The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 09:58 AM

While I live in California, I spent a lot of time on business in NYC.

LOVE THAT CITY!

I usually had time to make it to Rudy's, etc., and Madison Hardware (I collect old Lionel trains) at 105 E. 23rd St. Loved those stores.

I preferred flying in and out of NYC via Newark Airport. That allowed me time to head over the bridge and down Forest Ave to Mandolin Brothers. What a FANTASTIC store that was! I wish every guitar player out there could have had a chance to see that store and enjoy Stan, Larry, and the others who made it so great. That drive down Forest Ave also took me to several fantastic diners where a lunch stop was a MUST DO. Great fun!

I think the suggestion above that store rents drove away the shops when online purchasing became so popular is correct. Thankfully, I live just 20 minutes from Gryphon Stringed Instruments and they ain't goin' nowhere. Don't miss this fabulous guitar store if you're in the area.

Mandolin Brothers pic. They kept the best stuff up on the second floor. Thanks to Larry Wexer I got to play two different PreWar Martin D-45's and a number of PreWar D-28's and D-18's up there. THANKS Larry!

Lionel Corporation's first Service Station. Amongst train collectors, this store was Mecca.:

Last edited by 6L6; 03-11-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Love the pics, 6L6, thanks for sharing!
Beard resonator Englemann/walnut
Old 03-11-2024, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I didn’t mention The Music Zoo in my post above because I assumed that the showroom was still closed. Maybe they have reopened it recently, but the last I heard, The Music Zoo’s showroom (which is/was very nice) has been permanently closed since the pandemic. Apparently their online presence is all they need.

Been out of the loop and was not aware that the Music Zoo is now by appointment only. If they had a specific guitar I wanted at a price that was acceptable I wouldn’t hesitate to make an appointment.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-11-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
While I live in California, I spent a lot of time on business in NYC.

LOVE THAT CITY!

I usually had time to make it to Rudy's, etc., and Madison Hardware (I collect old Lionel trains) at 105 E. 23rd St. Loved those stores.

I preferred flying in and out of NYC via Newark Airport. That allowed me time to head over the bridge and down Forest Ave to Mandolin Brothers. What a FANTASTIC store that was! I wish every guitar player out there could have had a chance to see that store and enjoy Stan, Larry, and the others who made it so great. That drive down Forest Ave also took me to several fantastic diners where a lunch stop was a MUST DO. Great fun!

I think the suggestion above that store rents drove away the shops when online purchasing became so popular is correct. Thankfully, I live just 20 minutes from Gryphon Stringed Instruments and they ain't goin' nowhere. Don't miss this fabulous guitar store if you're in the area.

Mandolin Brothers pic. They kept the best stuff up on the second floor. Thanks to Larry Wexer I got to play two different PreWar Martin D-45's and a number of PreWar D-28's and D-18's up there. THANKS Larry!

Lionel Corporation's first Service Station. Amongst train collectors, this store was Mecca.:

“ Went to Staten Island, Sharon
Buy myself a mandolin…”
Old 03-11-2024, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post

“ Went to Staten Island, Sharon
Buy myself a mandolin…”
I hadn't listened to that it a very long time, super evocative, thanks.
Beard resonator Englemann/walnut
Old 03-11-2024, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I pass by Sam Ash often. What a nice store. Too bad.

I used to take my son for sax lessons on 47th street (15 years ago, Tim Price) and would hang out in the hall while waiting for him. I remember hearing Jane Monheit running through her repertoire once. Then we'd go to Hop Kee in Chinatown (21 Mott street). Nice memories.

I still go to Hop Kee. Some of the wait staff have been working there for at least 45 years. I've been going there for at least that long and still recognize some of them. Hasn't helped me get a table when they're busy though.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion