The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 AM

he Kunaki system is fully automated, but its easy to use, and the first time you use it, they'll send you the first (proof) copy for free. The bar code is necessary if you want to sell in online stores as well as registering your work to receive royalties.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 AM

I had investigated having packaged CDs done at one time and although my memory is hazy (please jump in if you are clear on this), the process (and pricing) is somewhat based on the difference between "reproduction and replication". The cheaper method involves burning of the CDs while the more expensive option involves the making of a CD Master that is used for making the copies and doesn't involve "burning".

How much that matters would be a point of interest, but I remember that the reproduction involving automated burning was generally considered an inferior process.

I DO NOT remember all of the arguments, but hopefully someone who has direct knowledge will comment.

I do know that there's usually reasons why one item is significantly less expensive than another seemingly identical item. Otherwise there would be a lot more of those AliExpress faux Martins, Gibsons, and Taylors floating around.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM

I'm not expert by any means, but I think you're talking about Replication/Duplication.

Here's some copy to explain from a media site that might help.

REPLICATION The CD or DVD replication method is typically used for high volumes of 500 discs or more. It involves creating a glass master. That master is then used to press CDs and DVDs. These discs are essentially molded from scratch and created with the information already on it.

DUPLICATION This method is the one with which most people are familiar. CD or DVD duplication involves taking a blank, recordable disc (CDR or DVDR) and burning the information onto it with a laser. Most of us have done this using a CD or DVD burner on our home computers. This method is typically used for smaller runs of 100 to 300 units.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION (and an excuse to talk about cookies) We like to compare the two methods like this: replication is like baking cookies from scratch using your grandmother’s favorite recipe; duplication is like baking cookies by using some pre made, cookie dough you bought at Target. With grandma’s recipe you have to combine all the ingredients, just like how you combine the glass master, polycarbonate base, metallic reflective layer, and lacquer coating to create replicated CDs/DVDs. With the pre made, store-bought dough, all you have to do is slice it up and put it in the oven. Similarly, with duplicated discs, you just have to take the pre-made CDRs/DVDRs and put them in the recording drive.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
I'm not expert by any means, but I think you're talking about Replication/Duplication.

Here's some copy to explain from a media site that might help.

REPLICATION The CD or DVD replication method is typically used for high volumes of 500 discs or more. It involves creating a glass master. That master is then used to press CDs and DVDs. These discs are essentially molded from scratch and created with the information already on it.

DUPLICATION This method is the one with which most people are familiar. CD or DVD duplication involves taking a blank, recordable disc (CDR or DVDR) and burning the information onto it with a laser. Most of us have done this using a CD or DVD burner on our home computers. This method is typically used for smaller runs of 100 to 300 units.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION (and an excuse to talk about cookies) We like to compare the two methods like this: replication is like baking cookies from scratch using your grandmother’s favorite recipe; duplication is like baking cookies by using some pre made, cookie dough you bought at Target. With grandma’s recipe you have to combine all the ingredients, just like how you combine the glass master, polycarbonate base, metallic reflective layer, and lacquer coating to create replicated CDs/DVDs. With the pre made, store-bought dough, all you have to do is slice it up and put it in the oven. Similarly, with duplicated discs, you just have to take the pre-made CDRs/DVDRs and put them in the recording drive.
Yes, thank you. That is the basis for the two distinct processes I was thinking of.

Now the question would be "Does it matter?"
Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It used to - many old CD players would not play CD-R discs. So if you have an old (20+ years) boombox or car CD player, it may not play every CD-R. Part of that is the recording speed - the old players could only handle a low rate (4X, 8X), newer burners are doing 16X and higher speeds. However some older CD players never had issues with any CD-Rs.
Any 'newer' CD players should have no problem playing CD-R discs.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, thank you. That is the basis for the two distinct processes I was thinking of.

Two things:
1. The replicated CDs are supposed to last longer.
2. If you flip the two over you can tell the difference visually. If you ever decide to send the CD to a professional with hopes to get a job, he can tell the difference immediately. If he gets a lot of submissions and is looking for a way to cut the peripheral submissions, that is one of the first things he probably looks at. I know this from working at an organization that has received a lot of submissions.

All of that may matter, or not.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Two things:
1. The replicated CDs are supposed to last longer.
2. If you flip the two over you can tell the difference visually. If you ever decide to send the CD to a professional with hopes to get a job, he can tell the difference immediately.
1. Definitely true. Replicated CDs are a layer of plastic with physical 3-D "pits" covered with another layer of clear plastic. With some fine rubbing compound or even white toothpaste, you can take take a replicated CD that's scratched all to hell and make it play again. Burner CDs, on the other hand, are just a clear plastic disk with some photosensitive paint on the back. Scratch the back of the CD and there goes your data. Put a label on, the glue will eventually eat through the paint, and there goes your data. That said, I've got 20-year-old Pro Tools archive CD's (no label, no Sharpie) that are fine. Knock wood.

2. I think there used to be that stigma, but not anymore. And you can hand a "professional," like me maybe, a CD of either sort and I'll probably just use the printed stuff on it to go find your website or Soundcloud.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 01-05-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
1. Definitely true. Burner CDs, on the other hand, are just a clear plastic disk with some photosensitive paint on the back.
Actually, CD-R is a multi-layer disc with the layers being plastic/heat-sensitive magnetic substrate/plastic. The magnetic crystals in the substrate are aligned vertically, unlike those in audio recording tape. The CD is burned by a two-pass process: Pass one heats the upcoming band to make the magnetic substrate reactive to the next pass. Pass two is made by a magnetic head that orients the warmed crystals either north or south. The two ends of the crystals have different reflective properties. One direction is "seen" by a playback head as a "1," the other is "seen" as a "0." By the time the magnetic head reaches the adjacent band the substrate has cooled enough to be impervious to magnetic influence. Pretty slick, eh?
Quote:
2. I think there used to be that stigma, but not anymore. And you can hand a "professional," like me maybe, a CD of either sort and I'll probably just use the printed stuff on it to go find your website or Soundcloud.
I can only speak from experience. I work at a media company who receive a large volume of unsolicited submissions. Here, it is a criteria the sorters use on unsolicited material.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Okay -- far as I know there's nothing magnetic about either the CDR or the burner. It's photosensitive material and a laser, respectively. Not that it matters either way as per the original poster's query.

As for your company's policy on judging the quality of CD submissions by whether or not they've been replicated (presumably in a large quantity at considerable expense), in 2018 I find that a bit bizarre. On the other hand, I do a fair amount of submission-reviewing in my line of work, and I can't recall the last time I got a CD of either kind. It's all links (great) or email attachments (not great) and the occasional flash drive.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 01-05-2018 at 05:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD