The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Replacing Tuners on a Taylor 12 Fret Slothead

I'm looking to replace the stock tuners on a 12-Fret Taylor with a slotted headstock.

I am debating between these Waverly's with ebony buttons:

Or these Schertler with ebony buttons:

Anybody tried either of these? Will there be any issues installing them, or are they a drop in replacement?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM

From what I've read, Waverly is a direct fit with the exception the mounting screws are slightly large; just in case you want to go back. I've been tempted to get the Waverly with ivoroid buttons.

The Schertler looks like it will requires a relief cut for the base of each barrel.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Replacing Tuners on a Taylor 12 Fret Slothead

I've replaced both of my Taylor 12 frets with the Waverly tuners and the are a direct replacement and are much smother than the Taylor ones.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Me too on the Waverly's, and they're much better than the stock tuners, smooth and consistent. Took less than 20 minutes to replace.

and:

Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 PM

I picked up a new Martin JDP2 this year, it has a slot head with Waverly tuners, not quite as nice as those pictured. I`ve grown to really like them, they are well made and hold tune really well. Good choice.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 AM

For those that have replaced the Taylor slot head tuners with Waverlys, what tools are required? Does the job involve a bushing removal/replacement?

Wondering if I can easily do it myself or if I will need to take it to the local Taylor tech.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
For those that have replaced the Taylor slot head tuners with Waverlys, what tools are required? Does the job involve a bushing removal/replacement?

Wondering if I can easily do it myself or if I will need to take it to the local Taylor tech.

Thanks
I'm bumping this question. Just got a 812CE 12-Fret and love the sound, but not crazy about the tuners. They are stiff and
the string tension adjustment is not smooth.

I disassembled one and found that there are no bushings in the headstock. The metal shaft rides in holes in bare wood and the hole in the center of the headstock if fairly tight. I added some graphite powder and we'll see how that works, but it seems like a cheap design for such a pricy instrument. Do the Waverly's use bushing inserts? If not, what makes them better? Are there any tuners that do ride on bushings (I realize that would require a luthier to enlarge the holes for the bushings)?
Old 12-17-2017, 06:49 PM

The Waverly tuners on my slot-head don't have any bushings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduray View Post
I'm bumping this question. Just got a 812CE 12-Fret and love the sound, but not crazy about the tuners. They are stiff and
the string tension adjustment is not smooth.

I disassembled one and found that there are no bushings in the headstock. The metal shaft rides in holes in bare wood and the hole in the center of the headstock if fairly tight. I added some graphite powder and we'll see how that works, but it seems like a cheap design for such a pricy instrument. Do the Waverly's use bushing inserts? If not, what makes them better? Are there any tuners that do ride on bushings (I realize that would require a luthier to enlarge the holes for the bushings)?
That's how slot heads are supposed to be done. Part of the elegance of the design is its simplicity. The tuner shafts are installed with an interferance fit initially and they will loosen up over time.
Waverly tuners have a lot of comments about the quality going downhill in the last few years, so take that into consideration. A search of topics should yield further information if you desire it.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Replaced the stock Taylor tuners on my 512 with Waverly tuners with the snakewood buttons. http://www.stewmac.com/Waverly/Waver..._Pegheads.html It was an easy job and they look great.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair