The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Next Taylor purchase?

Hi all,

I've got a 310CE w/ the ES system and I'm itching for something else, more sustain, a little warmer ... definitely a Taylor but which one?

410's with the Ovangkol don't seem much different, maybe a little brighter...and it looks like the 710 is the nearest with Rosewood back and sides.

Also how many here would recommend using Ebay for the purchase of a second hand 7 or 8 series?

thx,

Acustiman
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 PM

I know this is the Taylor part of the forum and I'm sorry if this seems offensive (not intended), but have you considered looking outside the realm of Taylor guitars for your next purchase?? Play some Larrivees, some HD's, some Martins. . .you'll hear NEW dimensions to your playing style and to luthiery. You owe this to yourself as an artist. Thanks for putting up with me.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I know if I was looking for at guitar of that description MY next Taylor purchase will be a Martin, Larrivee, Goodall, Bourgeous, SCGC, Lowden/Avalon or custom builder.

There are so many incredible guiatars out there right now..many tonal palates to choose from. What you describe tends not to be what I think of as Taylor's strong point re; sound (Former 814 CE owner here,-probably one of the more "balanced" Taylor models out there.)
Re; eBay, NO. I think if you are try to "roll the dice" for a blind Taylor purchase off eBay looking for one with warmth, sustain and balance you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If looking for a used Taylor I'd first try out the forum's "Marketplace" section. Lots of used Taylors turn up there.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 AM

a bit more sustain, and warmer...

I'd shoot for the 7xx, especially one with a cedar top. Although in the world of guitar makers and luthiery, cedar is considered "warm and classical fit tonewood", Ive found that Taylors; due to being generally bright in their bracing pattern, dont yield problems with this common remark.

I am a former owner of an 814ce, and it was a wonderful guitar with rosewood + sitka, but i find the 714 much warmer and better for me to play. As a disclaimer, i should mention i do some aggressive strumming on the 714 as well, and it hasnt proved a problem thus far.

On a side note, Taylors come equiped with Elixers.. which are really bright. I love them cause they last a long time (my hands sweat a lot), but tone wise, it is really up there in the bright range. Try some other brands, its amazing to see what other types of strings can do to affect the overall tone of your guitar.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:38 PM

Thanks all for the responses!

I've definitely looked at other guitars/brands, and I've owned a Larrivee (DO3). The latest bunch of upscale Larrivee's through San Ash were phenomenal. I just really like the Taylor neck/action, I can play it much longer..it seems.

That said I'll keep the 7 series in mind and my string choice.

thx,

-Acustiman
Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Here's a thought

My latest Taylor might be your perfect next Taylor. The 710-L9, with the short scale, is amazing and could be just what you want. Check out the little video on the Taylor website. One of the effects of the shorter scale (only a 5/8 inch difference!) is a deeper, warmer tone. Bob describes it as "woodier." Whatever the adjective, I fell for it hard and love it.

Ben
710-L9

Last edited by aylorTay anFay; 02-24-2005 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustiman
Hi all,

I've got a 310CE w/ the ES system and I'm itching for something else, more sustain, a little warmer ... definitely a Taylor but which one?

410's with the Ovangkol don't seem much different, maybe a little brighter...and it looks like the 710 is the nearest with Rosewood back and sides.

Also how many here would recommend using Ebay for the purchase of a second hand 7 or 8 series?

thx,

Acustiman
First of all, welcome to the AGF! It's a perfectly good place to waste a bunch of time! Just kidding, of course.

Secondly, allthough I've done OK using eBay, I would recommend the market place section here over eBay.

Hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the responses!

I've definitely looked at other guitars/brands, and I've owned a Larrivee (DO3). The latest bunch of upscale Larrivee's through San Ash were phenomenal. I just really like the Taylor neck/action, I can play it much longer..it seems.

That said I'll keep the 7 series in mind and my string choice.

thx,

-Acustiman
Re; action. ANY guitar with a good neck angle and decent fret job can be set up to play as low as any Taylor. A gutar set up is part and parcel of the services provided by good stores at the time of purchase. I end up taking my guitars in after a month or so to get tweaked again and again about every year.
Not buying a guitar because you don't like where the action is is like not buying a car because you don't like where the seat is set.

(BTW, I'm NOT talking about cranking on the truss rod to adjust the action..that is NOT what it is there for. Here is a link to Frank Ford's "Frets.com" site on adjusting a guitars action;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...raction01.html
And at the nut;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...nutaction.html
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...uts/nuts1.html

They myth that other brands can't be set up to play as low as Taylor is just that.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 02-22-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I just really like the Taylor neck/action, I can play it much longer
Acustiman,
Like Jeff M said, don't let action out of the box scare you. Taylor sets their action very low right from the factory. They have cashed in on folks playing them at the guitar store and liking that low action.

Some companies like Martin tend to leave the saddle higher, opting for more robust sound due to that higher saddle. A large percentage of Martin buyers are into bluegrass and volume and punch is more desireable. It's easier and less expensive to shave a saddle to get lower action than to buy and carve a new one and get more volume.

The bottom line is almost any guitar can be set up to play as easily as a Taylor. If you remove that obstacle it will open up a bunch more choices. And while Taylor's neck profile is comfortable, it's not unlike profiles every other manufacturer offers.

I would agree with others, when you desribe the tone you're after, Taylor doesn't come to mind. I owned a Taylor 810 Engelmann that I purchased after playing a ton of 10s. I longed for the same tone you're after.

More sustain, a little warmer... Have you played the Larrivee D60? It's a sloped dread, Sitka and Rosewood. More sustain and a little warmer comes to mind when I think of that guitar. The D50 is Mahogoney and Sitka. It sounds a bit prettier.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the AGF.
The AGF -- were not just Taylor anymore

max
Old 02-22-2005, 08:14 PM

My next Taylor ( actually my first) will be the 710CE-L9. I already have three Martins, and want something just a little brighter. I heard Bob Taylor play the 710 this past October, and it blew me away. I knew I had to have one, and with a little luck, I will in a couple of weeks.

Roger
Old 02-23-2005, 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=Acustiman]Hi all,

Welcome to the forum . More sustain?? a little warmer?? definitely a Taylor?? 710ce,710ce,710ce.
nough said.

Rich
Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Thanks all...good food for thought.

Did I mention I've got a friend that just picked up a 510 (1980 something) the guy he's buying it from never really played it...absolutely no fret wear. Anyway the thing just resonates incredibly against your side, and has this nice balanced tone high to low.

...I should be so lucky.

-Acustiman
Old 02-23-2005, 02:02 PM

The proof in how a guitar will appeal to you is what you think of the tone after a few months of playing it. It's strengths and weaknesses become much more apparent with familiarity (kind of like a relationship!).
Best to play as many guitars as you can....and go back and play them some more. Gives you your best shot at ending up with one you will be happy with.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 PM

i'm planning my final purchase for a long long time. i've been in contact with my dealer over and over through the past few weeks and it's just a matter of when to order now. i forgot how fun this was! haha. I haven't decided on specs yet but it's going to be a w10 or w15 of some form. most likely a w15. cant wait!

Mark
Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsdmb
i forgot how fun this was!
Don't forget maddening.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion