The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2017, 08:19 AM

Default NAMM 2018. Rumors Gossip and Wishes

So I was at my LGS (local guitar/gear shop) to see what's new (waste time) when I saw that he had some LD Dave powered speakers. I asked if he was going to carry the Maui series and he said no. He has been a Yamaha dealer/ importer for over 40 years and said they will be coming out with their own portable line array and he will stock those instead of Maui or others. I asked him when and he shrugged his shoulders and said by this time next year or sooner. So will we see the Yamaha Stage Stick at Namm? I hope so. They've come out with some quality gear in recent years, if this does happen I expect it to sound well above what you will pay for it. Any other rumors?

Should I wait until Feb. for my Xmas gift? Lol. It looks like Bose, JBL and the Maui are about to see some new competitors. I also bet on seeing more battery powered speakers and amps.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-24-2017 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Edited content
Old 11-23-2017, 10:23 AM

I welcome the competition because the choices out there for buskers right now are pretty limited. And with the JBL Eon One Pro having all sorts of trouble, there's a big void in that market segment. Personally though, I've never been a fan of anything Yamaha, they always sound somewhat "off" to me!
Old 11-24-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I welcome the competition because the choices out there for buskers right now are pretty limited. And with the JBL Eon One Pro having all sorts of trouble, there's a big void in that market segment. Personally though, I've never been a fan of anything Yamaha, they always sound somewhat "off" to me!
I think choices for buskers are about to explode. The industry has awaken to the fact that buskers want pro gear with pro sounds. For too long we have only had student level gear that sounded like a toy. All those busking/street performing YouTube videos going viral with 10+ million views had to get someone's attention. I wish for more battery powered solutions with a proper built in mixer. So far EAE is the only one I know of. I hope they make a portable line array.

I also think we are going to see cheaper digital I-thing mixers. The industry seems to love this mix from your phone/tablet idea. Now if they could just add the mixer to the speaker so I don't need to carry a mixer.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 PM

While I don't think a Roland AC33 is quite in the toy realm, I would like to see some better portable solutions. Inverters are still not much an option. Would like to see something with a better power source (not AA format.. more like 18650 batteries). Many of us spend $1K on good amplification (AER, Schertler, et al). Would be nice to see something in the high quality realm with batteries and good run times.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
So I was at my LGS (local guitar/gear shop) to see what's new (waste time) when I saw that he had some LD Dave powered speakers. I asked if he was going to carry the Maui series and he said no. He has been a Yamaha dealer/ importer for over 40 years and said they will be coming out with their own portable line array and he will stock those instead of Maui or others. I asked him when and he shrugged his shoulders and said by this time next year or sooner. So will we see the Yamaha Stage Stick at Namm? I hope so. They've come out with some quality gear in recent years, if this does happen I expect it to sound well above what you will pay for it. Any other rumors?

Should I wait until Feb. for my Xmas gift? Lol. It looks like Bose, JBL and the Maui are about to see some new competitors. I also bet on seeing more battery powered speakers and amps.

is this the trend these days, is everyone buying online instead of LGS because of prices and choices? LGS can only carry some many items due to floor space/cost. Where online store have large warehouses or drop ship from manufacturer. Wonder how many LGS will be around in the coming years.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
While I don't think a Roland AC33 is quite in the toy realm, I would like to see some better portable solutions. Inverters are still not much an option. Would like to see something with a better power source (not AA format.. more like 18650 batteries). Many of us spend $1K on good amplification (AER, Schertler, et al). Would be nice to see something in the high quality realm with batteries and good run times.
18650 type of batteries might not be good for amps since people do leave Amps in hot cars. Could be a safety concern? Not sure if any manufacturer is using these type of battery on Amps, would like to check it out.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
is this the trend these days, is everyone buying online instead of LGS because of prices and choices? LGS can only carry some many items due to floor space/cost. Where online store have large warehouses or drop ship from manufacturer. Wonder how many LGS will be around in the coming years.
I think you will see more and more brick and mortar stores
Go under. And move to online sales..
Old 11-25-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I think you will see more and more brick and mortar stores
Go under. And move to online sales..
This LGS was actually a hybrid where the store is also their warehouse for their online shop. They are normally a few bucks more than a corporate chain but still reasonable and competive prices. I go there because keeping your money as local as possible is more important than most people believe. Don't want to make this a political post/rant.

@Spook
The EAE speakers are probably the most hifi battery powered speakers that I am aware of. I wouldn't mind seeing them build a portable line array.

Rumor: Gibson to release a few guitars in the ugliest color known to man.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
18650 type of batteries might not be good for amps since people do leave Amps in hot cars. Could be a safety concern? Not sure if any manufacturer is using these type of battery on Amps, would like to check it out.
You can abuse them, but they are the same tech as laptop batteries.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Laney AH4x4 (wide range) & Fresco (mid focused) work with 18650 batteries.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Is the Laney 4X4 even available in the US? Also, it appears you can't swap batteries. Only recharge the ones in it. Disappointing but still looks better than most of what I've seen. Can't seem to find a US seller though.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Laney AH4x4 (wide range) & Fresco (mid focused) work with 18650 batteries.
The units looks like to have external charging instead of built in charging? If the 18650 batteries are not charged on the unit, that will reduce the safety concern.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:37 AM

The 18650s are charged externally on the Laney AH4x4, Cuki and I both have the unit
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
The 18650s are charged externally on the Laney AH4x4, Cuki and I both have the unit

It is always the best sounding busking amp I hear.
Martin J40
Old 01-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Post deleted.

Last edited by Luckymud; 01-01-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Wrong forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification