The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Yet another subjective review of a few guitars and such.

I took a long lunch yesterday and stopped by Guitar Center to play a handful of guitars. Mostly to remind myself how much I need a D-18, but also to see what else might be interesting to compare.

Thankfully, the D-18 was within arm's reach, which isn't always the case. One strum and I was reminded why I have had a lingering crush on this guitar. I've played probably 8-10 different D-18s in the last five years or so and they are always good and almost always great. I love the balance of bass, midrange, and treble on the D-18, the light build, and the no-nonsense appointments.

After putting the D-18 back on the wall, I noticed a new J-45. I have the slope-shoulder box checked with a stellar guitar at home, but wanted to play it back-to-back with the Martin anyway. I have to say I wasn't impressed with this particular J-45. It didn't seem to have that warm, compressed tone I am used to hearing.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a couple J-15s on the wall. I've played this model once or twice before and had been impressed by its sound -- which I think is somewhere between the J-35 and J-45, and its price -- which is less than either guitar. I don't love the shiny rosette on the J-15, but they had one in a lovely sunburst that wrapped the whole package up nicely. Unfortunately the guitar sounded awful. I've always shaken my head at the whole "stuffed full of socks" comment, but this one really did sound that way. Too bad.

I was searching for a Taylor to play, even though I've got that base covered as well, but everything was either a 100-200 series or a cutaway model, with the exception of a 322e 12-fret that was up too high for me to reach. Oh well. They're all imperfect and obsolete guitars without V-bracing anyway

Over on the Taylor wall, however, was a D-35, which I thought sounded really nice. I think I prefer the D-35 tone to the D-28 -- including the new one -- and it would probably be close between it and the HD-28V, which I'm assuming the new HD-28 sounds most like. I could see myself seriously considering a D-35 someday, especially now that they've gone back to a more vintage look with the appointments.

Had to play the D-18 again after playing the D-35. Mmmmhmmm.

Talked to a nice guy as I was finishing up in the acoustic room -- he was complimentary of my playing and curious about some chords I was playing midway up the neck. I showed him and we talked guitars for a couple minutes, which was fun.

Before leaving, I played the updated Fender Blues Junior amp. Aesthetically, I think I prefer the black knobs and non-aged grill cloth of the previous version, but I do think the reverb on the new ones might be a little better -- a little more "Fendery," for lack of a better word. I wish they'd had a Princeton Reverb for me to compare it to, but the Blues Junior sounded really nice.

Oh, and I bought some picks on my way out because I felt like I was due to make a purchase there. I've been meaning to try the Dunlop Primetone picks and I snagged a pack in 1.0 gauge with the raised grip. I admittedly don't play with a pick much, but after a quick audition at home, I like the feel and sound. Comparable to the two John Pearse picks I have, with perhaps a slightly quieter and more "natural" feel if there is such a thing with a pick. As a designer by trade, I appreciated the branding and packaging, which I thought were more well-considered than I'm used to seeing with guitar accessories. Thumbs up to Dunlop for that.

It was a good trip, short and sweet. Barring some kind of surprise at the finish line, I think 2018 will be the year of the D-18. I haven't played a guitar I like significantly better at any price, and the ones that I've liked as much are typically 2-3 times as expensive. We'll see. I do have a birthday coming up...
Old 02-17-2018, 03:07 PM

You certainly won't go wrong with one. Happy hunting.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You certainly won't go wrong with one. Happy hunting.
Thanks, that sure seems to be the case based on the armful I’ve played in recent years.

I occasionally flirt with the idea of getting something different, whether a spruce/mahogany dreadnought from a small shop or a rosewood Martin, but I keep coming back to the D-18...

We’ll see what happens.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sounds like a good time. I had the opportunity to play a new sunburst D-18 today. Great instrument - I think you need to get yourself one!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:57 PM

'Over on the Taylor wall, however, was a D-35'

Is this usual for Guitar Center?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-17-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Sounds like a good time. I had the opportunity to play a new sunburst D-18 today. Great instrument - I think you need to get yourself one!
Nice. I haven’t seen anything other than the natural finish in person. I have flirted with the idea of the ambertone shade top but I think I will most likely end up with a classic natural finish. We’ll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
'Over on the Taylor wall, however, was a D-35'

Is this usual for Guitar Center?
Probably happens quite often, depending on how any given store sets up their acoustic room(s). This particular store has a room dedicated to the higher-end instruments, with a Taylor-branded wall on one side — a fairly recent addition, I might add. The Martins and Gibsons and a handful of Breedloves are on the opposite wall and the shorter wall to the side. Looked like there were a few too many Martins so they put three or four over on the side with the Taylors.

The guitars seemed to be getting along just fine when I was there, but keep in mind, these were all X-braced Taylors — who knows what will happen when the V-braced guitars start showing up...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 PM

Nice reviews - makes for delicious reading regarding some classic acoustic guitars.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post

The guitars seemed to be getting along just fine when I was there, but keep in mind, these were all X-braced Taylors — who knows what will happen when the V-braced guitars start showing up...
Oh-oh... the Re-imaginations vs the Vees.
I see a battle for ultimate intonation happening!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. I have just the solution for you down in Nashville.

http://guitars.com/inventory/aa10270...inker-mahogany

Last edited by IndyHD28; 02-18-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Nice reviews - makes for delicious reading regarding some classic acoustic guitars.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Oh-oh... the Re-imaginations vs the Vees.
I see a battle for ultimate intonation happening!
Yep. Unless a neon green J-45 shows up and blinds all the other guitars into submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. I have just the solution for you down in Nashville.

http://guitars.com/inventory/aa10270...inker-mahogany
I’ve seen those and heard they are a hit. I’d love to play one and see how it compares. I did slightly prefer the standard model to a D-18A 1937 when playing back-to-back recently, so who knows. The other D-18 variant I’d like to play is the Outlaw.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Nice write-up! As an owner of a 2017 D18 and a 2017 D35. I have to agree that they are great guitars!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Thanks!

Yep. Unless a neon green J-45 shows up and blinds all the other guitars into submission.

I’ve seen those and heard they are a hit. I’d love to play one and see how it compares. I did slightly prefer the standard model to a D-18A 1937 when playing back-to-back recently, so who knows. The other D-18 variant I’d like to play is the Outlaw.
I assume you are sure you were playing a 37A not a 39A when a/bing with the standard D-18? I only ask because the 37A is very different from the standard and they are not to be found just everywhere. However the 39A is another story!

You do owe it to yourself to play the Outlaw and if at all possible one of the sinker mahogany guitars that Gruhn's is selling. Both are truly fantastic boxes!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Nice write-up! As an owner of a 2017 D18 and a 2017 D35. I have to agree that they are great guitars!
Thanks. Good call on picking up both those guitars — I get the sense they’d make for a nice pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA48 View Post
I assume you are sure you were playing a 37A not a 39A when a/bing with the standard D-18? I only ask because the 37A is very different from the standard and they are not to be found just everywhere. However the 39A is another story!

You do owe it to yourself to play the Outlaw and if at all possible one of the sinker mahogany guitars that Gruhn's is selling. Both are truly fantastic boxes!
Yep, it was a lightly used D-18A 1937 that I was putting up against a new standard model. I haven’t played the 1939 variant.

Given the scarcity of the Outlaw models and my proximity — or lack thereof — to Nashville, I’m not sure I’ll get to play either of those flavors of D-18, but we’ll see!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:53 AM

Oh...the thrill of the hunt! Enjoy.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Default Have you checked out the 510e.

I purchased a 510e last year about this time, from Sweetwater. they assured me that I could return the guitar if I didn't like it.
No one locally carried that model, and they still don't.
As soon as I pulled it from the case and tuned it up, I knew this one was a keeper.
I promptly took it to my local dealer who sells Martins, and compared them. The D 18 was a recent addition to the wall at the store.
The Taylor won out on almost all accounts.

Playability- Taylor
Tone /Sustain-Taylor
Looks- Taylor
Volume- Martin

I still love D18s, and if I found a great deal on a one I would probably buy it.
If possible you might want to give the 510 a look.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion