The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-20-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Reaper Templates

As I explore Reaper and learn more about its ability to create both track and project templates, I have to ask whether Reaper or Reaper users have developed templates that can be shared with others already for 1-2 track recording of solo acoustic guitar and/or guitar-vocalist. That would be a time saver I believe for all Reaper users.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Many, many, many templates are available if you look at the forums. The trouble is everyone has their own particular needs.

Forget templates and select some of the other "themes" from the preferences menu to see if you like some of them better than the default.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
As I explore Reaper and learn more about its ability to create both track and project templates, I have to ask whether Reaper or Reaper users have developed templates that can be shared with others already for 1-2 track recording of solo acoustic guitar and/or guitar-vocalist. That would be a time saver I believe for all Reaper users.
I'm possibly a bit confused as to what you are actually asking .

So I will ask why not just create your own templates ? That is the best "time saver " method you can use . Because if you set up the templates specifically for you , you won't have to adapt anything, but if you use somebody else's template you may have to .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 AM

As Kev suggests, just set up your own templates. For simple 2-track recordings, this should take a couple of minutes, at most. Save the project as a template (or project - that's what I do, just load up a saved template-project, then save it immediately to a new folder (song name) before doing any tracking.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I’ve gotten into the Reaper tutorials a bit more and now realize how easy it is to set up either a track or project template. A project template might work great for me since I’ll probably have 3-4 recording scenarios (mono-single mic, XY stereo mic, spaced pairs (mono or stereo), blended mic & pickup). For each one I’ll be using the same AI. I believe my main priority would be to get a really good raw recording starting with the template and than make edit/mixing changes.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Just remember to use 'save as' and not just 'save'!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’ve gotten into the Reaper tutorials a bit more and now realize how easy it is to set up either a track or project template. A project template might work great for me since I’ll probably have 3-4 recording scenarios (mono-single mic, XY stereo mic, spaced pairs (mono or stereo), blended mic & pickup). For each one I’ll be using the same AI. I believe my main priority would be to get a really good raw recording starting with the template and than make edit/mixing changes.
Yes this is exactly what I do. I have a custom template for each of the possible recording scenario's I might want. With all the tracks , all the routing and an all the plugins I normally use, all ready to go as soon as I create a new session. So it is just Record then Mix ..... no fiddling around adding tracks and routing or plugins after I have started recording .

I use two basic categories, one with category with midi instruments, and one without.
The without category is just basic singer songwriter template , with a couple of acoustic guitar tracks set up, rhythm and lead and a vocal and vocal backing tracks. Then I also have bus tracks (aux track in PT) for each guitar group, and a bus (aux track) for my parallel reverb . Then I also have any plugins already substantiated on the audio tracks and bus tracks and in bypass mode ready to start mixing .

I have those basic template types set also in each of the possible sample and bit variations I use.
24 bit 44.1 k --24 bit 48K --- and 24 bit 96k and labeled as such .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-30-2018 at 01:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD