The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Quick comment on the KK + Anthem... it is easily wired up in the (full) Anthem version because the preamp (mounted on the sound hole) has a jack for the UST. So plugging in the K&K instead of the UST is rather easy once you solder a 2.5mm male connector to the K&K wires.

But the Anthem SL's preamp is in the endpin and the UST is hard soldered to the circuit board. You could de-solder it and wire in a connector... but I wouldn't recommend it.
Yes, that's exactly what I would be doing. I de-soldered the Element from the D-TAR pickup. Incidentally, I think D-TAR built a more road worthy product. But, it's not as convenient, nor does it mitigate feedback like the Anthem system. I've soldered on those Baggs preamps before and the solder pads will come off easily ruining the device completely. It would be best avoided by anyone besides good electronics technicians.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I would be doing. I de-soldered the Element from the D-TAR pickup. Incidentally, I think D-TAR built a more road worthy product. But, it's not as convenient, nor does it mitigate feedback like the Anthem system. I've soldered on those Baggs preamps before and the solder pads will come off easily ruining the device completely. It would be best avoided by anyone besides good electronics technicians.
Yes I know. When ever I solder to solder tabs like that (Lyric, Anthem SL, etc) I solder on a couple short splice wires that are one time solders. Then I solder the pickup wires to that. So then if I change pickups, I'm just touching those short splice wires and not the solder tabs.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Yes I know. When ever I solder to solder tabs like that (Lyric, Anthem SL, etc) I solder on a couple short splice wires that are one time solders. Then I solder the pickup wires to that. So then if I change pickups, I'm just touching those short splice wires and not the solder tabs.

Excellent idea. I’ll keep that in mind for future. For the moment, I chickened out and installed the Wavelength Duo in my new guitar. I wanted to give the SL a try, but decided to stick with what I know works. If I feel adventurous in the future, I’ll try the SL. There’s also less stuff in the guitar with the SL.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 PM

So it's been a couple weeks, I finally had some time today to play with it.

Not too long ago I had a Felix to blend the two sources together, but eventually saw that I could get sooooo much more functionality and flexibility from a Helix for the same amount of money. So that's what I use now to blend two sources together. Besides the Anthem + K&K preset, I also have a Black Angel (sound hole) + K&K preset.

As for the Anthem + K&K, here is the Helix setup:
Anthem, high pass at 750 Hz. The 200-600 Hz midrange in dual sources often interacts (badly), so I cut this out so there is only 1 source in this range.
K&K is the main sound, but I remove some midrange and add some high end

I think it's incredibly interesting that the passive K&K has a hotter signal than the active Anthem SL, so the Helix gains it up. And I set it so that if the Anthem volume is 100%, it's rather aggressive and mic'y. But then it's easy to roll of the volume knob back to reduce that mic sound without it affecting the base K&K tone.

Besides the EQ and blending, I have some compression on each channel... and chorus and reverb. The chorus is pretty mild (slow rate, long pre delay), and in the screen shot below you can see that the mix in [brackets] means it's linked to the expression pedal to go between 40-60%. So for strumming songs I can back off the chorus, and for finger style stuff I can roll up the chorus. I've also got a couple Snapshots setup to do similar things with the effects. Snapshots are an easy way to adjust different effects within the same preset.

The blocks with 5 bars are expression pedal blocks (set at -120 db) that I use just to set the EQ of each one individually, normally they are bypassed.

Top line is the Anthem: LPF, Comp, mic preamp, on/off
2nd line is the K&K: Comp, mic preamp, PEQ, on/off

Then they are blended together, and apply the modulation and reverb.

The bottom line is the 2nd processor that I could use for another instrument or mic.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 01-13-2018 at 05:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification