The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-16-2001, 09:33 AM

Post Hawaiian Slack Key Instruction

Hey Everyone,

I got a great book on Hawaiian Slack Key. It is part of the Homespun series and is done by Keola Beamer, it includes a CD. Man, this guy can play.

Anyway, I have a friend in Hawaii who came for a visit and she brought this to me. I have been having so much fun. The book goes into three traditional Hawaiian slack key tunings. They are:

F Wahine - CFCGCE
C Wahine - CGDGBE
Taro Patch - DGDGBD

Does anyone else play slack key stuff? Anyone use any different slack tunings?

Aloha,
Erm
Old 05-17-2001, 02:40 AM

Keola Beamer is a master of the slack key guitar with his own unique contemporary sound. I suggest you get his CDs "Tales from the Dream Guitar" and "Mauna Kea, White Mountain Journal" (Dancing Cat Records) for some beautiful music and wonderful guitar playing. Ozzie Kotani has a tablature book out for Mel Bay Publications (1st of a planned 3 set). Leonard Kwan and Raymond Kane both have tablature books out. They are old and may be hard to find. There are dozens of tunings, but the published tablature books concentrate on the most popular 3-4 with taro patch being the most popular.
Old 05-21-2001, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info Wayne. I appreciate it.

Just curious if you have ever played a Steve Grimes guitar? I have never seen one here. I am very curious about the offset soundholes in the upper shoulders and the increased bass response they give to small bodied guitars. Are they very popular in the Islands? They sound like the perfect slack guitar? Very interesting design.
http://www.grimesguitars.com/

Thanks,
Erm
Old 05-21-2001, 08:07 PM

Erm: I haven't yet played a 2 holed guitar - they are rare. My neighbor plays and fixes guitars and knows Steve Grimes personally, so I'll find out what I can. I think the 2 holes amplify the trebble sound and gives it more bite and twang. Keola Beamer plays Grimes classical and steel string guitars, both with 2 holes. As is the local, laid-back style, most slack key guitar players end up playing any old guitar they can find. Aloha, Wayne
Old 05-22-2001, 05:20 PM

Erm: As promised, I asked my neighbor about 2 holed guitars and, although he has played one of Steve's, it didn't make much of an impression on him either way. Maybe the difference is more cosmetic than real. Wayne
Old 05-23-2001, 08:46 AM

Howzit Wayne,

Mahalo for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to ask your neighbor about his experience.

Later,
Erm
Old 05-27-2001, 03:44 AM

Erm: Keola Beamer says his 2 holed guitar is designed so that there is no main bracing in the middle of the sound board as in a 1 hole guitar. Without the bracing in the middle, he maintains the soundboard is freer to vibrate, which, I guess, means more sound. "Ovation" makes a whole line of 2 holed guitars with art decoish type graphics on the soundboard. I've seen a few local players use this type of guitar - still pretty rare. Again, I don't know how much of a difference, if any, 2 holes make.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:33 AM

Wow, straight from Keola. Thanks for the info Wayne.

Did you run into him somewhere? I hear he gives lessons on Maui? That would be a cool experience.

Later,
Erm
Old 05-30-2001, 01:53 PM

Learned about his guitar via the liner notes on his CD. If you get his CDs (again, I strongly recommend them to anyone who loves finger style picking), the liner notes also spell out the tunings and how the tracks were made. Keola Beamer is on Maui, but I haven't met him yet. This is a pretty big island for being just an island.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell