The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
It stands to reason that the nicer your raw pickup sounds (to you), the better result you will get with a 50/50 blend!
ie: The Maton with just undersaddle is almost 'bearable' and a lot of people play many types of gigs just like that...once it is up louder...etc, the speakers change the sound a fair bit. BUT ...if I was playing my old LG3 with a Thinline undersaddle only...to me, purely horrible.

Now speaking of my LG3, I was really pleased with the improvement Tonedexter made to the raw pickup sound - it is a nice sound I can run with, but it isn't particularly 'acoustic' on lead lines, better for strummy things. On single line things up the neck, it probably sounds more like an electric semi acoustic or something.

Back in the late 80s, I use to get a good sound with my resonators out front with just a Shure SM57, a match made in heaven for live resos really (main problem as usual was foldback)- the 57 cuts the top and bottom off the sound but the 'reso' remains. The same mic with a upscale acoustic is pretty awful - wood bodies need more of....dunno, everything.

(In a while, I will play/record the LG3 with a couple of lead lines on mic vs. TD. to show what I mean)

BluesKing777.
Good point. I think that's why I am more inclined to try the Dazzo or K&K. I could leave the Amulet in or give it another installation try but I feel I am at the point where I want something passive.

I used to use the Aura and found that it would cut out some of the warmth and low end, which is why I did not love it. I feel as though this was on purpose to make the images work better in a live setting. I haven't played with the TD enough but from what I have heard through testing, the low end is still there along with the warmth. This is a big plus for me.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:04 PM

The pickup also needs to be working nicely! The all image won't hide a problem with the pickup, though I hoped it might. My 93 Lowden LSE1 sounds fantastic acoustically but the old (probably factory installed) EMG undersaddle is giving problems with the 2nd string out of phase. The strings sounds fine acoustically, looks good around the neck, bridge, nut, tuners are great. Still waiting for my busy tech to ring me back, but could be a long wait so I will ring him in a minute.

So if he can't fix the pickup, obviously something not working right under the saddle on the 2nd string, I will get him to rip the whole thing including that nuisance battery on the neck block and wires everywhere and get...a K&K!

But anyway, I thought the wavemap 'mic on full' setting might hide the 2nd string problem....NO, no and no! May even sound worse...

(So the guitar sounds fine acoustically and the K&K will fix it electronically!. Correct weight!)

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification