The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-15-2015, 07:54 AM

Default Bose 301 Speaker and Schertler Amp Connection - ?

I had this in the wrong section:

Quote:
My regular amp broke down - the one I was using to drive my Bose speakers.

I don't want to buy a new amp just yet.

I am well aware how great an amp this is and the great sound quality I get from it, so please don't refer me to that ok.

I'm not an expert so I need help - my question is this: how do I connect the Bose speakers to the Schertler amp? OR is it even feasible?

Schertler David Amplifier
A compact combo with two bi-amped channels, spring reverb,
a host of practical connection options, and crisp, clear tones

301® Direct/Reflecting® speaker system -- speakers have separate amplifiers for the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the low frequency driver (woofer). The wires are of the 'frayed end' type so I'll have to modify them with 2 (L+R) Banana jacks.

Last edited by de_Genova; 08-15-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Probably be better if you gave the model of the amp. Do others the favor and find the manuals for the amp and speakers to look at.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Probably be better if you gave the model of the amp. Do others the favor and find the manuals for the amp and speakers to look at.
OK here's the 2 manuals. Hope they're of help:

Manual for Schertler Amp

Manual for Bose 301 Speakers

Page from Schertler manual:

Page from BOSE manual:

Last edited by de_Genova; 08-31-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:20 PM

Initial look through of both manuals indicate No.. there is no place to plug in for addition of external speakers. Not saying it is not possible, just, the amp was not built to do that and would require a modification to adapt the Bose speaker in place of your combo speaker.
Nowhere did I see output impedance of the amp or input impedance of the speakers.
Note, I did not look real hard in the Bose manual after seeing the amp was not set up for external speakers.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:28 PM

The amplifier is biamped, the crossover is before two amplifiers, one that goes to the tweeter and one to the woofer. No idea on what the crossover frequency is or the power rating of the amp. Spec says 180W peak which is meaningless. I think this is the case of, if you have to ask questions maybe it is better you don't mess with it.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:24 PM

Thanks to all for the good responses. I dumped the idea of using the Schertler altogether. Based on what I heard here I decided to just go with a reasonably priced amp - whose use for the time being will only be to drive the BOSE 301 speakers. I'm assuming this is a good setup. Haven't heard the setup just yet as I'm still awaiting the delivery of the amp. But I do anticipate they will sound very good together.

I attached 4 RCA Banana plugs onto the wires of the somewhat 'cheapie' BOSE speakers. [BOSE was $300.00] The fact that they were so inexpensive is why I didn't go all out for the amp - so essentially one cheapie deserves another. But, the BOSE speakers sound very good and totally satisfy my needs. Bought the pyle amp at Staples - [the amps SRP was $310.00 - paid $150.00 on sale]
Product Details

Pyle® 100 W power amplifier has contour control on/off loudness switch and is also equipped with an unswitched 500 W max grounded power outlet on the back.
Pyle® 100 W power amplifier has rotary treble and bass faders which help you to adjust the tone of the sound. Amplifier connects two mics/aux inputs using rear terminals, XLR input and RCA jacks.
• Audio output: AUX RCA
• 100 W power
• Power on/off switch and LED indicator
• AUX 1/MIC 1, AUX 2/MIC 2, AUX 3/MIC 3 output level control, AUX 1/AUX2/AUX 3 RCA input, AUX/MIC input selector switch
• Bass and treble tone controls
• Contour control on/off loudness switch
• Mute terminals, TEL/PAGING terminals, paging output level control, MIC/TEL VOX level control (internal), MIC 1 XLR connector, MIC 1 VOX (Auto-Talkover) switch
• Monitor 600-Ohm 1V terminals (music on hold), monitor 1W 8-Ohm terminals (music on hold), monitor output level control (music on hold)
• Replaceable fuse, unswitched 500W Max AC outlet
• 110/220 voltage selector
• Detachable AC power input
• Dimensions: 3.46"(H) x 16.93"(W) x 10.51"(D)
• Warranty: 1 year limited

Speakers

301® Direct/Reflecting® speaker system -- speakers have separate amplifiers for the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the low frequency driver (woofer). The wires are of the 'frayed end' type so I'll have to modify them with 2 (L+R) Banana jacks.

Last edited by de_Genova; 09-05-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:36 PM

If you want to ruin those speakers keep doing what your doing.

Its not made for that application. Find real speakers at a pawn shop that are correct for that amp .

At best it will sound like garbage.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
If you want to ruin those speakers keep doing what your doing.

Its not made for that application. Find real speakers at a pawn shop that are correct for that amp .

At best it will sound like garbage.
That's why I posted about it. So help me out a little OK? What Amp should I get? I can cancel the order easily enough.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_Genova View Post
That's why I posted about it. So help me out a little OK? What Amp should I get? I can cancel the order easily enough.
dood. read and understand.

The speakers you have chosen will totally fail for live music amplification. You got told already and here is more:

They have a one-dollar tweeter married with a two-fiddy woofer in a pasteboard box. Give them something more than standard stereo at moderate levels and they are gone gone gone. Put them in your kitchen for toons whilst cooking.

Live music and reproduced music are totally different things, especially when it comes to speakers. And Amps.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Final Solution................Denon-pma-720-integrated-stereo-amp-amplifier $65.00 on eBay

Last edited by de_Genova; 09-06-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
dood. read and understand.

The speakers you have chosen will totally fail for live music amplification. You got told already and here is more:

They have a one-dollar tweeter married with a two-fiddy woofer in a pasteboard box. Give them something more than standard stereo at moderate levels and they are gone gone gone. Put them in your kitchen for toons whilst cooking.

Live music and reproduced music are totally different things, especially when it comes to speakers. And Amps.
BTW....the punk kid language style in your response to my post is not appreciated. My suggestion to you is to move your mind out from "the hood" and into the real world where mature people live,,,,,,,in short - grow up.!!!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Had a buddy use a little battery powered practice amp as a PA for his vocals and guitar when he was busking. Much less capable than a pair of 301 speaker. Really depends on the application. Will they handle a 100 person room? Maybe if everyone is very polite and not expecting to have their hair parted.

As a community service, I would like to mention that if you stack the speakers you can pick up an additional free 3 dB of sound output as compared to running them far apart from each other. Acoustic loading in action. Mind you depends on the audience layout you may want to split the speakers to have each closer to their portion of the audience.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:52 PM

This: http://dawnproaudio.com/t50-system.html (ie: the T50 alone, no sub, MAP under $200) will do much more than anything yet mentioned in this thread. And it's at least semi-pro gear, not re-purposed home stereo or surround-sound. So it at least half a chance of surviving live sound production.

We have sold a few dozen and none have come back at us. They are far from perfect, but they ain't bad. And under $200 with a warranty for performance use..........

Dood.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
This: http://dawnproaudio.com/t50-system.html (ie: the T50 alone, no sub, MAP under $200) will do much more than anything yet mentioned in this thread. And it's at least semi-pro gear, not re-purposed home stereo or surround-sound. So it at least half a chance of surviving live sound production.

We have sold a few dozen and none have come back at us. They are far from perfect, but they ain't bad. And under $200 with a warranty for performance use..........

Dood.
I must have said something to have led people here to think that I'm interested in either recording and or playback from or with a live audience when all I'm doing is trying to make my home system sound a little better by adding a new amp since my other one broke down. That's all. Thank you to everyone in the thread for all your help in steering me in the right direction.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_Genova View Post
I must have said something to have led people here to think that I'm interested in either recording and or playback from or with a live audience when all I'm doing is trying to make my home system sound a little better by adding a new amp since my other one broke down. That's all. Thank you to everyone in the thread for all your help in steering me in the right direction.
Aha! Then proceed with your Denon and your Bose. The 301s are possibly the best things Bose ever did (really - they are not Good, but they are Decent) and the Denon is a very decent thing to drive them. You will likely be quite happy with the result, and the ebay price you got is awesome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair