The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Luthier in Central Florida

Can anyone tell me if there is a good luthier in Central Florida?

I have a Breedlove American Series and would preferably like to know of someone who knows Breedloves.

Also, I am rather new to this climate and my hygrometer is constantly registering about 65-70% humidity. What do people use to dehumidify or should I even worry about that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM

I run a dehumidifier in my guitar room during the summer and try to keep it between 40 and 50%. I like the way the guitars sound closer to 40. The dehumidifer heats up the room a little, but it's worth it.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Kenny Blount knows his stuff. http://www.kenblount.com/

Roger

1969 Gibson J50
1975 Mossman Great Plains
1976 Guild G37 Blonde
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY68 12-string
1997 Martin D16T
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM

I am in south Florida and I don't worry about it.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Doug Montgomery and Bill Fels at the Guitar Factory on Fairbanks Ave in College Park have nearly 80 years of combined experience building and repairing electric and acoustic guitars. I imagine there are very few brands of instruments they have not seen and repaired.

Most of us that live in Florida don't worry too much about humidifying acoustic instruments. The climate does that for us. The natural humidity is higher than ideal, For most of the year, your acoustic instruments will sound a little less crisp unless they are kept in dehumidified rooms.

A word of caution, NEVER leave your acoustic or electric instruments in an automobile between the months of April and November unless the air conditioner is running. The heat will destroy your instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair