The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Default Palm muting / fingernails

Hey everyone,

recently i was kinda getting into some fingerpicking blues stuff again, but somehow i never managed to find the right technique that both works for Songs where i like to mute the Bass strings with my picking Hand, but also for my regular fingerstyle repertoire which i usually like to play in a more "classical" way with my fingernails. I can play palm muted things (somewhat) fine but only when i cut my nails and pick with the bare fingertips..

Im just curious if im the only one with such a problem (i know im not a good player - but i like to improve) and how you guys are doing it.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

I don't play with nails, just flesh, but I position my hand/wrist on the bridge to mute. I have more success muting the bass than I do with the trebles though. Its a work in progress.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-12-2018, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I keep my picking hand nails fairly short; just peeking over the pads of the fingers. I like the sound of both flesh and nail on the string...

When I palm-mute for anything, I find that it is the angle of my wrist that is most important to being able to mute bass strings yet play other notes clearly. My wrist is slightly bent backwards and canted inward a bit, as well.

Funny, this is a little bit awkward and uncomfortable with my Goodall Grand Concert (basically a OOO size) but feels much more comfortable and relaxed with my Angus F-40 (basically a mini-jumbo size). Don't know why that would be, but I love both instruments dearly... I think the Goodall has more distance between the tops of the strings and the face of the guitar, but I've never measured it.

In any even, the technique of which you speak IS doable, but may need some time and practise to feel totally comfortable.

Whatever it takes, that is a sound you've GOT to get for some songs, so keep after it until it's second-nature! Good luck!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I like to use both a little bit of nail on my picking hand nails and part of my fingers too. I palm mute quite a bit too. It can get a little tricky. Practice makes perfect. As long as you know what your perfect is.......
Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I was never able to get a satifactory palm mute sound until I bit the bullet and worked on using a thumb pick. I now play sometimes with and without a thumb pick, but I gots to have it if I want to get that Chet/Tommy etc. boom chick sound going.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 AM

Hi,

I posted a similar thread last week...palm muting...and then not being able to play clearly the b chord with my index finger especially..it gets muted as well.

I am sort of practicing the boom chick and fell across this when looking for videos on the maton ebg808te (just got this and should be with me in about a week!!!)

His explanation of the position of the hand got me going in the right direction...hope it helps and would be glad to hear from you again maybe you give me some insight on improving my technique as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=tsv8MSbMSlE

No fingernails...just callouses on tip of fingers directly on the chords.

Let us know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write