The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 09:19 AM

Default Pick for someone with arthritis

I've developed arthritis in the thumb joint of my pick hand. I'm already doing physical therapy and heat/ice and antiinflamatories.

Has anyone dealt with this? A pick that's a little thicker to give my thumb some relief? Some of those stick on pads? Or duct tape (not kidding)?

Any assistance much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:38 AM

Sounds like you are on top of the therapeutic aspects but just in case; Voltaren is a cream I heard about on the forum that helped with my thumb issues. I also found Penguin Fingers (ice sleeves) and heated therapy gloves helpful for hot/cold treatment.

As for picks, you might try https://blackmountainpicks.com/pages/thumb-picks since they grip your thumb with a spring but feel more like regular picks in use than traditional thumb picks. Good luck!
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 03-21-2024, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

You might check out a Strum N Comfort Kodiak pick system. It’s a piece of fabric that wraps around your thumb. Not sure that it would work for you but is another option.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2024, 10:15 AM

Have you tried out thumb picks? I would order one of each 6-10 thumb picks and experiment with them. You might have to modify one/some but you'll likely find something therein. Or, thumb & forefinger together in lieu of a pick. To me, it seems that a heavier pick would cause more thumb irritation but.........?
Old 03-21-2024, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

good advice above. You might also check out the Fred Kelly bumblebee. It's adjustable and not expensive. Steve Earle uses them for similar reasons that you have noted in your post.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Carpometacarpal thumb joint?
Basal joint arthritis ?

Oh yeah, it has hit me badly in the last few months.

There are surgical options - one of my ex clients had it - extremely painful, and not that successful.

My GP recommended these : https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/F...o&ref_=ast_bln

I'm using one on my right hand but it is creeping into my left hand too.

On the right hand it is a little clumsy to play guitar -can't imagine how it could enable the left hand.

I sleep in mine and use it when driving, cycling. and will be when I'm gardening.

A thick rubber band also works.

Ironic as I have to teach people how to hold/use flat picks and/or finger pick, without over using the CMC joint.
Now it's got me!

Picks ? 346 Large triangles - apart from 3 x 60 degree "points" they are large enough to "hold" rather than "grip" and allow you to keep your thumb straight across your index finger. Have a look at this :

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-21-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I also have difficulty holding onto picks and though thicker picks are easier to hold, I don't like playing picks above 1.0mm. So I use adhesive pads or even thick tape on my favorites picks and it works very well. The extra thickness where you hold really does help and you can still use whatever thickness you want on the playing end. "3M Microfoam Medical Tape" REALLY well for me. Just thick enough, grippy and it adheres well even if it gets wet/sweaty, and you can cut it to the size/shape you want. One roll will last for years.

Last edited by gmel555; 03-21-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:01 AM

I personally like these : https://www.anatomyofsound.com/

Small family owned company that produces a pick that's thick where you hold it but varies in thinness over their models where you need it -- where the pick meets the string.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Carpometacarpal thumb joint?
Basal joint arthritis ?

Oh yeah, it has hit me badly in the last few months.

There are surgical options - one of my ex clients had it - extremely painful, and not that successful.
My basal joint arthroplasty happened about eight years ago, and was completely successful. Now, the small scar where my thumb bones meet the wrist is the only reminder of the problem. I was back to playing in two months. If that's the OP's problem, don't be discouraged.

My non-surgical recommendation would be to try a much thicker pick, 2-4mm between the fingers, that's been beveled into a sharp or rounded edge. The guitar won't know, because you only hit the strings with the edge of the pick. It may turn out that it's easier to hold something thicker than thinner. My V-Picks stick to my fingers naturally, so you don't have to squeeze them hard. Another picker I know puts rubber wraps on the back of his picks, the ones hardware stores sell in colors to identify door keys. Excessive tension in the hand may be the root of your problem.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 03-21-2024, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Fender rubber grip picks are quite thick and can be held without much pressure.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c929--Gui...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

A thumb brace is most helpful in the night. You can't imagine how many "wrong" movements one makes while sleeping, which stress the thumb-root articulation! This is the first piece of advise physicians give you. Unfortunately such problems can only get worse with time, there is no cure. But there is a world of difference waking up in the morning after a sleep with or without the grip/brace. With this, some Voltaren cream, and ibuprofen when it gets real painful, I can play. On the plus side, the more I play, and the joint warms up, the less pain I feel.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about your dealings with arthritis. I am no stranger to it. Like, as a recent (5 year) guitar player, I do not have enough stumbling blocks to deal with.
I have used Voltaren (generic - diclofenac) with some benefit. But, it is a conventional NSAID, which is not a good fit for me, as is Ibuprofen. This past week, I have been using Arnica gel on my finger knuckles with some good effect. It is an organic-based homeopathic remedy in gel form. It works in a similar fashion as diclofenac. Like every other remedy, it works for some and not for others, and with a range of results. I think it has been of benefit to me, but have been using it, again, for less than a week.

If you are like me, and investigate meds before taking them, this may be of interest:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8537440/

"In conclusion, Arnica presents comparable activity to standard medications, such as ibuprofen and diclofenac, for pain management under different medical conditions. It also shows fewer adverse effects along with lower costs. Arnica could be an adjunct approach for acute and chronic pain management."

Available everywhere. Hope this helps and best of luck.

David
Old 03-21-2024, 12:45 PM

Guitar Moose picks work quite well for me. And there are options….
Old 03-21-2024, 01:04 PM

@belbain I’m sorry to hear about the discomfort, and hope you find a solution that works for you.

I have some arthritis in my hands. What helps me is a pick that has texture, and surprisingly, stiffer picks. The stiffer picks make me feel like I don’t have to grip as hard. I’m using 1.3mm at the moment and really like it, but I did gradually progress over a few weeks.

Good luck and be well.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:14 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi!

Pat Simmons of the Doobie Brothers takes a Dobro thumbpick, cuts off the pick end, slides in a Dunlop Tortex pick to the thumb collar, and then uses gaffers tape strips to hold the contraption together.

You could do the same and then use the index finger and hold it as if it was a free pick..

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion