read music ( though good, not necessary for me), different hand/arm position and not to mention a HUGE neck Even if I play "wrong" I'm not ready to try to relearn everything ya know? Thanks again
Maybe you are "pigeonholing" too much here.....buy a classical and play it where "it leads you" and don't approach it as starting over, but taking you somewhere new down the same road.

You certainly don't have to play classical music on it, and don't have to take lessons from someone with rigid ideas of what is wrong and right.

I'd hate to see you miss an opportunity to explore the sound of the nylon strings because of that!

Just a thought....

Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 AM

Default Classical guitars

I agree. Nylon guitar allows you to explore a lot of styles. You may need to seek out a teacher that will adjust a bit to your goals too. My wife and I went to a guitar instructor to learn how to play Worship music but when he told us we would gain a great deal of ability by spending 12 months of classical guitar lessons we trusted him and gave it a try. Now we couldn't even imagine not playing some classical music and are very thankful that we listen to the instructor because he has brought us much further along than we would've been without classical guitar instruction. It is much easier now to play worship music than before and we get the added benefit of being more educated and more capable of playing other types of music. In many ways I look at Nylon string guitars as one of the most versatile types of instruments to play. You can really play almost anything with the nylon string guitar and you can practice for a significant amount of time because you don't get as worn out.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
What you say here does not line up with the Hedges quote in your sig. Michael was a classical student at Peabody.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Look for a used Yairi. They are wonderful guitars, hand made and you can get one for around $1200.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM

I would still like a nylon string, but it will be a crossover for sure. I definitely love the sound of nylon, and not just for classical music. I'm simply just not taking lessons from the teacher I met, that's all

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
I would still like a nylon string, but it will be a crossover for sure. I definitely love the sound of nylon, and not just for classical music. I'm simply just not taking lessons from the teacher I met, that's all
Make sure you play a few crossovers first.....the 1 7/8 (or less in some cases) nut width feels like a 1 11/16 nut on a steel string to me. No way I could ever get used to it. I have small hands too!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
A lot of straight classical guitar teachers want you to hold your hands in the "correct position." I found this frustrating when I studied it in college and quit after one or two quarters. I think if you look around you will find a teacher who will allow you to play in the position that is comfortable to you.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
A lot of straight classical guitar teachers want you to hold your hands in the "correct position." I found this frustrating when I studied it in college and quit after one or two quarters. I think if you look around you will find a teacher who will allow you to play in the position that is comfortable to you.
I agree. I have lots of bad habits -- posture, hand position, etc, but still get by with a decent sound (I think!).

2016 Larrivee LV03
1995 Simon & Patrick "quilted maple"
1979 S. Yairi classical
2012 Ibanez AEG10NE 14 fret nylon
2016 Seagull M4 (Merlin)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Lots of harmonicas
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco Bear View Post
I agree. I have lots of bad habits -- posture, hand position, etc, but still get by with a decent sound (I think!).
David Russell has a right hand position that makes most traditionalists shudder, but the results speak for themselves!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical