The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2020, 03:34 PM

Default Ideas to incorporate drums and percussion sounds into acoustic gigging

I'm not talking about "percussive" style of play, but additional rig that would help to bring the rhythm forward, when gigging as a solo guitarist. Going with a full-fledged backing tracks seems like going a step too far - not only in the terms of unnatural arrangements when gigging alone with a singer, but also because of a heavy task to prepare the backing tracks for all the songs and to play them fast and unnoticed in a live setting. I've seen guitarists using leg-tambourine, and as for myself, I made a bass drum pedal from a simple piezzo microphone, and I'm using it to give some rhythm (cool for acoustic covers of a 90s dance and techno songs). Any other ideas?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:57 PM

Beatbuddy is the most intuitive solution so far in my opinion. Still too difficult to juggle if you have other pedals though.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:47 PM

The BOSS DR-01s is a great simple unit that can run on batteries or AC. It has basic rhythm patterns that complement acoustic guitar. It can be foot controlled with a pedal. I sit it on a small tray attached to my mic stand and it adds just enough patterns that loop for some percussion to my playing and singing. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM

I had one of these for awhile. Pretty realistic
Sounding and is still you playing not
Some loop thingy..
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 AM

Check out "Suitcase Drum".

I've seen one used live by a performer while standing with the drum in front of him.

Here's a video of one being used while the player is sitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVjx2Ua1eQA
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 08-10-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

My oldies band uses a Yamaha DT-550 drum module, fed by pocket and foot sensors. Kathy uses kick and snare in her pockets, and I use kick and ride cymbal from foot pads (one at a time, because I am standing).

I haven't played solo guitar gigs with this setup, but could imagine triggering two percussion sounds while seated.

I made the sensors by sandwiching a 20mm garden variety (eBay) piezo sensor between two ~3" x 4" sections of mouse pad and gluing it together. It's not critical, a lot of ways will work.

The beauty of this system is it is expressive due to the touch/pressure sensitivity of the triggering. The Yamaha drum sounds are very good.

Here's an example with Kathy slapping thighs for kick and snare.

James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 08-10-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

I walk out on any performance with either canned tracks or a machine. Period. Loopers are fine if the loops are created in real time. A percussionist would be best, followed by a one man band devise like Shakey Graves' suitcase drum. I've seen snareless snare drums with a kick drum pedal, cajons with a kick drum pedal, etc. A kick pedal on one foot and a tambourine on the others gives a nice Kick,snare combo.

You can make a Tennesee stomp box for $20 with a cheap bass pickup, but beware getting an aluminum plate, so take a magnet to be sure you get a steel plate. Of course this needs a PA or amp to plug into.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I walk out on any performance with either canned tracks or a machine.
To each his own. Having acquired the BeatBuddy a long time ago, I'm impressed and grateful for any performing artist who can organically integrate it into their performance. I can't, yet. The Boss DR-01 mentioned above is a much simpler version of the same general idea. Glad to hear hotroad using it live. I use mine for practice and vain attempts to improve my sense of tempo.

I've seen plenty of locals use stomp boxes and the like, effectively. It amazed me how useful a foot-tambourine is when used in skilled hands. Or feet.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM

Some really nice ideas here! Will look into it! I am using looper live, and my Yamaha CPX500II has a really loud and "bassy" thump sound when you "slap" your finger over the bass strings near the bridge. I use it to give kick drum imitation.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:05 PM

Tried a lot of options and the Beat Buddy was the best solution I found and people really like it. It sounds great coming out of your PA and you can mix it as loud or as low as you like, so its barely noticeable. I would much rather see someone kick off a song quickly with a Beat Buddy then have to wait 2 minutes for tapped beat to be looped.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:20 PM

I tried the beatbuddy (too much work to program)
I have the DR01S (I absolutely love it)
I made some DIY axoloti and Rasberry Pi based stuff (WAY to much work)

And eventually finished with backing tracks made with EZ drummer.

I wish there was a more powerful thing than the DR01S which enables you to have only 2 flavors of a pattern which is a too limited for songs because with EZ drummer you will end up with drums more than percussive stuffs
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 08-11-2020, 02:41 PM

This is a Farmer Foot Drum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Az...WS82Fk&index=1

Last edited by 121; 08-11-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

You can make music, or have machines make music. You can hire a band or a DJ. The average non musician does not care witch. Many would rather do Karaoke drunk. To each his own. Looping in real time is hard. Learning to play is hard. Learning to sing is hard.

I once heard a four piece band open for us. I heard three percussionists, and two synth players. Drummer was playing to a computer track. It was slick, it was professional, it was soulless. The people around me didn't notice. I asked a guy where the keyboard player was and he answered, Huh?

If it gets you gigs as a solo act, well go ahead. I won't be there. That's ok . For both of us. I've heard enough good musicians to know they can captivate you with just a guitar and a mic, or just a guitar. I guess it's commerce vs art. Proud to know the difference.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-11-2020, 05:14 PM

So if I use a Boss for a little percussion to add to my solo gig, I am not an artist anymore? Ouch!!

I play better and am more creative with a little thump ching chick chick behind my acoustic guitar playing and singing. In fifty years of consistent gigging I have never had a person complain to me that I was using a electronic musical tool for percussion....though I was. As already said, to each his/her own.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
So if I use a Boss for a little percussion to add to my solo gig, I am not an artist anymore? Ouch!!

I play better and am more creative with a little thump ching chick chick behind my acoustic guitar playing and singing. In fifty years of consistent gigging I have never had a person complain to me that I was using a electronic musical tool for percussion....though I was. As already said, to each his/her own.
Of course..if you use it tastefully. I agree canned
Drum kits or canned vocals or canned anything
Sounds just that. The girl above in James May's
Video uses it the same way she would use a tambourine. It sounded fine. It's when the band
Has two guitar players and all of a sudden there's
A full canned drum kit coming out of the speakers that it pushes that milli-vanilli. envelope. If you need that in your band then
You should put a drummer to work..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification