The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

That strikes me as some pretty piss poor QC. The response from Furch sounds like some cover-your-posterior bull manure. I'd get it repaired under warranty or get it replaced. If I'm going to accept dents or chips in a new guitar, then I'm going to be the one that puts them there.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Guitars are meant to be played, dents, knicks, and scratches are going to happen. As you say the tone is great!
Old 03-14-2024, 10:30 AM

I think a broken binding like the one pictured shouldn't be on any new instrument. I hope this was an over-the counter purchase and the retailer can swap the instrument for one that the purchaser can accept. What happens next is for the retailer to solve with their supplier. Pitchforks, torches, and keening can be left in drama class, but I think the guitar shouldn't have been available to purchase.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think a broken binding like the one pictured shouldn't be on any new instrument. I hope this was an over-the counter purchase and the retailer can swap the instrument for one that the purchaser can accept. What happens next is for the retailer to solve with their supplier. Pitchforks, torches, and keening can be left in drama class, but I think the guitar shouldn't have been available to purchase.

Right on …
Old 03-14-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
From what I see it's more of a small divot than a scratch. It's unfortunate but it wouldn't bother me. Play on sir.

I agree with Bluenose...especially, if, like the OP, I found the guitar to sound incredible. I would just shrug it off...it IS a very tiny flaw, and not one that will ever cause any structural or playing issues at all...and enjoy the guitar. If you return it, you never know if the new one you get will sound as good to you. A "keeper" is worth keeping, even if it has a tiny imperfection. For me, anyway.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-14-2024, 11:20 AM

Other Furch with ebony or ziricote (in Red) are straight, in my Violet it's perfect. Normally in color series there is no binding along fretboard. Vintage is extra line, and all binding woods are put separately along the neck.

It'll not cause more damage, it's pretty stable, i could not feel under finger.

Yes, it's 3k eur. I've got 5% at shop plus 3% for this damage. Not bad, however still quite expensive amd quite a bummer.

Yes, I'm more player. But, i hope i will not need to sell it any day, although you never know what life brings, and selling used with issue might be problematic.

Other aspect, it was only one piece of this model available in Europe, next is in production for Mai. Soo... exchange for unknown, maybe it'll have another issue and i would loose only money for currency exchanges (bought directly in Czech).

It's good to see opinion on other like Taylor, Collings, L'arivve etc.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:23 AM

Put the camera down and play the guitar.

Last edited by frankmcr; 03-14-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Smith View Post
Yes, it's 3k eur. I've got 5% at shop plus 3% for this damage. Not bad, however still quite expensive amd quite a bummer.
I discovered a chip off the left-side edge of the fretboard right next to the nut on my Cabaret, which is in the same price category. TFOA claim they didn't see it but still gave me a rebate for this plus a few other not-so-niceties that don't affect the playability at all.
My guess is that the chip happened during the set-up after the guitar had been vetted by the vendor (who hand-picked it for me from their stock).

The chip on the Furch looks like it could have been caused filing down a sharp fret end. 8% off the price for such a small detail is really not bad at all.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-14-2024, 02:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Welcome to the forum, btw.

I had a Furch Yellow and it was perfect. I agree with RJVB that it probably happened after it left Furch's hands.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-14-2024, 08:57 PM

I would see if I could get a discount or I would send it back.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:21 AM

Default New top line Guitar - scratch - your opinion

I personally would not be too impressed with that either. That is more than a scratch. Quite surprised by Furch's response, I'd contact them again. That's not even close to 'perfect'.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Smith View Post
Hello,

I bought new Furch Vintage 3, at home discovered scratch dent at 15th fret in koa binding.
Response from factory is that it's hand brushed and because of it it's very hard to finish all in 100% perfect finish.
I own another Furch which is perfect. I guess it's tough with so thin 1mm wood to brush and bind. I might understand it.
Sound is incredible though.

I just wonder what are your experience? Are all new top end guitars clear in finish?
Do you accept or return?

It's really expensive stuff, that's why the doubts. I might be too picky probably.

Let me know,
Thanks
I can't even identify what you mean in the photos
Old 03-15-2024, 01:48 AM

I understand your disappointment in a new high-end instrument. However, I'd be inclined to consider it a unique, distinguishing feature, especially if it plays and sounds great. That mark is how you know it's yours and none other.

I've had similar experiences but I soon forgot about the imperfection and found joy in the music it produces. My opinion doesn't matter - you gotta' be happy with your purchase.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:28 AM

I don't know if that's a dent or a small chisel divot. I am fussy about my guitars and that tiny divot would bother me for about 7 seconds - assuming I even found it. For a guitar that sounds beautiful I wouldn't dream of returning it for that.

But it obviously bothers you more than it would me, so you have to know yourself. If you're going to spend the next 5 years fixated on that spot every time you pick up the guitar you should probably return it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-15-2024, 05:47 AM

I’m pretty sure it might bug me, but…. If you bought direct from Furch, I understand the response but did they offer a solution? If you bought it from a dealer did they offer a discount? If the response is “too bad so sad” it may be harder to simply accept.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion