The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-06-2001, 03:07 AM

Post List Your Favorite Tip

I find tips a fun and fast way to pick up some knowledge. My 2 are borrowed from somewhere else.

1. To identify your guitar, print your name on a small piece of paper and glue it to the inside lip of the sound hole. If stolen and found, you can identify the guitar by finding the label with a mirror.

2. Spend at least as much time practicing your guitar as you spend messing with the computer and the internet.
Old 07-06-2001, 09:20 AM

Cool

Some good tips! I had a print shop make me an ink stanp and it has my SSN on it. Every acoustic I go under the sound hole and stamp in red ink this #. I do it on the first string change. On electrics I remove a cover, or something and stamp the number. On my arhtops I have to stamp the # diret thought the F holes. allthough the serial # is great its on paper and easily removed. That red ink wont come out. JW
Old 07-06-2001, 01:59 PM

My favorite tip? Don't try to tune your guitar while sitting under a running ceiling fan. It will drive you insane.
Old 07-07-2001, 05:51 AM

How about -

1. Practicing is work, playing is fun, so just play.....all the time.

2. When you put on new strings, don't forget to tug 'em before you tune 'em.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-07-2001, 12:13 PM

Cool

Yellow in front, brown in back.

Oh. You meant guitar tips? Nevermind.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:53 AM

Pro-Pik fingerpicks can be hard to get on if sized for a snug fit. I moisten the tips of my fingers in rubbing alcohol and the fingerpicks slide on pretty easily.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:13 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
1) The most important thing is the TONE of each note-don't short change that.

2) Play SLOWLY. It will come.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-11-2001, 02:04 PM

Thumbs up

Great post idea. My $0.02:

Never underestimate the havoc that sympathetic tension can create during practice or play. Difficult chord changes with your left hand, for example, can cause your right hand to miss notes becuase the right hand fingers are sympathyzing with the left. Similarly, tensions in seemingly unrelated areas of the body (especially left arm and shoulder) can cause notes to be missed.
Solution? Spend some time practicing very very slowly, paying extreme attention to what fingers, hands, arms, etc. are doing. Also, practice in a comfortable, quite location for maximal results (not, for example, on the sofa in front of the TV). Sounds boring, but it will pay off later.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 07-16-2001, 04:58 PM

Another tip I read somewhere some time ago is "Invest in a good music stand. You will be more comfortable and will tend to practice longer."
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-16-2001, 09:45 PM

Cool

only one thing comes to mind , never put off playing today, what you could play tomarrow
play to love,love to play!
Old 07-17-2001, 07:15 AM

Great idea for a post, Wayne.

1. Play a song you are familiar with the first time you play in front of someone...there is nothing worse than making a fool of yourself with a song you don't know.

2. Play your guitar often for your family. Involve them in the music you play.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Mc:
<STRONG>Another tip I read somewhere some time ago is "Invest in a good music stand. You will be more comfortable and will tend to practice longer."
SM</STRONG>
Ditto...and a good metronome. Using one has helped me build a little speed, but it has to be used correctly, e.g., start with no tempo, then maybe 40 bpm, then 80, etc., etc.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 08-13-2001, 03:22 PM

Besides deciding to practice semi-seriously each day, the BEST thing I've done in years is learn to play without looking at the fretboard. At first, it was a GIGANTIC step backwards and very frustrating, but with practice I've gotten the hang of it. In order to do it, it's helpful to: (1) hold/lock the guitar in the same position every time (the classical method of holding the guitar works pretty well) (2) study new songs carefully and structure your fingering so that you keep at least one finger on the fretboard as you move around (also maintains sustain for a richer sound) so that you always know where you are on the fretboard. If you must take all your fingers off the fretboard, be aware of where your thumb is and let this help you find the frets. Seems like a lot of hassle but, I found the benefits of playing this way to be: (1) one can learn new songs MUCH faster as one only looks at the music as one plays (2) one can play with the eyes closed and really hear the quality of the music produced and (3) one can play with the fretboard and guitar face in a more vertical plane (rather than facing the ceiling) which makes left hand and right hand work more natural and easier.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:20 PM

a good TAB search engine is
www.robottab.com
Old 08-13-2001, 10:13 PM

Cool

Always keep a guitar within easy reach. You never know when that perfect song will strike you!JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell