The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Default Alhambra or Cordoba?

I owned lot of beginner level guitars and naw i'm going to make my first purchase of high quality guitar and thinking between Alhambra 7P or Cordoba C10, any suggestions will be helpful...
Old 07-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Anything in the Cordoba line is hard to beat,. Not that familiar with the Alhambra. You might also look at the Kenny Hill guitars - they seem to have a big following amongst the classical players
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

If you're in the States get a Córdoba. If you're in Europe, get an Alhambra. At least, that's what I'd do in your shoes. Oh, also, play before you buy. Price is king.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Don't have any opinion on the Alhambra, but the C10 should be a great guitar. I have an F10 that I'm very satisfied with, and I had a C12 that was awesome. I only sold it because I'm more into flamenco styles than classical these days. Had I elected to continue working on my classical repetoire, the C12 would have stayed.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Don't have any opinion on the Alhambra, but the C10 should be a great guitar. I have an F10 that I'm very satisfied with, and I had a C12 that was awesome. I only sold it because I'm more into flamenco styles than classical these days. Had I elected to continue working on my classical repetoire, the C12 would have stayed.

thank you for sharing your experience
Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I have the Spanish made 7P Alhambra as my back-up guitar (primary is a Goodall classical). It's a great intermediate level classical and I like it better than any Cordoba I've handled/played.

Dave
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I have the Spanish made 7P Alhambra as my back-up guitar (primary is a Goodall classical). It's a great intermediate level classical and I like it better than any Cordoba I've handled/played.

Dave

Can you tell me if strings are touching the neck on your Alhambra 7P see the picture
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
If you're in the States get a Córdoba. If you're in Europe, get an Alhambra. At least, that's what I'd do in your shoes.
I think this is pretty reasonable strategy. As for strings touching the headstock, I am curious. Why would this matter?

hunter
Old 07-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I think this is pretty reasonable strategy. As for strings touching the headstock, I am curious. Why would this matter?

hunter

Becouse it makes a huge impact for sound and this is an issue especially at over thousand price range...
Old 07-07-2017, 01:36 PM

Huge impact??? You can roll the string to the side the way that it touches the headstock or more centered avoinding this. The difference is ZERO.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:38 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

If you're concerned about where the string goes, as suggested above, just wind the other side of the hole. Fewer turns may keep you closer to center, just use a twist lock to cut slippage. But these issues are pretty well universal with classical guitars using the roller-type tuners, as far as I've seen - if you don't install the strings correctly, you can cause problems. Curious to know if it's a more prominent problem with some manufacturers than others, as in my fairly limited experience slotted headstock + fat nylon strings always means extra care in lining up the strings is helpful or even necessary.

Edit: in my view, the E strings in the picture both have too many turns around the post - keeping that thing in tune would be quite annoying.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beqa View Post
Becouse it makes a huge impact for sound and this is an issue especially at over thousand price range...
Is this a problem that you have experience with or is it something you THINK might be a problem? I've owned Pavan TP-30, Cordoba C-10 and several high end $2000-$5000 classicals and this is the first I've ever heard of such a problem. What is the source of your knowledge about this problem - did someone tell you to watch out for it on guitar costing over $1000?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Is this a problem that you have experience with or is it something you THINK might be a problem? I've owned Pavan TP-30, Cordoba C-10 and several high end $2000-$5000 classicals and this is the first I've ever heard of such a problem. What is the source of your knowledge about this problem - did someone tell you to watch out for it on guitar costing over $1000?

Like i said i had only beginner level guitars this should be my first all solid wood guitar, my ex-teacher told me it for first and then i did some research and lot of youtubers are mentioning the same thing and recomending to avoid classical guitar if strings are touching the headstock...
Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Why is this a problem only on guitars over $1000? Why not on $600 or $800 guitars? It would seem to me that poorer quality instruments under $1000 would be more likely to have such a problem, if there is, indeed, a problem, which I seriously doubt . I also question why anyone knowledgeable about classical guitars would even buy into such a thing - it's not a factor of the construction of the guitar, but the way it's strung. It's really a non-issue, especially on guitars of that price range. Besides, the string touching the neck ABOVE the nut would have virtually NO affect on the tone or volume of the instrument - you might see a little difference on an oscilloscope but the human ear would never detect it.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Why is this a problem only on guitars over $1000? Why not on $600 or $800 guitars? It would seem to me that poorer quality instruments under $1000 would be more likely to have such a problem, if there is, indeed, a problem, which I seriously doubt . I also question why anyone knowledgeable about classical guitars would even buy into such a thing - it's not a factor of the construction of the guitar, but the way it's strung. It's really a non-issue, especially on guitars of that price range. Besides, the string touching the neck ABOVE the nut would have virtually NO affect on the tone or volume of the instrument - you might see a little difference on an oscilloscope but the human ear would never detect it.

You have no reason to worry because guitar you mentioned is absolute gem, i'm talking about Pavan TP-30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical