The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-18-2015, 08:07 AM

Default Carvin StageMate S600?

I've read the other posts concerning the new Carvin S600 - I'm wondering if any solo performers are using it for vocals and one guitar? Will one unit work for small to medium venues? How is the bass response? I like Carvin products but I haven't seen any videos of the S600 depicting a solo performance - Thanks
Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 AM

My first P.A. was a Carvin system. Every piece was Carvin ordered from a catalog as a complete system. That was in the early 1990's.
I replaced it piece by piece with quality gear by Ashly, Allen & heath, Soundcraft, Shure, Audix, Crest, Crown, QSC, DBX, JBL, Lexicon, and now use a Midas digital desk to mix.
My Carvin experience was not a good one and I put them in a catagory with Peavey and Behringer.
I am sure they make some decent gear, but like Peavey and Behringer they attempt to make every item needed to have a sound system insted of concentrating on a certain item like Midas, Allen & Heath and Soundcraft only make consoles and Crown, Crest and QSC concentrate on power amplifiers mainly.
Just something to think about....

Jeff
Old 10-20-2015, 04:32 AM

I've not used the S600, but I wonder if you'd seen these Youtube reports. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQhnv1s0wg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C2-MG1Jnsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiFYgMaYZYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ogtIcS6i_M

It looks like an interesting piece of gear, especially if you sometimes need battery powered sound. Generally, I've been happy with the Carvin gear I've used - good value for the dollar, in my opinion.

cotten
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the links - I wish they would show someone playing a decent acoustic guitar and performing some vocals.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM

I have been using Carvin gear for decades. Every piece of Carvin gear I still own works flawlessly. I own the previous version the Carvin S400D and it works flawlessly. I've replaced the two (I bought the extra battery kit twice) batteries and it runs berween 3 and 4 hours on a full charge. As a sound engineer and a graduate of the Berklee College of Music along with being a EEE from UCLA, Carvin gear is second to none. Most that negate Carvin gear are associated to music stores that cannot buy it due to the fact that Carvin has always sold direct from the factory to the customer. I am fortunate enough to live 20 minutes from their showroom in Poway, California. If anyone is comparing 20 year old Carvin gear to current or 10 year old Carvin gear, their opinions are based on the past and not the present. Carvin has been using the internet for over 20 years. Catalog orders are older than that... Ric
Old 10-20-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyEarly View Post
My first P.A. was a Carvin system. Every piece was Carvin ordered from a catalog as a complete system. That was in the early 1990's.
I replaced it piece by piece with quality gear by Ashly, Allen & heath, Soundcraft, Shure, Audix, Crest, Crown, QSC, DBX, JBL, Lexicon, and now use a Midas digital desk to mix.
My Carvin experience was not a good one and I put them in a catagory with Peavey and Behringer.
I am sure they make some decent gear, but like Peavey and Behringer they attempt to make every item needed to have a sound system insted of concentrating on a certain item like Midas, Allen & Heath and Soundcraft only make consoles and Crown, Crest and QSC concentrate on power amplifiers mainly.
Just something to think about....

Jeff
Uh, Peavey owns Crest....(as well as Media Matrix, Trace Elliot and Buddha, among others)
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification