The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2000, 11:12 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Post Played a Goodall Maple today

Today I got the unique opportunity to play a beautiful Goodall with a maple neck and flamed maple body, spruce top, and flamed Koa Binding. What a gorgeous guitar! The sound was very much like my 614CE, but you could tell that the guitar had a little more resonance than the Taylor did, though I think the projection on my Taylor was slightly better. The price? Just a tad over $5000 retail.

This guy James Goodall is making some SERIOUSLY sweet guitars.

J.R.

[This message has been edited by J.R. Rogers (edited 12-05-2000).]
Old 12-06-2000, 09:08 AM

Hey JR,

I had the opportunity to play two Goodalls a week ago. The first his grand concert model, Koa back and cedar top. An amazing guitar, notes rang for days. Great fingerstyle player.

The other was a rosewood dred and after I stopped playing I looked up and a gentleman was listening and said, "That is exactly how a dred should sound to me." I agreed with him. Awesome guitar.

They are pricey, and I think interest is climbing fast with his work, which means higher prices for us. I think he makes about 7 instruments a week? is that right?

Erm
Old 12-06-2000, 11:39 PM

As a Goodall Koa Standard owner, I can't begin tell you how much I love this guitar. I keep it in open tunings where is rings with rumbling richness.

Excellent construction and finish details, comfortable shallow C neck profile, beautiful woods and that distintive "O" sound that James Goodall seeks.

Marc Durso
Goodall / Thompson

------------------
Goodall / Thompson
http://communities.msn.com/Handmadeguitars for pics of my guitars
www.acttrue.com
Old 12-07-2000, 02:04 PM

If it was Goodall's Concert Jumbo body size, it sounds like you played the same model I played at Buffalo Bros awhile ago. By far, the best maple b/s guitar I have ever heard acoustically.

--Gordon Lau
Old 12-09-2000, 12:23 AM

Howdy. I am new to this discussion group.
I currently am lucky enough to own 2 Goodall guitars. A rosewood jumbo, and a walnut/cedar concert jumbo. They will never be leaving my house! I love these instruments! I have owned and sold 6 different Taylors. I have great respect for Taylor Guitars, but they cannot compare to many of the wonderful hand made offerings by other luthiers out there. I have a Collings Maple SJ with a cutaway and it is just beyond words to me. Goodluck in your search.. PS Shop around for prices on Goodalls. Try "Local Music" in SLC, Utah. He sells Goodalls for darned good prices. I bought my walnut concert jumbo there. I saved several hundred $$. (No I don't work for the store, I live in Idaho.)
Quote:
Originally posted by J.R. Rogers:
Today I got the unique opportunity to play a beautiful Goodall with a maple neck and flamed maple body, spruce top, and flamed Koa Binding. What a gorgeous guitar! The sound was very much like my 614CE, but you could tell that the guitar had a little more resonance than the Taylor did, though I think the projection on my Taylor was slightly better. The price? Just a tad over $5000 retail.

This guy James Goodall is making some SERIOUSLY sweet guitars.

J.R.

[This message has been edited by J.R. Rogers (edited 12-05-2000).]

------------------
Old 12-09-2000, 10:29 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Greetings, grantgsc. Welcome to the forum. You're right, James Goodall is making some very sweet guitars. Sounds like you've got some nice ones. There is certainly a difference between a production guitar and a high quality handmade guitar. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The fact that Taylors are very high quality production guitars, keeps the costs realistic and allows us to enjoy them outside of the house... I wouldn't take a Goodall out of the house for fear of something happening to it. (I probably wouldn't take it out of the case much, either!)

Regards,
J.R.
Old 12-09-2000, 07:50 PM

Help... Funny this came up. I've lusting after aGoodall GC and am thinking of selling my W14C.. Please give me some good reasons not to do this... other than cost.
Hurry!
Old 12-10-2000, 10:47 AM

I just forwarded all these enthusiastic posts to James Goodall, and received a very grateful response and his commitment to excellence in the future. So, thanks to everyone!!!

Marc Durso
Old 01-09-2001, 08:51 PM
victor c cook

isnt owning a taylor kinda like a hand made guitar???i know they have production methods,but isnt a taylor the closes 'produced ' guitar that sounds handmade???and consistant??5000 dollars...oh...my ....gosh!i think a thousand bucks is hugeganic![huge/gigantic].my wife would never compomperate[co-operate/comply] with me on that deal....i have no iclue[idea/clue]whose wife would...but then all my buddies are in to boats,motorcycles,guns,etc....so i guess its relative to what you are into..still 5 grand for a guitar...if i ever hit the lottery................
Old 01-09-2001, 10:28 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Victor,
If you really want to loose your mind about pricey hand made guitars then you should look at the website of an old friend of mine. www.monteleone.net John is a skilled luthier who makes Mandolins, Archtop Guitars and some flattops. He used to do some luthier work on my guitars years ago. His guitars START at $10,000.00 and you have to be willing to wait..... Let me know what you think if you visit the site.
Bill.
Old 01-10-2001, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptBill:
Hi Victor,
If you really want to loose your mind about pricey hand made guitars then you should look at the website of an old friend of mine. www.monteleone.net Bill.
MonteLeone Guitars--
Oh my land!
How beautiful!
Now I have another something to save up for. Should only take me about 12 years to save up enough to get one of these works of art. (or sell six of my Taylors, ha ha.)
Is there anyplace where a person could try one of these out? Does he go to the NAMM conventions?
Wowza yowza

Old 01-10-2001, 02:16 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Durso:
I just forwarded all these enthusiastic posts to James Goodall, and received a very grateful response and his commitment to excellence in the future. So, thanks to everyone!!!

Marc Durso
Hey Mark. Any chance you could post Mr. Goodall's response?

J.R.
Old 01-10-2001, 02:20 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

It's so nice to see that the beautiful art of Lutherie is alive and well. This Monteleone guy is a true artisan. His work is simply stunning!

J.R.
Old 01-10-2001, 06:53 PM

well i did it ... traded my w14c in on a goodall koa grand concert cutaway, but havent removed it from the case because i'm waiting for it to warm up after shipping>talk about tough wait
Old 01-10-2001, 07:34 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

I do not know if John goes to the Namm shows but I will ask him. The only dealer that I know of that may have a Monteleone guitar would be Mandolin Bros. in New York, but I will ask John about that as well.
Bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification