The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it was a big Gib. But this was the kind of performance that gives hope to garage bands getting started: "Hey! We can do that!"
Old 01-21-2018, 05:17 PM

Yea the Kid is lacking..the first song sucked...

I just like the Acoustic tone on the second song.. Thats it, voical style I didn't like
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
What a great illustration of what I consider to be the quintessential "modern" acoustic guitar sound! At least that's the sound I hear in my head that I think I'm chasing. Full with good bass suppport. The brightness is created with resultant harmonics, almost like a 12 string. If I had that guitar I don't know that I'd need any others.

What is it?
The guitar in the shadows from that kid Troye Sivan's band? If that's the one you mean, I'm guessing that the sound you heard had a whole lot more to do with the system and the processing (and maybe whatever you had at your end) than it did with the guitar.

Not my style of music at all, but nothing against the musicians -- I just doubt that there's all that much connection between the instrument itself and what you heard over the TV.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
The guitar in the shadows from that kid Troye Sivan's band? If that's the one you mean, I'm guessing that the sound you heard had a whole lot more to do with the system and the processing (and maybe whatever you had at your end) than it did with the guitar.

Not my style of music at all, but nothing against the musicians -- I just doubt that there's all that much connection between the instrument itself and what you heard over the TV.
Kinda like a record.

rct
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
Kinda like a record.

rct
Fair point. There's that, and I don't suppose it's trivial. I get that Chris Eldridge sounds different at 12 or 25 feet, un-mic'd, than he does on a record; and maybe different still through the system in, say, a big hall when he's playing with the Punch Brothers.

Still, some productions try to capture more of the character of a particular instrument than others. And some productions seem to be after something else entirely. I watched SNL last night with my son -- to me, it sounded like some-acoustic-guitar-or-other -- stripped down only relative to the heavier electronic sound that dominated the first track (and parts of the second). Maybe it's me, or me and my recollection -- the guitar sounded fine but not particular.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Fair point. There's that, and I don't suppose it's trivial. I get that Chris Eldridge sounds different at 12 or 25 feet, un-mic'd, than he does on a record; and maybe different still through the system in, say, a big hall when he's playing with the Punch Brothers.

Still, some productions try to capture more of the character of a particular instrument than others. And some productions seem to be after something else entirely. I watched SNL last night with my son -- to me, it sounded like some-acoustic-guitar-or-other -- stripped down only relative to the heavier electronic sound that dominated the first track (and parts of the second). Maybe it's me, or me and my recollection -- the guitar sounded fine but not particular.
I thought it sounded fine, no more no less than required for live television. It could have been any kind of guitar by any maker.

rct
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
I thought it sounded fine, no more no less than required for live television. It could have been any kind of guitar by any maker.

rct
I'm getting the idea that we formed similar impressions. Not quickly, but I'm getting there.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Watched last night's show. I was indifferent on the musical act, but thought that "Weekend Update" was spot-on. They've gotten much better lately.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:14 AM

I'm not going to comment on the bias Show..

It's all about guitars

That being said, I think most of you are right...It did sound like a guitar should sound nice even across the strings, like most of you said...Processed

But I did like the tone, kind of made me want to go out and try a Epiphone SJ200 just for fun.. since I can't pay $6000 for the real deal..
Old 01-22-2018, 10:57 AM

Looks like a J200 to me though it was never in bright enough light to see it very well.

Love good ole SNL. After a week of the weird in the news I enjoy a good laugh and sometimes hear an interesting musician that I'd never heard of before.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:45 AM

Looks like a J100 or J185 with a sunburst top and mahogany back and sides.

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 12.41.06 PM.jpg
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
Looks like a J100 or J185 with a sunburst top and mahogany back and sides.

Attachment 4751
It looks smaller than a J-200/100. I also see an inverted bridge, not a mustache, to me its a J-185.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Unhappy Which Gibson...........

The inlays on the neck were single blocks, not separated, not dotted, so not the Gibby in the photo posted
I don't know Gibby Acoustic, just Lesters . Sorry
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
It looks smaller than a J-200/100.
I thought J-185 at first, too, but there are a couple of points in the video (around 1:27 and again around 3:25-3:30) where I can pretty clearly see a J-200 style moustache bridge and crown fretboard inlay. He must be a big guy.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 AM

Three things. 1. I love SNL, watch it on Sundays on YouTube here in the UK. 2. Dunno what the guitar was, looked like a j #something. 3. Hooray, tank tops are back in fashion - which is really the most wonderful thing about that video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion