The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Guidance Appreciated

Hello all,

There are clearly many experienced acoustic guitar players here, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

I am someone who has played for a few decades, but I am still just an intermediate player with a low-end Yamaha guitar.

For the most part, I just finger pick, and I love a warm (but not muddy) , resonant, powerful sound.

Can anyone make suggestions on a good guitar like this in the 2K price range?

I have tried most of the Taylors and Martins, and I lean toward the Martins (as most of you could probably surmise – given my preferences).

I think the sound that I liked the best was that of the HD-28. I was thus thinking of an HD-28P (with the wider nut width for finger-picking).

Anyway, I have been feeling very confused lately because I know that there are good Larivees and Breedloves out there as well, and I wonder if I could get a better guitar for my money with one of those.

Needless to say, I want to be happy with this guitar purchase.

Thanks very much for any suggestions and guidance.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM

I've always felt that Martins had a scooped tone. Good Lows and Highs, but less in the mid-range. As a finger picker, do you want that sound or would you prefer a more balanced tone ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 PM

My thought is that, at this price range, you'll have a lot of choices, many of which might fall into anyone's "better" and "best value" category. I personally don't think that anyone else can tell you what will be better for you in such a target-rich environment. I'm a big Larrivee fan but yes, you'll find Martins and Breedloves and Taylors and others that all merit your attention, and no two guitars are the same. Bottom line, yes, you want to be happy with this purchase, so play as many of all these as you can and let your ears and hands (and eyes) be your guide.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

When you described your sound preferences, I immediately thought -- HD-28. And then you stated that was your preference. You should go for it. You'll love it. Or the HD-28P. Make yourself happy.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 PM

Glenwillow

I just might! (Thanks for the response.)

slewis

Is there a Larivee model that you would recommend that you think has a deep resonance and powerful projection?

JohnW63

I guess I never noticed the absence of the mid-ranges in the Martins. They just struck me as deeper and more resonant than the Taylors. (What many regard as the bright, crisp sound of the Taylors seems to strike me as more of a flat, dead sound with little projection – but I realize that many others might feel very differently!)

I probably don’t have as discerning an ear as you (and others) do.

What I seem to like most is deep resonance and powerful projection (as long as things don’t get too dark and muddy).
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 AM

I agree with Glenn that, given your preferences, one of the HD-28 models you mentioned might be your best choice. But you also asked for guidance regarding Larrivée guitars.

I think you're going to be happiest with a rosewood guitar, and the two I'd suggest you'd search out to try are the Larrivée OM-03R and, especially, the Larrivée L-03R. Both are satin finish all-solid wood guitars with spruce tops and Indian rosewood backs and sides, and both have nuts that are 1 3/4" wide. The L-03R is actually wider across the lower bout than a Martin dreadnought, but it's got a tighter waist and a smaller upper bout, and is a very versatile instrument.

I own an L-03R that a buddy and I converted to an eight string, with octave courses on the D and G strings. I also own a limited edition Larrivée OM-03W, which is an OM with black walnut back and sides that I just love. (Those have only ever been made on sporadic occasions. They're not currently in production.) I've owned several other Larrivées and played as many as I can get my hands on, and overall have to say that they represent one of the best values in high quality acoustic guitars that can be found, especially with their less expensive satin finish "3 Series" guitars like the two I've recommended to you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 AM

As far as I'm aware there is no HD-28P model. There are D-28Ps and HD-28MPs. If you are referring to the HD-28MP, then it is more expensive than the standard HD-28 as it uses Madagascan Rosewood. I would not recommend the D-28P for fingerpicking as it is very quiet, compared to say when you strum it.

I wouldn't recommend Breedloves because I find they lack sustain, Larrivees are OK I personally aren't wowed by them. Did you get a chance to try the D-18? It is within your price range, don't be fooled by the fact that it is cheaper, it just has Mahogany for its back and side woods instead of Rosewood, which is good for fingerpicking.

And well... I would suggest $2,000 Yamahas but I'm guessing you want to try something different?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 AM

Martin has made an HD-28P, though I don't know if they still do. Here's one. http://www.elderly.com/items/10U-3392.htm

Ps346, you said, "I think the sound that I liked the best was that of the HD-28." That's good enough for me! While there are lots of other good guitars out there in your price range, you've already narrowed it down to one particular one that grabs you, even to one of them with a slightly wider nut. Sounds to me like you have a winner, and will only drive yourself batty trying to second guess yourself.

Go get that HD-28P, and let us know how you like it!

cotten
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm like you OP - played for years and only recently 'converted' to acoustic and fingerstyle.

My inexpert thoughts are that you want a guitar with a 1 3/4" nut and either 2 1/4" or 2 5/16" string spacing at the saddle.

On that basis, I don't think a dred is the right thing for fingerstyle. An OM is the default body shape and with your budget I'd go for a Martin or Larrivee.

You then have a good reference point - a benchmark - for further purchases, as you get to know what you're after from there.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 AM

I'm not exactly sure what the "P" stands for on the model listed in the Elderly ad. It's a 1989 model and it has a 1 11/16 inch nut, while the current D-18 and D-28P models feature the "Performing Artist" neck with the 1 3/4 inch nut width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Martin has made an HD-28P, though I don't know if they still do. Here's one. http://www.elderly.com/items/10U-3392.htm

Ps346, you said, "I think the sound that I liked the best was that of the HD-28." That's good enough for me! While there are lots of other good guitars out there in your price range, you've already narrowed it down to one particular one that grabs you, even to one of them with a slightly wider nut. Sounds to me like you have a winner, and will only drive yourself batty trying to second guess yourself.

Go get that HD-28P, and let us know how you like it!

cotten

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Martin used the P designation for low-profile necks when they were introduced before standardising it - so that HD-28P listed is in fact the same as the current HD-28... But an 1989 version. I wonder if the one the OP saw was also an HD-28P from around those years.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 PM

Boy, what a great forum – many helpful people.

I appreciate all the responses.

For the record, I did mean the HD-28MP – this one:

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...7-hd-28mp.html

Black Beauty – I remember talking with the Martin rep on the phone about the Solid Madagascar Rosewood. It definitely bumps the price up a lot (~1K), and I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between this (or Brazilian Rosewood, for that matter) and Indian Rosewood.

I get only an extra 1/16” of total string spacing at the bridge with the “P” neck, so I doubt it’s worth it to me. Also, I measured the bridge string spacing of my low-end Yamaha, and it’s only 2”, but I seem to have been finger picking fine with it over the past few decades.

(Again, for the record, I think the “P” – ”Performing Artist” – neck profiles on Martins are flatter, with a wider nut width, and not as deep as the non-“P” necks.)

Thanks for the tip about the D-28P and fingerpicking as well as the Breedlove’s lack of sustain (very important to me).

Yes, I did try the D-18, and I liked it. It’s definitely one that I’m considering, but I seemed to like the HD-28 better. It seemed to have such a *full* response that seemed somewhat lacking (to me, anyway) in the D-18.

(I really liked the back of the D-35, btw.)

If you end up reading this, BB, I *really would* like to hear your recommendations for 2K Yamahas. I am amazed at the tone of my inexpensive, low, low-end FG-345, so I think a 2K Yamaha might be a great sounding. Guitar.

(I’m hoping that their more expensive guitars have at least a 2 1/8” string spacing at the bridge?)

Very Slow Hand – I realize that the OM models are more for finger-picking, but I was thinking of a dreadnought model because I really like a bold, loud response (the bolder and louder, the better, actually). I think this is what I am looking for the most.

Do you think I could get that type of response from an OM model?

Wade Hampton – thanks very much more the pointers on Larrivee guitars – much appreciated.

And for all who think that the HD-28 would be a good choice – well, I’m definitely leaning in that direction. It has only a 2 1/8” string spacing at the bridge (somewhat tight for a finger picker), but it doesn’t seem to bother me at all.

Thanks again for all the responses – a great forum!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps346 View Post

Thanks for the tip about the D-28P and fingerpicking as well as the Breedlove’s lack of sustain (very important to me).
For what it's worth, my Breedlove (American Series C20/SR) has quite a bit more sustain than my Martin D-35. It's also far more responsive.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Very Slow Hand – I realize that the OM models are more for finger-picking, but I was thinking of a dreadnought model because I really like a bold, loud response (the bolder and louder, the better, actually). I think this is what I am looking for the most.

Do you think I could get that type of response from an OM model?
Sure - my Recording King OM is LOUD!!! The shallower body is more comfortable for sitting/playing too.

Not sure why bold and loud are so important - are you playing out or at home? If you're fixed on something more 'dready', take Wade's advice and look at Larrivee L-03 - that'll give you the wider string spacings in a more manageable package.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
For the most part, I just finger pick, and I love a warm (but not muddy) , resonant, powerful sound.
Find a used Santa Cruz OM/PW. They have exactly the sound you describe and are a joy to play. They show up frequently on eBay used in the low 2K range. The standard Santa Cruz OM has a more modern and balanced tone. The Santa Cruz OM/PW is warmer and woodier and wonderfuller IMHO . I have some very nice guitars and my Santa Cruz OM/PW is one of my favorites. Played fingerstyle, it's every bit as loud as any dread played fingerstyle... perhaps more so if you have a lighter touch. It takes less to get the top moving on the OM/PW than the Martin dreads that I've played including the HD-28.

Another great guitar that has the sound you describe is the Santa Cruz 1929 000 - I traded for one last month and it has since blown my socks off daily. It's an all mahogany guitar and has a complex, warm, rich, dark and woody tone that is simply amazing. A fingerstyle player's dream. There's a used one for sale in your price range on the AGF buy/sell board as I type. And, for an all mahogany 000, this guitar has plenty of volume to boot. A bit less than the OM/PW but enough for any fingerstyle playing that I can think of.

Scott

Last edited by smpetty; 09-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion