The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2017, 03:32 AM

Default difference between acoustic amp and PA with EQ

right so with an acoustic amp (or an electric) it is tuned in to be an acoustic amp.

so heres my question. cant you get the same sound as an acoustic amp with a PA system and EQ pedal. if so it begs the question whats the point in acoustic amps if you can make a PA sound like one with the right amount of EQ. is there something about acoustic amps that I don't understand?

also a small PA would be a better option in that case 1 because there a lot louder. never understood why acoustic amps are so quite compared to PAs and electric amps. even on my streetcube ex as soon as you put it on the acoustic amp the volume drops dramatically as apposed to the clean electric setting
Old 11-02-2017, 06:48 AM

Ha i'll will bite. But I may be in the minorty.
Acoustic amps are just that amps for acoustic
(As opposed to electric) guitar. In my opinion
(Humble as that is) they can be used in a pinch
For a pa but they are a compromise . Most have
Too small a speaker to get any good bass guality
at noisy bar levels. Amps generally are only 2 channels.
If you want to play out with someone else eventually(you will)
You will need a multi-channel board.
With a decent pa you can get
All that plus more. A lot of folks here use amps
as a pa and will argue this point. My 40 years of playing
out and as a sound technician would lend this piece
of advice... if you are thinking of either buying a pa
or an acoustic amp. Buy the pa. Save your money buy
A good board (mackie lyon and healy) and a good powered
Speaker like a qsc k-12 or k10. You can add a preamp
For your guitar. You will be much happier with the sound.
Then if you want to later you can buy an amp. Just my 2cents.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 AM

In my opinion, acoustic amps are designed to make the typical piezo pickup sound good. Electric guitar amps are designed to make the magnetic Pups sound good. Less power is needed in an electric guitar amp since much of the bass is rolled off and not needed. Acoustic amps have more power because bass requires more energy. You see a lot of 8" speakers on acoustic amps, again, because it requires less energy to drive the speaker. Us acoustic players generally like our low end.

Portability. I like my little AER Compact 60 because it is small, light and sounds amazing. It's is so simple and efficient for a guitar and vocal. A PA would be cumbersome and not worth it for what I do. A PA is best if you have need for multiple inputs and to play in larger spaces.

So, yes, one is better than another depending on your need. Get the right tool for the job. Another way to think about it is an acoustic amp is a small self contained PA.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-02-2017, 10:46 AM

I just went through this thought process and investigation, ended up getting a Line6 L2t. It's a FRFR (full range flat response) PA that can be used for acoustic, electric, bass, keys, iPod, as a monitor, etc. Sold both my acoustic and electric amps, plan to use my Helix into it for electric.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
In my opinion, acoustic amps are designed to make the typical piezo pickup sound good. Electric guitar amps are designed to make the magnetic Pups sound good. Less power is needed in an electric guitar amp since much of the bass is rolled off and not needed. Acoustic amps have more power because bass requires more energy. You see a lot of 8" speakers on acoustic amps, again, because it requires less energy to drive the speaker. Us acoustic players generally like our low end.

Portability. I like my little AER Compact 60 because it is small, light and sounds amazing. It's is so simple and efficient for a guitar and vocal. A PA would be cumbersome and not worth it for what I do. A PA is best if you have need for multiple inputs and to play in larger spaces.

So, yes, one is better than another depending on your need. Get the right tool for the job. Another way to think about it is an acoustic amp is a small self contained PA.
This is what I have as well ..the aer c60-3. I have tried it in a small space as a pa. It worked but to my ear is a bit of a compromise. I find it great for guitar and not so great for vocals. Sometimes at certain open mics I play where I know
the sound man sucks, I bring it just for guitar and use the house pa for vocals.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:28 PM

I started with a PA then added amps for their portability. For me it's not an either/or. My acoustic amps are more portable than my PA and are a better fit for smaller venues. My PA takes more time to transport and setup yet yields a better sound. Having both makes for a versatile modular system.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification