The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Buffalo Bros. just got back to me and are interested in a trade for my Gibson Les Paul Gem Series . So I'll drive down in a few days and try all these out , keep them coming .
Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 PM

All good suggestions and at this price point you can get a sweet amp. As usual try as many as you can. We all have different ideas as to what sounds good. Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Regular Guy

Here's a preview of the TT Combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Gy2UUqzV0

It comes standard with the Celestion G12H speaker.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:55 PM

Here is another option I'm mulling over . I have a friend who's a natural wiz at electronics also a very good guitar player . With his help jam a 5E3 or champ 5F1 kit into this old Grundig radio cabinet . Oh ya' that Orange is a little to heavy metal for me , does do alot for a little amp though .
Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 PM

I love, love, love, my Li'l Dawg amp. Apparently, he's not building cabinets right now, but he does some great work. I don't know if you want/need an amp right now or not. When I got mine, I had been on his waiting list for 9-12 months. But I chose everything from the tubes and speakers to the color of the light and how dark the tweed was made. I don't know of anywhere else to get a handmade point-to-point wired amp for those prices.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjordan View Post
I love, love, love, my Li'l Dawg amp. Apparently, he's not building cabinets right now, but he does some great work. I don't know if you want/need an amp right now or not. When I got mine, I had been on his waiting list for 9-12 months. But I chose everything from the tubes and speakers to the color of the light and how dark the tweed was made. I don't know of anywhere else to get a handmade point-to-point wired amp for those prices.
I've contacted him , he's a good guy . His price's now are the same as most others so I would have to sell somthing to afford one , if my Les Paul Gem sells I'll probably go that route .
Here is a good example of what I'm looking for , tons of tone at low volume .
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fY03ag...eature=related

Last edited by korby; 10-26-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korby View Post
I've contacted him , he's a good guy . His price's now are the same as most others so I would have to sell somthing to afford one , if my Les Paul Gem sells I'll probably go that route .
Here is a good example of what I'm looking for , tons of tone at low volume .
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fY03ag...eature=related
You might want to check out that 50s Gibson BR-9 amp that Buffalo Bros has - chould be close to what you're looking for. A good 5e3 clone is always fun, too
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Korby -- I sent you a PM. As we used to say at work, "keep or discard" :-)
Old 10-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Check out the Kustom Coupe 36. It's got a lot of great features and really good sound, too.

Glenn D.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Crate V3112. Make sure its the OLDER version and not the newer one. $399 and its one of the best tube amps Ive ever owned. Even better than a Boogie IMHO.

Taylor 2009 DDSM Custom Build; LR Baggs Hex (Comes with the DDSM)

R. Taylor Style 1, Short Scale Neck, Adi Top, Madagascar Sides/Back, LR Baggs Anthem: 2010

Taylor BTO; 814C Florentine. Adi top and bracing. AA grade EIR, Gotoh tuners. Honeyburst top. No electronics (installed LR Baggs Anthem) Tropical Vine Inlay
Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM

I like the Fender Reissue Blues Deluxe. Its circuitry is based on the '50s Bassman.

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2232200000

Another one worthy of consideration is the $430 Carvin Vintage 16. It is switchable between a 16 watt and 5 watt mode.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...duct=VINTAGE16
Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Hey Korby. I'm as into electric stuff as I am acoustic and have had dozens of amps. I also like low wattage amps where you can play at reasonable volumes and still get good tones. I think I have an amp for you. The Goodsell Super 7. It's a 1x12 combo, very lightweight, pentode/triode so that you can switch between 2W and 7W. It's also footswitchable between clean and crunch channels. There is an option for reverb and tremolo if you want. There's a used Super 7 plus on the Gear Page for $1000. It's a tad above your price range but the Super 7 on that site sold for $750. recently. Listen to the clips on the Goodsell site. I have a Super 7 Plus and it's a great little amp. The Super 17 is a phenomenal amp as well.

I've had a Peavey Classic 30 and it's a good amp for the price, but not at the level of the Goodsell. A good silverface Fender Princeton Reverb might be close to your price range, but you'd have to get reasonably loud to get a really nice breakup.

There's a nice Carr Hammerhead on TGP as well for $1000.
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany

Last edited by akivisuals; 10-28-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:41 PM

Just curious, but, why would you want to spend that much $$$ for a bedroom amp? In your shoes, I would take a long hard look at the little guys, like Blackheart Little Giant or Little Ant, Epiphone Valve Jr, or (if you really want to spend more than necessary) the ZVEX Nano.

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."
Old 10-28-2008, 05:02 PM

I bought this to ease the gas pains , I can now take my time for the amp thats perfect for me . Buffalo Bro's just made a very good offer on my Les Paul , as I can get some time I'll be checking out alot of the amps you've recomended . mudbean from my research great low watt amps are very expensive , not sure why .
Old 10-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbean View Post
Just curious, but, why would you want to spend that much $$$ for a bedroom amp? In your shoes, I would take a long hard look at the little guys, like Blackheart Little Giant or Little Ant, Epiphone Valve Jr, or (if you really want to spend more than necessary) the ZVEX Nano.

mud
For the same reason you buy a nice guitar over a cheap one. I want to hear good tone in my living room as well as on stage. The Goodsell Super 7 is loud enough for me to play on stage with my drummer (he's not heavy handed). Some of those cheaper amps, well, they just don't sound all that great to me. I had the Zvex Nano, actually I had 2 of them, and they just don't sound that amazing to me.
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification