The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi Glenn,

Wonderful job on a wonderful song!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM

This is my first time visiting the "Show and Tell" section. I was thinking of maybe contributing.

The first thread I click on is this one and see your top notch playing and professional quality singing in a great sounding professional looking video.

I think I'm just going to watch from now on. That really is a great clip you have there.

I can't decide if I want to practice more or if I should just quit now.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Glenn,

Wonderful job on a wonderful song!
Thank you Bob!

I sure appreciate receiving your comments, and I'm so very glad you like this! I had to work pretty hard on this one, so I'm glad it finally came out okay!

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
This is my first time visiting the "Show and Tell" section. I was thinking of maybe contributing.

The first thread I click on is this one and see your top notch playing and professional quality singing in a great sounding professional looking video.

I think I'm just going to watch from now on. That really is a great clip you have there.

Hi Chris!

Well, I am really sorry that my video has discouraged you. If you could have seen me a week ago, maybe you would feel less like quitting.

There is a huge range of stuff that people contribute in this Show & Tell section. Most of what people contribute is not on a professional level, but people are really very supportive here.

I hope you don't quit, and I hope you do contribute here. Regarding practice, we can all use more practice; anything can be made better with more work and tenacity. And a lot of getting better is just that -- tenacity. Getting up the next day and going after it again and again, until you finally start closing in on what you want.

If it helps any, I have done some professional music work, though it was back about 25-30 years ago. I'm also an engineer, and I have spent quite a bit of time working on learning the angles of video programming and audio recording, so all that helps me.

If you ever want help or advice, please send me a PM. Please don't give up.

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 AM

You really did justice to a song that while once a young man's heartfelt tune has now through the passage of time matured into a beautiful reflection on those things we hope are eternal.

Last edited by xilef regnu; 01-03-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for listening and for your comments. I'm very pleased that you liked this rendition.

Regarding the tech question -- I am using 3 cameras, one big picture center, one on my left looking at the guitar, and one on my right looking at the guitar. I also record the audio to my computer using good studio mics for both voice and guitar. I use Steinberg Cubase. All cameras are on tripods. I am in the studio by myself with no one else. I would hate to impose on anyone else to hang around for hours while I mess around with multiple takes.

The panning and zooming from the different cameras is done after the actual recording of the song is finished. I use Adobe Premier Elements. It's not a terribly expensive program and does much of what Adobe Premier does for a lot less cost. So I do the panning and zooming in Adobe Premier Elements as part of the programming for the video before I render the completed video and upload it to YouTube.

I hope that all makes sense. I have sometimes wondered if I should do a tutorial on how I do a YouTube video, but I hardly consider myself an expert at this stuff.

Thanks so much for your comments!

- Glenn
Thanks
I actually got to thinking after my post there were three camera angles

Yep make perfect sense while I have only actually done one music video, I understand the process from taking a 'Making Music Video's In Final Cut Pro X " online class I took as an elective in a larger Music Production Certificate program at Berklee College of Music, some 4 years ago . And as they say "use it or lose it" just now thinking of doing some more ( if I can remember 1/2 of what I learned

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilef ragnu View Post
You really did justice to a song that while once a young man's heartfelt tune has now through the passage of time matured into a beautiful reflection on those things we hope are eternal.
Thank you! And what an insightful comment! I believe you are absolutely correct! Thanks so much for listening and for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thanks
I actually got to thinking after my post there were three camera angles

Yep make perfect sense while I have only actually done one music video, I understand the process from taking a 'Making Music Video's In Final Cut Pro X " online class I took as an elective in a larger Music Production Certificate program at Berklee College of Music, some 4 years ago . And as they say "use it or lose it" just now thinking of doing some more ( if I can remember 1/2 of what I learned
Hi Kevin,

Glad that all made sense! Since you have taken a class on the subject, you will probably be well versed in this subject. I will look forward to your videos in the future, Kev!

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Chris!

Well, I am really sorry that my video has discouraged you. If you could have seen me a week ago, maybe you would feel less like quitting.

There is a huge range of stuff that people contribute in this Show & Tell section. Most of what people contribute is not on a professional level, but people are really very supportive here.

I hope you don't quit, and I hope you do contribute here. Regarding practice, we can all use more practice; anything can be made better with more work and tenacity. And a lot of getting better is just that -- tenacity. Getting up the next day and going after it again and again, until you finally start closing in on what you want.

If it helps any, I have done some professional music work, though it was back about 25-30 years ago. I'm also an engineer, and I have spent quite a bit of time working on learning the angles of video programming and audio recording, so all that helps me.

If you ever want help or advice, please send me a PM. Please don't give up.

- Glenn
I was kind of kidding about wanting to quit. I was serious about the awesomeness of your video, though.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was kind of kidding about wanting to quit. I was serious about the awesomeness of your video, though.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I really am relieved. I'm glad you were kidding about quitting, and I very much appreciate your kind compliment about my video. Thank you for that!

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Great job on great tune!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
Great job on great tune!
Hi Telekplucker,

How nice to hear from you!!! Thank you very much for watching and commenting!

I think that really, this is very much a Telecaster kind of song, complete with a bunch of tremolo in addition to all the twang. I have a Telecaster and considered approaching this song that way, but thought, well... this is the AGF, and folks will probably prefer an acoustic version more than an electric version. But it would be fun to give this a try on a Tele.

Best Regards,
Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

VERY nicely done Glenn...Bravo!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
VERY nicely done Glenn...Bravo!
Thank you very much DR! Thanks for taking the time for a listen, and I particularly appreciate your commenting here! It's encouraging to hear from folks I have known on the forum for so long! I'm very gratified that you feel that this came out okay.

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the S and T! You certainly jumped in to the deep end of the pool with Glenn's song as well as Toby's thread that you commented on.

I knew your post was tongue in cheek, but you are not the only one who is awed and even a little intimidated by the quality of the work here.

I'm not a performer, but a couch player and guitar student, so I do a lot more listening here than posting. But as Glenn says it is a very supportive place. I've received lots of encouragement, and folks have reached out to me "off line" with advice and support. One member even recorded his version of a tune I was struggling with and sent it to me in a pm. So there is lots to be gained by participating once in a while

Hope to hear from you soon!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell