The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 06:00 PM

Todd wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I often used 80/20 on mahogany Martins, especially vintage mahogany Martins. Mediums of course.

I tried a number of different string alloys when I got my Martin D-18 a year and half ago, including three different brands of nickel and nickel-bronze strings. Surprisingly, the strings that sounded best on that guitar, in every respect, were (and are) John Pearse 80/20 strings.

I couldn’t quite believe it, so I went back to phosphor bronze strings for a while, but the 80/20’s sound considerably better. You’d think they’d give you LESS bass response, because of their enhanced treble response, but what they do is give greater clarity and definition to the lower strings. Which, the way your ear hears it, means greater perceived bass response.

Which is very cool....

What’s more, because 80/20 strings have slightly less tension than phosphors, they make the guitar just that much more playable.

Like Todd, I’m also a medium gauge string kinda guy, so the regular set I use on that guitar is the medium gauge John Pearse 80/20’s.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
...I couldn’t quite believe it, so I went back to phosphor bronze strings for a while, but the 80/20’s sound considerably better. You’d think they’d give you LESS bass response, because of their enhanced treble response, but what they do is give greater clarity and definition to the lower strings. Which, the way your ear hears it, means greater perceived bass response...
I think we're hearing pretty similar things. The PB "zing" I call it, maybe "sizzle" works too, can be distracting on some guitars. When that happens 80/20 is often a good fit. It seems counterintuitive because 80/20 strings are often described as "bright" but they don't come across that way on all guitars.

FWIW, I had a great D-28 once (stupidly sold, but actively looking for it years later) that behaved the same way. Nothing sounded as good as 80/20 on that guitar.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Just try all the sets mentioned in these posts and choose the ones that sound best to you. That's a bad joke, but that's also how it is. String choice can make a big difference, and for everyone who wants a "warm" D18 with "a strong fundamental" and "no fizzy overtones" there's someone at the other end of the spectrum who just loves "fast attack" and "bright, chimey, complex harmonics" and "tight, airy, articulate bass." And some of us want all of those things! I like nickel bronze on my mahogany guitars, as many others do. IMO, it gives me the balance I like of fundamental to overtones. But who care what I like? What do you want? Good luck. As others say, the money "blown" in extra string sets is worth it if you can zero in on a set you love.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:31 PM

I tried the John Pearse 80-20's on my D18 and liked them. I also use the Martin Retros currently. The Retros give the guitar a punchier voice but the 80-20's sound sweet. A lot depends on your style of playing .
One thing is certain, the D18 still sounds like a D18 which is good.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-18-2018, 03:54 AM

I've been using Martin Retro Laurence Juber. They sound great and seem to be easy on the fingers.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

This is all very simple for me.
For my dreadnoughts - whether hog or rose - D'addario EJ17s.
Next.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion