The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2001, 12:06 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Post Acoustic neck sizes

I have moderatley large hands (not long fingers, but fat hands) and notice that my fretting hand tends to tire fairly quickly on thinner necked guitars. What acoustic manufacturers make their guitars available with "fatter" necks?

Old 02-08-2001, 11:09 AM

I have seen several people comment that fat necks provide better support and less fatigue than thin necks, even though thin necks may initially be easier to play. I find this true myself. To me, the most comfortable guitar neck made is an older Gibson (pre 1960). I don't know if the Gibson re-issues conform to the same neck dimensions, but you might try some of these.
I also played an early 710 Taylor that had a fairly fat neck, so you might also look for an early model Taylor.
Old 02-16-2001, 07:07 PM

Hi Jeff,

That's a little hard to answer.

Mostly, a guitar neck doesn't get past 2 inches in width at the nut. There are quite a few makers who offer various sizes i.e. 1 12/16, 1 7/8, 1 28/32.

The 2" widths seem to belong to non-steel string guitars, like classicals and hybrid classical/electrics like the Chet Adkins Gibson model, but there are steel strings out there running 1 7/8".

I think you just really have to dig around.
Good luck.

I'm lucky that I have skinny long fingers and I can't tell the differenct between 1 11/16 and 1 12/16 (1 3/4).

-grm

[This message has been edited by gmccall (edited 02-16-2001).]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification